Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that would like to engage in a more intelligent discussion on the draft

Legend

User Info Menu

For those that would like to engage in a more intelligent discussion on the draft

This site attempts to inject some science into combine stats predicting NFL career stats:

This is, in effect, what we do when we do basic analysis on combine stats. My example might be extreme, but it illustrates the mechanism at work. We trick ourselves into believing that these attributes don't matter when they really do. It's just that we only get to observe the very best players who have survived an extreme selection process. After surviving selection the differences among players in measurable attributes is swamped by their differences in "error," which is just shorthand for "all the other stuff that affects career success."
    The survivor effect works like this: The fact that relatively low-attribute players were invited to the Combine or made it onto the NFL field means that they had other qualities and skills that compensated for the low attribute. So the selection process introduces bias into that "error" term. The error is no longer randomly distributed, but very likely to be highly positive.
    The lesson here is that scouts should be using the measurables as a "filter" rather than a "coefficient." In other words, they should be looking for red flags where a player might be below a certain minimum level of an attribute, rather than using the attribute as a relative indicator of potential. And as I understand it, that's how teams generally use the Combine in practice

[URL]http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/research/draft/234-combine-selection-effect[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Drrrrrrrr duh Doo Doo .... poopy!!! POOPY!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me...

Legend

User Info Menu

So should they change what they measure at the combine? And what should they measure instead as a better predictor of success at the NFL level?

I think no matter what you measure, there's a tremendous amount of luck in the whole process like ending up in the right situation with the right teammates and the right coaches and the right system that works for a specific player. I've always thought that there's a large % of guys that don't make it because they just land in the wrong spot. And so many guys make it by the same luck.

Legend

User Info Menu

it's hard to measure the amount of heart a player has...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    it's hard to measure the amount of heart a player has...
    Actually MORE HEART is worse.
    If you have an enlarged heart football will kill you.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Actually MORE HEART is worse.
    If you have an enlarged heart football will kill you.
    Penny: I always tear up when the Grinch's heart grows three sizes.

Sheldon: Tears seem appropriate. Enlargement of the heart muscle, or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, is a serious disease which can lead to congestive heart failure.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Once I saw the term coefficient I stopped reading. Math class PTSD...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    So should they change what they measure at the combine? And what should they measure instead as a better predictor of success at the NFL level?

I think no matter what you measure, there's a tremendous amount of luck in the whole process like ending up in the right situation with the right teammates and the right coaches and the right system that works for a specific player. I've always thought that there's a large % of guys that don't make it because they just land in the wrong spot. And so many guys make it by the same luck.
    agreed.
    i use that philosophy when it comes to wrs. most of the time a great qb makes a good/great wr. i really have a hard time wanting to pay big money to a wr when i truly believe there are only a handful a great wrs in the league with 20-30 more that could put up great numbers with the right qb. same holds tru for me when it comes to rbs

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

The last paragraph is key in my opinion. It's what separates the good teams from the bad. Where do you set the threshold combine values below which you won't even consider looking at the player. I expect there are 32 answers in the NFL.