Friday, May 1, 2015

Player: Sammie Coates

Position: Wide receiver

Height: 6-foot-1

Weight: 212 pounds

Born: Leroy, Alabama

College: Auburn

Measurables: 4.43 40-yard dash, 41-inch vertical leap

Bio: Was a big-play, deep-tracking receiver at Auburn as he averaged more than 20 yards per catch over his collegiate career. Has a reputation of being only a deep threat. Coates was targeted 31 times on routes of at least 20 yards with 10 catches for 488 yards and all four of his scores last season, seventh nationally in receiving yards on deep routes, according to Pro Football Focus.

After taking arguably the draft's best playmaking cornerback in the second round, the Steelers completed their Friday evening by taking a playmaking wide receiver in the third.

Auburn's Sammie Coates, by his new positions coach's own admission, is raw. But despite less-than-gaudy overall production in college, Coates made big plays — and in big games.

Eleven of his 13 career touchdown receptions went for at least 33 yards, including almost half (six) covering 56 yards or more. As a redshirt sophomore in 2013, his seven touchdown catches covered an average of 54.1 yards — part of an overall per-reception average of 21.5 that ranked third in the nation.

“He can take the top off the coverage,” Steelers wide receivers coach Richard Mann said. “He's a guy that can track down the ball down the field real well. He has some problems with straight-ahead catching the football, but that's why we drill. And when we get a chance to coach him up, we feel like we can make that better.

“The thing you can't coach up is his athleticism.”

The 6-foot-1, 212-pound Coates has been clocked in the 4.3-4.4 range in the 40-yard dash. Although he ran a 4.43 at the Combine in February, his measurables in some other workouts were among the best in Indianapolis. His 20-yard shuttle (4.06 seconds) was second best among wideouts. His 23 bench press reps were tied for first, his 41-inch vertical tied for fourth and his 131-inch broad jump third.

“That shows the athleticism and the explosion that he has,” Mann said. “He will block. ... He will put his pads down and run with good pad level. A lot of guys won't do that, but we have seen him do that.”

In addition to the big-play ability, Coates made his biggest plays in the biggest games. During games against No. 15 LSU, No. 4 Mississippi and No. 1 Alabama in 2014, Coates combined for 14 catches and four touchdowns, including 206 receiving yards against the Crimson Tide.

“My goal is to be an all-around receiver,” said Coates, who was named second-team all-SEC. “I want to be one of the best at everything.”

The Steelers have had great success in recent years in drafting wide receivers in the middle rounds.

Coates' official NFL.com profile lists his “NFL comparison” as Martavis Bryant, whom the Steelers took in the fourth round last season. The Steelers also have found starting-caliber receivers Markus Wheaton (third round, 2013), Emmanuel Sanders (third, 2010) and All-Pro Antonio Brown (sixth, 2010) in the middle rounds.

During his career, Coates had 1,757 receiving yards with 13 touchdowns and seven 100-yard games. With his size and speed, Coates has all the tools, but Mann acknowledged, “I think we've got a guy that needs some work.”

Mann suggested that Coates initially will compete for playing time in the slot, a spot Coates said he played at times in college.

“I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to get the job done,” Coates said. “I'm just ready to get back on the field and show everyone what I'm all about.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8224719-74/coates-steelers-receivers#ixzz3Yx05jcAo[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I won't make this mistake again...lol. I mean Coates is like Bryant 2.0. Big, fast guy who ran a limited route tree known for having a severe case of the dropsies. The Steelers coached up Bryant...why not with Coates?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I won't make this mistake again...lol. I mean Coates is like Bryant 2.0. Big, fast guy who ran a limited route tree known for having a severe case of the dropsies. The Steelers coached up Bryant...why not with Coates?
    Shawn is on the mark. Continue to build the most lethal offense in the NFL. Who do our opponents cover. This pick essentially eliminates the ability to double AB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Shawn is on the mark. Continue to build the most lethal offense in the NFL. Who do our opponents cover. This pick essentially eliminates the ability to double AB.
    I mean our 1-4 has the potential to be the best in the league. That's huge in one RB, 4 WR sets. Do you play your #4 DB against Coates? Do you stay in base to stop Bell?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm still iffy on the pick, just based on other needs. That said...

Wheaton might not be around long.

BUT, if he is, now you can have Wheaton and AB working the inside/middle and Coates and Bryant blowing the safeties out deep? With Bell as an option to run or drop into the flats/underneath?

Dang, that sounds potent. It also gives great protection against injuries. If your offense can always score, you're never out of a game...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When has Haley ever run 4 WR sets?

He rarely goes to 3, IIRC

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

when has Haley had 4 decent WRs to play?

He still might not, but if he does...

Legend

User Info Menu

AB, Bryant and Coates, combined with Bell, is a really tough combination to cover. Coates draws a lot of Bryant comparisons (lots of speed, but raw and needs to work on hands), but he also looks like a nasty blocker. The Steelers now have a really nice, versatile group of WRs. Different sizes, lots of speed, and lots of quick strike ability.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

Something like 64% in 14. so it's often used and I would believe that we would hold close to the same in 15.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    AB, Bryant and Coates, combined with Bell, is a really tough combination to cover. Coates draws a lot of Bryant comparisons (lots of speed, but raw and needs to work on hands), but he also looks like a nasty blocker. The Steelers now have a really nice, versatile group of WRs. Different sizes, lots of speed, and lots of quick strike ability.
    I like that you mention that he's a "nasty blocker" as well. This is a strong kid. Being a skilled and willing blocker downfield only helps when guys like bell take that dump pass into the next level.