Thread: Prediction: Steelers get their CB

Legend

User Info Menu

Prediction: Steelers get their CB

PREDICTION: STEELERS GET THEIR CB

Apr 29, 2015
    Jim Wexell
    Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

Team may not like the questions that come with Marcus Peters, but those too shall pass.

Kevin Colbert got something off his chest at the Pittsburgh Steelers' pre-draft press conference this week, and it came off as odd for a guy who normally fares well with "elevator music," as his partner, Mike Tomlin, likes to say about worthless chatter.

"There’s so much misinformation," Colbert started, "and it’s really irresponsible on whoever puts information into the media. I think it’s really bad for our profession when people put whatever means they use to get information out to try to influence a draft and they talk about a kid’s test score, a kid’s injury, a kid’s character. I think that’s awful. I think it’s disrespectful to our profession. It’s disrespectful to the game. It’s disrespectful to the kid. I think it’s horrible. In knowing that we really don’t pay attention to it, we’re just going to be true to what we believe. We don’t believe in mock drafts and what people are saying about other teams because so much of it is misinformation. You just lose your mind trying to figure out what everyone’s going to do. We’ll just be true to what we do and feel good about it and live in it."

Huh?

Sounds like Colbert's worried about the PR of a player he's going to draft.

Sounds like he's going to draft Marcus Peters.

They like him and still have him on their board. They need him. They certainly believe they can lean on him. He's a coach's son, after all.

But there's the ugly rumor that Peters "tried to strangle a coach on the sideline."

At least that's what an anonymous scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journel-Sentinel last December. It's been credibly denied, but since I heard it I haven't been able to forget it.
    That has to be what Colbert's talking about.

But I hope they draft Peters, and believe they will.

I sorted through Peters' trials and tribulations at the University of Washington in yesterday's edition, and in my opinion -- and I believe in the Steelers' opinion -- he's the kind of guy who'll survive, and likely thrive, in a stable organization with coaches who'll easily command his respect.

FIRST ROUND
    * Marcus Peters, CB, Washington -- Physical, press-man corner who has ball skills, can support the run, and plays with swagger. Put the ornery guys out on the flanks anyway. It's been my season-long contention that he's the best cornerback in the draft.

SECOND ROUND
    * Eli Harold, OLB, Virginia -- Opened as the favorite on my tote board but received zero public backing. My guess is that on draft day he'll receive little NFL support as well. Harold will be able to help the nickel front a bit.

THIRD ROUND
    * Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State -- Would be a great place to grab a nickel corner and put some real excitement into the Steelers' secondary, but they've left themselves with a gaping hole on the WR depth chart and it must be filled with quality. This polished route runner is that.

FOURTH ROUND
    * Bobby McCain, CB, Memphis -- Well, hello Mr. Excitement. The Steelers haven't shown McCain (5-9 1/2, 195) any interest, of which I'm aware, but I really like him. He'll not only fit the slot, he'll return kickoffs. And interceptions. Of his 12 picks in college he returned four for scores. Yes, replace McCain with McCain.

FIFTH ROUND
    * Shaq Mason, G, Georgia Tech -- Won't be the five-position reserve that could be Max Garcia here, but the 6-1 3/4, 304-pound Mason could become a starter by 2016.

SIXTH ROUND
    * Matt Jones, RB, Florida -- This might be the better spot to land a nickel back or guard, because with this pick the Steelers should be filling a bigger roster need at DE. But I can't find a DE to fit here, so that may have to be addressed in Rounds 4-5. But I like McCain and Mason too much.

SEVENTH ROUND
    * A.J. Derby, TE, Arkansas -- The Steelers brought in several late-round tight ends, and not Derby. I just like this converted QB because he told me more about Heath Miller's move from QB to TE in college than Heath ever did. An athlete with upside.

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/story/1542215-prediction-steelers-get-their-cb?s=68[/URL]
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 04-29-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'd be cool with Wexell's draft...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I'd be cool with Wexell's draft...
    I think I'd be more than cool with it, on paper that would be a really good draft. How they pan out over time, well, that's a different story. Jarvis comes to mind.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I could live with this draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Peters is being talked about as potentially the #1 CB in the draft, I doubt he gets to #22.

You can use "character concerns" as the reason for him dropping, but you don't think all 32 teams have been over his character concerns? the 21 in front of us, and the 10 behind- if someone wants the #1 CB in the draft- he's going ahead of #22. What I find interesting is that Kevin Johnson is being talked up more now.

The one CB not getting the fanfare right now? Trae Waynes. I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually the guy that becomes "more available" around #22.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd take Peters in the first and Harold in the second in a heartbeat
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I'd take Peters in the first and Harold in the second in a heartbeat
    With those two picks in the fold, everything else would be gravy.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Peters would be such a best case scenario pick. Such an awesome addition at 22. You usually need to pick in the top 6 to get a player like him, extenuating circumstances could be the perfect storm.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steeler draft analysis: There's no excuse for no 1st-round cornerback

By Mark Kaboly
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015

And with the 22nd pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select …

Roger Goodell will step to the podium at the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University in Chicago at around 10:30 p.m. Thursday to reveal the Steelers' first-round pick.

It better be a cornerback.

However, it could be an edge rusher.

It could be a safety. Possibly.

The Steelers' needs in this draft have been defined for some time, and the people who make those decisions have been forthright about it for the better part of two months.

They need a cornerback and probably more than one.

But need is a bad word in the Steelers' draft room. Want is a term general manager Kevin Colbert is more comfortable with.

That's understandable, right? “Need” turns into Troy Edwards. “Want” turns into Troy Polamalu.

No matter what the semantics are, the Steelers need to come away with a couple of starter-capable cornerbacks in this weekend's draft with at least one having the ability to contribute soon or they are setting themselves up for failure in a year in which success is realistically within reach.

The Steelers are close. They went 11-5 and have every moving part back from last year's record-setting offense. There's no reason to question if they can duplicate what they did last year on that side of the ball.

Now, on defense … well. They need help in the secondary. Not tomorrow, not next week, but now.

This draft suggests that can be accomplished with potentially four corners being selected in the first round (Trae Waynes, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters, Byron Jones) and as many as seven (Ronald Darby, Eric Rowe, Jalen Collins) within in the first 32 selections.

In the perfect world, Waynes, Johnson, Peters or Jones will be available when the Steelers pick and likely at least one will.

But what if none of them are?

Who the Steelers take will depend on how the first round unfolds — more than any other in recent memory.

The Steelers need, err, want a cornerback, but they also need/want an edge pass rushing linebacker.

That position might not be as critical as cornerback, but it's not far behind. Actually, it's similar.

James Harrison and William Gay are veterans at the respective positions. Jarvis Jones and Cortez Allen are being relied on to have a bounce-back seasons. Arthur Moats and Antwon Blake are former free agents.

It may be boring, but whatever position the Steelers have rated higher at pick 22 is what they will take. That's what they always do.

It's not what they should do this time.

A cornerback is what they want, and it's OK to admit that.

They don't only need a cornerback, but one who, at some point, can produce this year because the trio of Gay, Allen and Blake is going to need help.

It's not coming from B.W. Webb, Kevin Fogg or some veteran they pick up who didn't make it through the final cut with some other team in September.

It has to come from the draft, in the first round, and the Steelers know that.

That's why the Steelers have to pick a corner.

Waynes, Peters, or Jones would be just fine … if they are around.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8224646-74/steelers-draft-cornerback#ixzz3YpI3pURL[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think I would be okay with Byron Jones. I know there are some people on the board who don't like him (cough...K Train...cough) but I could live with that pick.

Ike Taylor's senior season included wins against Alabama-Birmingham, Arkansas State and Idaho.

Troy Edwards' senior season had him blow up against Nebraska...

I'm not overly concerned with the level of competition as long as they guy has legit NFL ability and high football character...the draft is still a crapshoot, but I would feel fine if Jones ended up the pick...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.