Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with Beachum???

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re-sign him. It's that simple. You can't keep a revolving door at the OL. It has to be the most cohesive part of the team. You just can't assume that if you draft a LT in round 1 that that draftee will be better than Beachum who has performed at the NFL level... no way.. Keep the OL in tact as-is.... Moving on.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    He is in the last year of his contract and PFF has him as the 5th best LT. If we re-signed him it would be very lucrative for him. He would be the 4th OL we would be paying over 6 mil per.......

Can we coach up another prospect andreplace him or let Adams take over one of the T spots?

Can we afford to pay him? Thoughts?
    He's not nearly the 5th best LT. Our schedule was soft last season. I think he would be a massive upgrade at LG or RT and we should draft LT in round 1 this year (normally I'd say CB but I am afraid we'd be reaching with what will be left whereas LT we'd be getting 2nd or 3rd best in draft and at good value) potentially giving Ben the best line he has ever had. Restrict him if possible next offseason and see where that goes. Worst case scenario and most likely is he goes elsewhere and we get compensation draft pick. I can live with that. I think we've seen his ceiling

Legend

User Info Menu

How is Beachum a massive upgrade at LG or RT? You typically look for road graders at those spots rather than a technician. His best spot is a LT (or a utility infielder type who can back up pretty much every position on the line).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Beachum, but he was abused, along with Gilbert, by the Ravens in the Play-Offs. He's a very 'functional' player, but he can be upgraded. Can he play OG? Possibly. But he's not a 'strong' player either. He will be fine with the movement aspect of his play, but he could be overpowered at OG. He's a solid player with some obvious flaws.

Does he 'need' to be upgraded? No. But he is certainly upgradeable.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I remember key largo predicted he would be a starter when he was drafted
    Yup. I loved him as a Senior....gave him a second round grade and was on my all-sleeper team.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    How is Beachum a massive upgrade at LG or RT? You typically look for road graders at those spots rather than a technician. His best spot is a LT (or a utility infielder type who can back up pretty much every position on the line).
    because he's played and excelled at RT before. He was always thought to be a good G or RT prospect never LT. His play at LT was surprising to everyone as he is about the smallest LT in the league. I shouldn't say he would be a massive upgrade over Foster but he would be an upgrade. Foster rates out well but Ben bails him out a lot. Gilbert is just awful. Beachum would be a huge upgrade. KB is also a hard worker and has steadily gained strenght that is necessary for him to be a legit stud at RT.

It's true that there's no guarantee a 1st rounder would be better than KB but I'd take that bet...that a 1st rounder at LT and Beachum at RT is better than Beachum at LT and Gilbert at RT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7upnext View Post
    His play at LT was surprising to everyone as he is about the smallest LT in the league.
    If the justification for your surprise about having Beachum at LT is because he is about the smallest LT in the league, then he would have to be considered to be an absolutely miniscule RT, since RT's in general tend to be typically bigger bodied guys than their LT counterparts. Just sayin'.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who cares what Beachum's size is? So what if he isn't the proto-typical body type for a LT in this league. The guy has been solid for us and we don't have a better LT on the roster right now. Gilbert and Adams have been absolutely horrid when tried at that position. If a stud LT is on the board when it is our turn then we have a decision to make but as far as this being a weaker position I don't see it. I think they should pay the guy. I don't feel that he will be asking for astronomical money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Who cares what Beachum's size is? So what if he isn't the proto-typical body type for a LT in this league. The guy has been solid for us and we don't have a better LT on the roster right now. Gilbert and Adams have been absolutely horrid when tried at that position. If a stud LT is on the board when it is our turn then we have a decision to make but as far as this being a weaker position I don't see it. I think they should pay the guy. I don't feel that he will be asking for astronomical money.
    He won't ask for the kind of dollars that "white" Joe Thomas is making.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If the justification for your surprise about having Beachum at LT is because he is about the smallest LT in the league, then he would have to be considered to be an absolutely miniscule RT, since RT's in general tend to be typically bigger bodied guys than their LT counterparts. Just sayin'.
    EVERYONE who isn't a liar was surprised he was able to step in and excel at LT. Height and arm length play a major role when talking about LT traits and success/failure and no scouts and certainly the Steelers didn't draft him thinking he'd be a stud LT as some of you believe he is. If they had he wouldn't have been passed every single round until we finally took him. And that is with us not having much on the line at either tackle spot. I am not saying he isn't good because he is. RT tend to be bigger bodied and slower less athetic than their LT counterparts because LT failures usually end up there not because that is some requisite trait for the position...and LT tend to be tall and massive with long arms. I just think as good as KB is at LT his physical limitations would be a moot point at RT and he could actually be one of the best in the game. He really isn't the 5th best LT despite the ranking..at least to me. I'm just tired of the bad RT play and obviously desperate enough to move a decent LT to shore it up and finally draft a 1st round talent at LT for the first time in what...decades? Doesn't seem fair to Ben...almost every other franchise QB has a standout LT