Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick 1/22 could be no mans land

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pick 1/22 could be no mans land

This draft has 3-4 round talent. Very weak in blue chip talent. I would love to move out. Maybe dial up our old friend Ken Whisenhunt.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    This draft has 3-4 round talent. Very weak in blue chip talent. I would love to move out. Maybe dial up our old friend Ken Whisenhunt.
    Sign me up. I agree that its very top heavy and would be elated to trade down and grade a top end 2nd. Do you think they will trade down, that is the question? It seems this season there isn't really a consensus player for our spot based on this board where as in years past we've had a pretty strong preference. We keep getting mocked Collins which I think would be a mistake.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree. The Steelers are in the market for a blue chip DB or OLB. That won't happen at 22 baring miracle fall. Drop back, grab Maxx Williams in the first, And Marcus Peters in the second.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Numbers all work with a move like that 838 to 840. And there is some serious talent that will be around in 4th round you are right about that. However Tomlin and mostly Colbert are likely not going to move down 11 spots because of the talent drop off from 22 to 33. What I would believe is another former coach like Bruce in Arizona may be in play where we go from say 22 to 24 get a possible 4 and a trade like that would have a chance if 3 guys with close to the same talent level were all on the board when we are on the clock at 22.
    I am not apposed to making a move down in 1st and even moving up in 2nd if the right corner was still on the board for example in round 2.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would like to improve our pass rush or secondary with our top pick if at all possible. I could easily see the top 4 pas rushers (Fowler, Gregory, Beasley, and Ray) plus the top CB (Waynes) coming off the board in the top 10 (or top 15 at the latest). I could see the top safety (Collins) and the next pass rusher (Dupree) possibly coming off the board right before we pick, to Philly and Cincy, respectively. At that point, the best player available may be an offensive tackle. My prior sig mock had Jacksonville trading up to #22 to get Melvin Gordon, and we'd take Maxx Williams early in round 2 (but now I think he could go to New Orleans with the pick they got from Seattle in the Graham-Unger trade...or possibly even to Denver before that since they lost Julius Thomas). All I know about the draft, though, is that it never ever goes how any of us expect it to, so you never know.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

I think 22 will be a hard spot. I think Dupree (who I'm not sold on--don't like those athletes whose instincts are questioned) will gone, along with the other 4top OLBs, L. Collins will be gone, Waynes gone, and J.Collins may be gone. Don't want Maxx or Peters at 22 (both have some attitude questions), and the BPA at 22 is likely to be an OL. I would push for a player and pick trade with NO at 31, and I'd do it today. Swap #22 and our 4th for K. Lewis and 31. Gives us a #1CB at a reasonable price and we could pick Odighzuwa or Harold at 31. Add Ayers in FA to add a vet for competition at OLB, and a slot CB in 3,4 or 5 (Grant, Nelson, White, or Swann) and OLB and CB will be set.

Legend

User Info Menu

Akeem Ayers signed with the Rams.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Unless the Steelers get a very attractive offer to move down, I think they sit tight.

In any peoples opinion, they "over drafted" Timmons, Shazier by sitting tight & taking the #1 guy on their board.

It's how they also "stole" DeCastro, Mendenhall.

I'm sure they have "their guys" pretty much set at this stage. Now they sit tight & wait to see who "falls" to #22.

And whoever gets called, will be 'the guy they wanted all along'.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    I think 22 will be a hard spot. I think Dupree (who I'm not sold on--don't like those athletes whose instincts are questioned) will gone, along with the other 4top OLBs, L. Collins will be gone, Waynes gone, and J.Collins may be gone. Don't want Maxx or Peters at 22 (both have some attitude questions), and the BPA at 22 is likely to be an OL. I would push for a player and pick trade with NO at 31, and I'd do it today. Swap #22 and our 4th for K. Lewis and 31. Gives us a #1CB at a reasonable price and we could pick Odighzuwa or Harold at 31. Add Ayers in FA to add a vet for competition at OLB, and a slot CB in 3,4 or 5 (Grant, Nelson, White, or Swann) and OLB and CB will be set.
    Not saying a move like this wouldn't be productive but that type of move would not likely ever happen pre draft. You never know who may fall. A medical issue could move a player down. If Rogers and Moss can slide down it could happen to anyone so why play your hand to early. Very realistic chance a Dallas team might want to jump Arizona to get a running back if one of the top 2 are off the board.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreed, that the Steelers stay put and take BPA. If it is such a weak spot, why would many others want to move into it? We will take whoever seems to "fall into our laps", like chadman aforementioned (DeCastro, Mendenhall, Jarvis). e.g. I hear there is a stud Guard in the mold of Decastro...
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.