Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Willis may retire

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Borland sounds like he had the fear of God put in him...

Someone needs to start a professional flag football team
    Niners color commentator Tim Ryan: "Patrick Willis retired. Chris Borland quit."
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Borland sounds like he had the fear of God put in him...

Someone needs to start a professional flag football team
    They do its called the NFL.

On another note, I think we're going to see more of this, especially after players get their fist big contract and signing bonus, play a few more years, earn millions and retire. I don't blame them one bit, its a dangerous sort more so than an other save for boxing and possibly wrestling "entertainment".

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 03-17-2015 at 12:20 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Niners color commentator Tim Ryan: "Patrick Willis retired. Chris Borland quit."
    he's right...

He played all these years and says he is sharp as a tack but after 1 year in the pro's he calls it quits?

I would prefer if he just said he doesn't have a love for the game. This comes across like he is trying to pimp his way into a spokesperson against the NFL.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Rookie

User Info Menu

He probably does love the game...he just likes not having dementia even more...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I completely understand wanting to protect himself from long term illness. I get it, I accept it, I understand it.

But players come into the NFL fully knowing the risks involved- they've played the game long enough.

1 year after a franchise not only invested money, but also a valuable draft pick, which is a commodity in the sport of NFL, and this guy worries about the possibility that one day he might suffer an injury.

Here's hoping he never leaves his house in case he happens to have the possibility of a car accident.

That said, I sure hope he gets the gas checked for his stove regularly, you know, in case it's not 100% safe.

If the possibility of injury is too much of a burden to carry for his chosen career path, he should never have entered the draft. He does, after all, cite 2 concussions received during his college playing days. So it's not like he didn't know the risk of concussions prior to entering the NFL.

Good that he uses 4 fairly well known cases of injury related illness to justify his fear, instead of the thousands of unreported cases of no long term side effects to playing the sport...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't feel bad for the team at all. The only reason people care about Borland is because he was good and he walked away. If he had sucked, nobody would care about the team's draft pick nor their money. When an NFL team cuts a player, nobody is worried about that player's long-term earning potential. Nor is anyone concerned about the player's long-term health except, in this isolated case, the player.

Borland said in an interview that he did not want to negotiate his health for money. It sounds to me like Borland knew the risks and decided that he would rather not play, given the risks. It isn't a decision for everybody.

But, if you can't see the difference between that and being afraid to drive a car, we probably won't get anywhere in this discussion.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I completely understand wanting to protect himself from long term illness. I get it, I accept it, I understand it.

But players come into the NFL fully knowing the risks involved- they've played the game long enough.

1 year after a franchise not only invested money, but also a valuable draft pick, which is a commodity in the sport of NFL, and this guy worries about the possibility that one day he might suffer an injury.

Here's hoping he never leaves his house in case he happens to have the possibility of a car accident.

That said, I sure hope he gets the gas checked for his stove regularly, you know, in case it's not 100% safe.

If the possibility of injury is too much of a burden to carry for his chosen career path, he should never have entered the draft. He does, after all, cite 2 concussions received during his college playing days. So it's not like he didn't know the risk of concussions prior to entering the NFL.

Good that he uses 4 fairly well known cases of injury related illness to justify his fear, instead of the thousands of unreported cases of no long term side effects to playing the sport...
    For the first time ever, I completely disagree (and personally disgusted) with your comments. Having a family member play in the pro's, I witnessed first hand at what a long NFL career does to the body and mind. Trivializing everyday life versus getting cracked in the head play after play isn't even comparable.

Time for me breath and walk away before I say something I regret.....

Legend

User Info Menu

It does sound like Borland knew the risks.

Prior to entering the draft.

The 49ers used a draft pick that they cannot get back on a player who clearly had misgivings about his career choice. It's probably something that he should have revealed prior to a team investing in him.

The point you overlooked wasn't the car driving scenario, but using 4 noted cases of unfortunate illness due to injury to justify the decision, while ignoring the thousands of unreported non-illness cases in comparison.

I believe the argument that he might, one day, possibly suffer an injury, because those 4 guys did, is a pretty weak argument when put against the heavy majority of former NFL players who go on & lead pretty normal lives after their career.

I'm not against him retiring. That's fine. But his reason is pretty poor. If he just said "I don't feel any passion for the game", at least he wouldn't be casting some kind of bad light on the NFL to the general public. As it stands now, the average non-NFL follower will see "Borland quits because of long term injury fears" and will have every justification to believe that the NFL is an unsafe, unfair work environment.

These guys know what they sign up for.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    For the first time ever, I completely disagree (and personally disgusted) with your comments. Having a family member play in the pro's, I witnessed first hand at what a long NFL career does to the body and mind. Trivializing everyday life versus getting cracked in the head play after play isn't even comparable.

Time for me breath and walk away before I say something I regret.....
    Say whatever you like. I won't be offended.

I'm ok with being wrong in your view, I stand by what I think would have been the right thing by players who feel the game is too risky should do- don't even enter the draft.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Say whatever you like. I won't be offended.

I'm ok with being wrong in your view, I stand by what I think would have been the right thing by players who feel the game is too risky should do- don't even enter the draft.
    Sorry for the rant. It just struck a nerve. That's what I like about this board; we can agree to disagree without the fear of being banned.....well, with some exceptions.