Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Steelers give Steven Jackson a look?

Backup

User Info Menu

Question Should the Steelers give Steven Jackson a look?

Steven Jackson was actually one of the best RBs in the NFL after first contact last season, but he was only given 190 carries. I think he'd make a good goal-line and short-yardage back, and I think he's capable of carrying the load for a couple of games during Le'Veon Bell's suspension, but is he willing to be a backup? Signing him would give the Steelers some flexibility in the draft this year. I think it'd be a good idea to at least kick the tires on him. Anybody else agree?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like this option better than the Bush scenario. I think Jackson can carry the load for a few games while Bell is out. Not sure how he would feel about getting less than a few touches a game once Bell returns.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

NO---You think hes going to play for vet min and be a backup..

Legend

User Info Menu

I brought this up earlier...absolutely if he is able to realize that he is not a full-time starter anymore and is willing to accept backup RB pay (more than veteran minimum dollars, but not big bucks). SJax in his prime was a very similar RB to Le'Veon Bell now. He is still capable of being a short-term workhorse for the few games while Bell is out (especially since a rookie RB would not necessarily be able to carry the load so early in the year). Longer term secondary option to give Bell a breather later in the season. While he was officially the starter in Atlanta last year, he was splitting carries with Davonte Freeman, Antone Smith, and Jacquizz Rodgers, so it wouldn't be the first time he was in a time share situation.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why would you bring in an aged vet when you have the likes of such great young players behind him? Those other guys haven't had the opportunity and should get it. THEY'RE YOUNG DON'T YA KNOW!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    NO---You think hes going to play for vet min and be a backup..
    He will be 32 years old when the season starts. He averaged 3.7 and 3.5 YPC the last 2 seasons. Who is going to give him a starting role and the accompanying contract?

MJD, who had a similar list of accomplishments, signed last season for $1.2 million. That's not much higher than the vet minimum.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Why would you bring in an aged vet when you have the likes of such great young players behind him? Those other guys haven't had the opportunity and should get it. THEY'RE YOUNG DON'T YA KNOW!
    Woof! Holy bitter, Batman!
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like SJ, can run block catch, and hes had a great career so far....so if the Steelers think he still has some gas in the tank then Im all for it.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Backup

User Info Menu

Ahh I sware this was started just to stir me up.
    NO NO NO NO we shouldn't give the over the hill Jackson a look. How did he do in Atlanta? and what is Atlanta now doing at RB? YOUTH!

Why teach our OL how to block for a back like Jackson when according to many of you will only touch the ball 5% of the time? Why all the extra practice time for 5% of the time? You bring in a back who plays like Bell so practice time is actually spent on what we will actually do regardless of what back is in the game. I don't know how much more I can take of this! We tried the Blount approach and it was PAINFUL to watch those runs up the middle! We tried to bring in Archer for a spark and again it was PAINFUL to watch it go nowhere! How much practice time in your opinions was wasted on those 2 running backs so we could try to change it up? We started to win and the OL started to produce when Bell was in the game 99.9% of the time. We need a back who can produce without changing what we do. NO MORE WASTING TIME, especially the limited practice time these guys do get these days. Lets be smart.

Backup

User Info Menu

A couple of things...

1. Averaging less than four YPC doesn't matter if a RB only needs to get one or two yards in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

2. The Falcons haven't had a good offensive line since they signed Steven Jackson. The Steelers have a better one these days.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.