Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to get excited...

Backup

User Info Menu

Reasons to get excited...

I am usually a pessimistic...working on it. But I am pretty excited about the 2015 season.
    Reasons why?

New Def Coordinator. This will result in more takeaways and much more qb pressures and sacks.

15 million plus in cap space...Important to use this wisely. Bring in Steeler guys not Blounts.

Hungry...especially after the Ravens whipped us at home in the playoffs.

Nice core of young talent that has great potential...M Bryant, Shazier, Jones, Bell, Off Line.

Next season is a tough schedule= 12-4. We don't play many losers. We don't beat the 2-14 teams.

*For all these reason I am excited about next year. Not to mention we get 7-10 new guys via the upcoming draft.
    If we use the draft and FA. We can have a nice 3-5 year run with Ben's last years.
    I am hoping for at least one more SB win for Ben!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

In 2015, I hope....

1. Ben gets a reasonable contract that allows him to retire a Steeler
    2. Keith Butler really amps up the blitz which the last guy forgot about leading to some of the worst sack totals in the last 30 years.
    3. We quit having the OLBs dropping into coverage giving the QB all day to find an open receiver
    4. Cortez Allen takes two steps forward after his one step back
    5. Jarvis Jones actually becomes the player Slappy thinks he is and not the player I'm pretty sure he really is.
    6. The Offensive Line continues to develop and lets Ben stay healthy again for a full season
    7. We find a RB to spell Bell
    8. We figure out how to use Dri Archer to cause opponents fits
    9. Martavius Bryant keeps his head on straight and his work ethic high
    10. Antonio Brown enjoys nothing but health and an injury free season on the way to another 100+ reception season
    11. We get a TE in the draft who can step in for Heath Miller who has taken two steps back and won't be better in 2015 than 2014.
    12. We see much more 4-3 looks on our way to converting to it in the near future...had to add that one
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm hoping James Harrison comes back, that's how much faith I have in Jarvis Jones.

I hope someone we contend with overpays WORILDS (Except the Patriots b/c he'd probably become a star with them).

I also hope our 1st three picks result in a CB, OLB & a TE in no particular order (just no Ebron lovers in the first)
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    In 2015, I hope....

1. Ben gets a reasonable contract that allows him to retire a Steeler
    2. Keith Butler really amps up the blitz which the last guy forgot about leading to some of the worst sack totals in the last 30 years.
    3. We quit having the OLBs dropping into coverage giving the QB all day to find an open receiver
    4. Cortez Allen takes two steps forward after his one step back
    5. Jarvis Jones actually becomes the player Slappy thinks he is and not the player I'm pretty sure he really is.
    6. The Offensive Line continues to develop and lets Ben stay healthy again for a full season
    7. We find a RB to spell Bell
    8. We figure out how to use Dri Archer to cause opponents fits
    9. Martavius Bryant keeps his head on straight and his work ethic high
    10. Antonio Brown enjoys nothing but health and an injury free season on the way to another 100+ reception season
    11. We get a TE in the draft who can step in for Heath Miller who has taken two steps back and won't be better in 2015 than 2014.
    12. We see much more 4-3 looks on our way to converting to it in the near future...had to add that one
    13. I hope I can make it across the border.
    14. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand.
    15. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    13. I hope I can make it across the border.
    14. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand.
    15. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

Hey now ... stop that ... you're gonna make me tear up ... I guess I just miss my friend.

Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 02-26-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Optimistic view of something....anything. On our board! Is that permitted? A breath of fresh air.

Legend

User Info Menu

Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense
    By Joe Starkey Freelance Columnist
    Saturday, March 28, 2015, 9:00 p.m.
    Updated 3 hours ago

1 1 0
    Google +
    Reddit

Blogger

Early in his tenure as Steelers coach, Mike Tomlin was asked to describe his ideal offense. What would it look like?

Tomlin referenced the New England Patriots. He said he wanted an offense that could morph into whatever it needed to be on a given day. An offense for all occasions.

Now, finally, he appears to have one — and he knows it.

“My expectation is they're capable of being the very best because we've got the goods,” Tomlin said Tuesday at the NFL's annual owners meetings. “We've got guys that are capable. We've got guys that know what they're doing. We've got guys that played together for an extended period of time now. So that's a reasonable expectation.”

It's a requirement, actually. If not No. 1 in points per game, the Steelers better be close.

Have you seen Tomlin's defense lately?

The Steelers have surrendered two of their three highest point totals (368 points in 2014 and 370 in 2013) of the 16-game era the past two seasons, eclipsed only by the wretched 1988 team that surrendered 421 points. Why would anyone expect next year's group to be much better? It might be worse.

That puts the onus on the offense. Which is only fair. Defense carried this franchise for the first decade-plus of the millennium. It's the offense's turn.

Last year was an excellent start. Elite players at the quarterback, running back and receiver positions, combined with a solid line, propelled the offense to a franchise-record 27.2 points per game, good for seventh in the league.

Truthfully, though — and Tomlin seemed to indicate this — there's plenty of room to improve.

The 27.2 figure is deceiving and not just because of the Steelers' five defensive touchdowns.

They averaged 41.3 points over an explosive three-game stretch. In the other 14 games, including the playoff loss to Baltimore, they averaged 23.5.

The primary remaining issue: consistency (and in a related matter, red-zone efficiency).

The offense was hopelessly inept in five games last season: at Baltimore, at Cleveland, at Jacksonville, at the Jets and at home against New Orleans (half of the Steelers' 32 points that day were garbage-time junk; the offense was a hot mess when the game mattered). That's almost one-third of the season.

After their three-game explosion against Houston, Indianapolis and Baltimore, the Steelers inexplicably failed to score a first-half touchdown during their next three games, all against rag-tag defenses: the Jets, Titans and Saints.

Want to be a truly great offense? Be the Broncos of 2013. They scored 20-plus in every game, 30-plus in most. They won games in which the opposition scored 27, 48 and 28 points (twice). They won nine games in which the defense gave up at least 20. Be the 2012 Patriots. They had one bad offensive game. Be the 2012 Broncos. They scored at least 20 in 15 of 16 outings.

True, the road schedule is daunting, including games at Seattle and New England. But if the Steelers stand a chance of getting where Tomlin wants them to go, they better have the kind of offense he believes they can.

The best in the league. Or real close to it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I'm hoping James Harrison comes back, that's how much faith I have in Jarvis Jones.

I hope someone we contend with overpays WORILDS (Except the Patriots b/c he'd probably become a star with them).

I also hope our 1st three picks result in a CB, OLB & a TE in no particular order (just no Ebron lovers in the first)
    wow so in a thread of "Hopes" you hope that a 37 year old out performs Jarvis, thats your hope? Do you hate the Guy that much.. wow..

I hope that Jarvis shows something positive this year. (before his injury he was playing really well)

I hope that Shazier takes a 2nd year significant step forward.

I hope M. Bryant secures the 2nd Receiver slot.

I Hope J Zumwalt makes the team and contributes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    wow so in a thread of "Hopes" you hope that a 37 year old out performs Jarvis, thats your hope? Do you hate the Guy that much.. wow..

I hope that Jarvis shows something positive this year. (before his injury he was playing really well)

I hope that Shazier takes a 2nd year significant step forward.

I hope M. Bryant secures the 2nd Receiver slot.

I Hope J Zumwalt makes the team and contributes.
    Calm down there Homer ... pull your panty wedgie out of its bunch.

Did I say "outperforms"?? and I "hate" JJ ???

Reading Comprehension Grade = F
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Calm down there Homer ... pull your panty wedgie out of its bunch.

Did I say "outperforms"?? and I "hate" JJ ???

Reading Comprehension Grade = F
    So instead of having faith in J. Jones you hope we bring back J. Harrison.. Right, I see where I misread that.
    my fault.