Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to get excited...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was in Vegas this month, and they have the Steelers at +/- 8.5 wins.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I was in Vegas this month, and they have the Steelers at +/- 8.5 wins.
    Hmmm...betting the over seems like a good bet to me. Unless, because of the perceived difficulty of the schedule they don't think the Steelers will get to 9 wins, I like the Steelers with a difficult schedule and getting to 9 wins next year.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    So instead of having faith in J. Jones you hope we bring back J. Harrison.. Right, I see where I misread that.
    my fault.
    Insurance Policies are best when u don't use them but can get a dividend back at the same time.

Sure you pay a premium but you also cover all ur bases.

If JJ gets 10 sacks and Harrison gets some PT. I'm happy. Right now i dont have faith in JJ but i haven't written him off either. J.H. and Porter are good for him.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers' offensive supporting cast draws raves from Roethlisberger

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger sees the 2015 Steelers as "arguably" the best offensive supporting cast he has had since entering the league in 2004, the Pittsburgh quarterback said in an interview Wednesday.

The Steelers have the league's leading receiver in Antonio Brown, who has 239 catches and 3,197 yards since 2013. They have Le'Veon Bell, the league's second-leading rusher with 1,361 yards who also caught 83 passes last season. They have talented young receivers such as Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton, along with an offensive line that's started together the past two years. Tight end Heath Miller is still reliable.

"I hate to say yes or no, because I don't want to offend anybody else that's been here," said Roethlisberger after an organized team activity session. "But you look at stats from the NFL, we had the No. 1 wide receiver and the No. 1 overall back. Kind of hard to argue with those numbers."

Roethlisberger has played with four of the Steelers' top 10 all-time receivers -- Brown and Miller from the current team, Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress from past teams.

Bell was second in the NFL in offensive playmaking yards last season with 2,215, behind former Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray (2,261).

Roethlisberger is coming off his best statistical season at 4,952 passing yards with 32 touchdowns and nine interceptions, looking comfortable in offensive coordinator Todd Haley's quick passing game.

With 11 years of NFL experience, Roethlisberger knows what a quality roster looks like. This is one. He also knows the Steelers are young at several positions on offense and defense, which is why he believes this team must do a few things to become a contender.

"If we can stay healthy and believe in each other and play the best football when we need to and have each other's back, [then yes]," Roethlisberger said. "We need to be a selfless football team. That's one of the key ingredients to being a championship football team is being selfless and being there for one another."

Haley has noticed Roethlisberger assuming a teaching role with younger players during OTAs. Haley wanted to see the 33-year-old Roethlisberger "get better with age," and he's doing that, learning when to get rid of the ball and when to improvise.

"He did a good job of picking spots of when to make the Ben-like play," Haley said. "He's the best in the world at that."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13052127/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-supporting-cast-draws-raves-ben-roethlisberger[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

if this offense stays healthy, i believe it can overcome mediocre coaching and a mediocre defense and win a superbowl this season.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Rookie

User Info Menu

Hopefully, the coaching will continue to be good and the defense will improve so overcoming those things won't be necessary...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Steelers' offensive supporting cast draws raves from Roethlisberger

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger sees the 2015 Steelers as "arguably" the best offensive supporting cast he has had since entering the league in 2004, the Pittsburgh quarterback said in an interview Wednesday.

The Steelers have the league's leading receiver in Antonio Brown, who has 239 catches and 3,197 yards since 2013. They have Le'Veon Bell, the league's second-leading rusher with 1,361 yards who also caught 83 passes last season. They have talented young receivers such as Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton, along with an offensive line that's started together the past two years. Tight end Heath Miller is still reliable.

"I hate to say yes or no, because I don't want to offend anybody else that's been here," said Roethlisberger after an organized team activity session. "But you look at stats from the NFL, we had the No. 1 wide receiver and the No. 1 overall back. Kind of hard to argue with those numbers."

Roethlisberger has played with four of the Steelers' top 10 all-time receivers -- Brown and Miller from the current team, Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress from past teams.

Bell was second in the NFL in offensive playmaking yards last season with 2,215, behind former Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray (2,261).

Roethlisberger is coming off his best statistical season at 4,952 passing yards with 32 touchdowns and nine interceptions, looking comfortable in offensive coordinator Todd Haley's quick passing game.

With 11 years of NFL experience, Roethlisberger knows what a quality roster looks like. This is one. He also knows the Steelers are young at several positions on offense and defense, which is why he believes this team must do a few things to become a contender.

"If we can stay healthy and believe in each other and play the best football when we need to and have each other's back, [then yes]," Roethlisberger said. "We need to be a selfless football team. That's one of the key ingredients to being a championship football team is being selfless and being there for one another."

Haley has noticed Roethlisberger assuming a teaching role with younger players during OTAs. Haley wanted to see the 33-year-old Roethlisberger "get better with age," and he's doing that, learning when to get rid of the ball and when to improvise.

"He did a good job of picking spots of when to make the Ben-like play," Haley said. "He's the best in the world at that."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13052127/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-supporting-cast-draws-raves-ben-roethlisberger[/URL]
    Thanks for posting Ruthless

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    if this offense stays healthy, i believe it can overcome mediocre coaching and a mediocre defense and win a superbowl this season.
    We'll find out this season if the mediocre coaching is now in Tennessee or not Given the excellent development of young players on the offensive side of the ball and the ability to find ways for them to contribute early I think the coaching on offense has been pretty good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think the coaching on offense has been pretty good.
    I think Ben's handicap dropped a couple of strokes since we hired a golf coach as his O.C.!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben: 'We can get better every day'

Posted Jun 9, 2015

Teresa Varley Steelers.com

QB Ben Roethlisberger talks all things Steelers offense, and a little more.

Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sat down after Tuesday’s OTA session and talked about the offense improving, young wide receivers and some of the talent on offense.

The offense had a record setting year in 2014. In what areas can the offense improve?
    We can get better every day. We can improve on third downs, we can improve on red zones, and we can improve on first down. To us, we never want to settle. We always want to continue to improve and get better. Just because we had a bunch of individuals that did great last year and we as a unit played great, we still feel like we can get better.

Is the red zone an area you really want to focus on improving in?
    It means points, and the more points we can score it usually means you win football games.

How much improvement have you seen in OTAs overall?
    I have seen some growth from young guys. Some of the veteran guys keep getting better. I am really excited about this team and hopefully as in every season health is always the key component.

Speaking of health, how much of a difference did it make to have a healthy offensive line last year?
    It’s huge, their cohesiveness, their love for each other. They play so well together. If they can stay healthy that makes us everything.

What have you seen from Martavis Bryant during OTAs?
    I have seen growth. I have seen a guy that wants to be good, wants to be great, every day he is working at his craft and talking to me about things he can improve on. You just see him continuing to grow and learn from the best in the business who is in his room in Antonio (Brown).

What’s it like to have a target like Antonio Brown?
    He is awesome. Every day he amazes you. He is a guy that works so hard and he is being rewarded with it because he is a special player.

Sammie Coates is another young guy you are just getting to know, but do you see him developing into a guy who can be something?
    I think so. Right now he hasn’t been on the field too much from injuries and then not running with our group because the receivers ahead of him are playing so well right now. That is going to be his biggest obstacle getting on the field because the guys ahead of him are playing so well.

Early on in OTAs you talked about DeAngelo Williams and how he was picking things up fast. Has that pattern continued?
    Yes, definitely. When we break the huddle and I ask him if he is good, he says yes almost every time. To me that is a good sign. He is working hard and he wants to be a guy that can contribute to this offense and I firmly believe that he will be.

What does (QB coach) Randy Fichtner mean to you, to your game?
    I have been with Randy for quite a few years now and it’s great to know every day when I walk in what I am going to get. He is a guy that is always willing to help. Whether it’s today when I asked him to come out early to work on some stuff I wanted to work on. He is always out here ready to go. The film study. Just having a guy to talk to. I think the best thing about having a coach that has a player like myself that is a veteran guy is to not try and over coach, just to be there for the things the player might need. That is what Randy does the best.

Another guy you have been around awhile is Heath Miller. Do the two of you look around a little bit at the youth on the team and think wow, we are the old guys?
    We have for a couple of years now. It’s such a blessing to call Heath Miller a teammate for as many years as we have. I have always said he is one of the best teammates I have ever played with and to me he is the best tight end.

You hear so much about guys that are ‘future Hall of Famers.’ What is it like to have been a teammate with a player who is now a Hall of Famer in Jerome Bettis?
    It’s awesome. It’s humbling. I think we all thought it was about time. We all thought he should have been there a long time ago. It’s so awesome for him and I feel humbled to have played with the guy and call him a teammate and a brother.

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ben-We-can-get-better-every-day/01e7484e-fa0b-423e-b094-443f3b9417c1[/URL]