Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Jalen Collins could be first-round option for Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

James C Wexell @jimwexell -

Jalen Collins might be as fast as he showed on tape, what little tape there is. Why did this guy play so sparingly at LSU?

Use combine # s wisely. Les Miles knows Jalen's fast, still sat him.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It really looks like his lack of starts were due more to a talent logjam than his lack of ability. I was just doing some reading and LSU had Collins, Jalen Mills, Tre'davious White, and Rashard Robinson all picking up starts at different points. Mills and Robinson ran into some off-the-field issues. White appears to be a future star.

Collins was the guy who kept plugging away and kept himself out of trouble, and by the end of it all he was the starter and potential 1st round pick. There's something to be said for that - overcoming challenges and doing it the right way - and that should serve him well to the grind of the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I haven't been paying attention much (working too much), but what is the story on this kid Quinten Rollins from Miami OH. Right now, sitting as a 2nd/3rd, but just reading the stuff on him... he sounds VERY good. Anyone have any info on him, warts, positives? Just from the limited amount I've read, I wouldn't be sad if we took him first. I'm a fan of taking guys later in the first, who aren't on the radar so to speak.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

the production and playing time is not typical of a steeler first round pick.....pass
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Q Rollins would be a huge reach in the 1st, IMO. only played one year of football

3rd round, yeah why not, we seem to like project corners anyways

Legend

User Info Menu

Jalen Collins was projected as a borderline round 2-3 guy prior to the combine. I'd be happy if we got him there, but I'm not going to bloat his value into the first based on workout numbers over actual game tape. Other than Tree Waynes (who should be long gone by the time we pick), I don't see a corner being the BPA for us in the first this year. If waiting until day two to address corner means that we miss out on Collins, so be it...there are a dozen or so other CB that should be draftable on day two.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quintin Rollins is an interesting case if available on day two of the draft. To go from basketball to one year of college football and win the MAC defensive player of the year is remarkable. He probably wouldn't contibute much at all as a rookie since he would be so raw, but the potential long term reward could be substantial.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I haven't been paying attention much (working too much), but what is the story on this kid Quinten Rollins from Miami OH. Right now, sitting as a 2nd/3rd, but just reading the stuff on him... he sounds VERY good. Anyone have any info on him, warts, positives? Just from the limited amount I've read, I wouldn't be sad if we took him first. I'm a fan of taking guys later in the first, who aren't on the radar so to speak.
    NFL Draft Preview 2015: CB Quinten Rollins

Posted February 28, 2015

The Sports Quotient’s annual NFL Draft Preview series has returned. Each week, we will analyze the top NFL prospects at each position. This week, the focus is on cornerbacks. Today’s prospect is Quinten Rollins, out of Miami (OH) University.

College Career

Prior to the 2014 season, Quentin Rollins was known more for his play on the hardwood than on the gridiron. He started at point guard for the Redhawks basketball team for four seasons and was a key contributor throughout his career. Rollins decided to play football as a fifth year senior, after not playing football since his senior year of high school in 2009. His success after such a considerable layoff was extremely impressive. Rollins tied for third in the nation with seven interceptions and was named MAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Pros

The quality that separates Rollins from the rest of the pack is his excellent ball-handling skills, evidenced by his seven interceptions in 2014. His experience handling the ball as a point guard certainly helped his development in this area.

He has good size for the cornerback position, at 5’11” – 195 pounds, and he is a willing tackler and does not shy away from contact. The fact that Rollins was so successful after not playing football for over four years will entice many teams, with the idea being that he is only scratching the surface of his potential. Rollins’s ceiling is very high.

Cons

Many scouts doubted his long speed prior to the combine, and his 4.57 second 40-yard dash time is not going to alleviate any of these concerns. Rollins’s lack of experience playing football at an elite level is also a big question mark, and even when he did play collegiately, he was not playing in a Power 5 conference against top-flight competition.

Draft Grade

Rollins certainly has his flaws, but his upside will make him an attractive mid-round prospect come draft day. Currently, I have him ranked as the #8 corner and have him slotted in the middle of the 3rd round.

Mike Mayock, my personal favorite draft analyst, believes Rollins will go higher than many people think, and I tend to agree. After the first tier of cornerback prospects is off the board (Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins, Kevin Johnson, among others), many teams will take a long look at Rollins because of his untapped potential.

Best Fit

Rollins does not have elite long speed and shouldn’t be left on an island without safety help. However, he would be a great fit in a system that allows him to be aggressive on short, intermediate routes and fully utilize his outstanding ball-handling skills.

[URL]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/nfl-draft-preview-2015-cb-quinten-rollins/[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, I read that

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    NFL Draft Preview 2015: CB Quinten Rollins

Posted February 28, 2015

The Sports Quotient’s annual NFL Draft Preview series has returned. Each week, we will analyze the top NFL prospects at each position. This week, the focus is on cornerbacks. Today’s prospect is Quinten Rollins, out of Miami (OH) University.

College Career

Prior to the 2014 season, Quentin Rollins was known more for his play on the hardwood than on the gridiron. He started at point guard for the Redhawks basketball team for four seasons and was a key contributor throughout his career. Rollins decided to play football as a fifth year senior, after not playing football since his senior year of high school in 2009. His success after such a considerable layoff was extremely impressive. Rollins tied for third in the nation with seven interceptions and was named MAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Pros

The quality that separates Rollins from the rest of the pack is his excellent ball-handling skills, evidenced by his seven interceptions in 2014. His experience handling the ball as a point guard certainly helped his development in this area.

He has good size for the cornerback position, at 5’11” – 195 pounds, and he is a willing tackler and does not shy away from contact. The fact that Rollins was so successful after not playing football for over four years will entice many teams, with the idea being that he is only scratching the surface of his potential. Rollins’s ceiling is very high.

Cons

Many scouts doubted his long speed prior to the combine, and his 4.57 second 40-yard dash time is not going to alleviate any of these concerns. Rollins’s lack of experience playing football at an elite level is also a big question mark, and even when he did play collegiately, he was not playing in a Power 5 conference against top-flight competition.

Draft Grade

Rollins certainly has his flaws, but his upside will make him an attractive mid-round prospect come draft day. Currently, I have him ranked as the #8 corner and have him slotted in the middle of the 3rd round.

Mike Mayock, my personal favorite draft analyst, believes Rollins will go higher than many people think, and I tend to agree. After the first tier of cornerback prospects is off the board (Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins, Kevin Johnson, among others), many teams will take a long look at Rollins because of his untapped potential.

Best Fit

Rollins does not have elite long speed and shouldn’t be left on an island without safety help. However, he would be a great fit in a system that allows him to be aggressive on short, intermediate routes and fully utilize his outstanding ball-handling skills.

[URL]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/nfl-draft-preview-2015-cb-quinten-rollins/[/URL]
    He's intriguing because he has all the attributes, except probably long speed (watched his 40 at the Combine. Doesn't look like a "fast" guy, though he probably is a 4.5 legit guy with proper speed training). I love the fact that he's a playmaker. I think about him (ideally of course) as an Earl Thomas, Ed Reed type of DB. Guys who are athletic enough to be considered at Corner.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

2015 NFL Draft Prospects: Kevin Johnson, CB Wake Forest

By Steel34D on Mar 4, 2015

Pittsburgh hasn't drafted a corner in the first round since 1997, Kevin Johnson of Wake Forest should be a player the team considers to help their secondary.

Kevin Johnson joined the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in 2010, following his best friend, neighbor, and former high school teammate Michael Campanaro (currently a WR for the Baltimore Ravens). He was undersized weighing just 154 pounds but despite this disadvantage he was one of only three true freshman to play for Wake Forrest in 2010 starting five games. The following year he was deemed academically ineligible did not play. He returned in 2012 as the starter and never relinquished the role making 41 straight starts, earning two All-ACC honorable mentions and was named two 2nd team All-ACC in 2014.

Strengths

Johnson is a taller, leaner corner at 6-foot, 188 pounds with 31 inch arm length. He is a fluid athlete who flips his hips with ease in coverage. His quick feet allow him to mirror opposing receivers and make him a natural in man coverage. Johnson is quick but in control with his backpedal and transitions out of it with good burst.

Breaking down and attacking throws underneath him are not an issue and Johnson does this as good as any CB in the draft. He is what scouts consider "quicker than fast". This quickness and his awareness are the reasons why he played well in off coverage.

In off coverage on this play Johnson is in off coverage. He begins the play in a nice smooth reading the receiver. He immediately recognizes the difference in stride as the receiver's left heel plants on the ground. (This signifies that the receiver is going to cut off his route.) Upon seeing this Johnson plants his right foot into the ground and gets ready to break on the route. A slight moment of hesitation causes Johnson to take a false step and prevents him from making a play. Despite this, Johnson's quick recognition of the receiver's body language is impressive.

Johnson doesn't just use his awareness in man coverage. In this play he is in off coverage as the Wake Forrest defense appears to be in a Cover 4. He is reading the quarterback's eyes the entire time. Recognizing the receiver breaking down in front of him with QB starring him down, Johnson breaks on the route before the receiver can turn around completely. With the aid of a late throw , the play results in an easy interception.

In tight coverage Johnson is just as good.

Johnson is in tight man coverage here with inside out leverage. At the snap his right hand comes up quickly to prevent the receiver from crossing his face. He isn't fooled by the receivers fake and stays with him. He is in great positions on just on top of the route. As the receiver break so does Johnson who then uses his length to knock away the football. Johnson's ability to stop his momentum and break when the receiver does is an important skill for NFL corners. His ability to find the ball in the air and make a play on it is just as important.

Weaknesses

In coverage, Johnson doesn't have many weaknesses in his game. He has only average long speed (ran a 4.52s 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine) which may require him to need help against some burners in the NFL. In his off coverage he has a tendency of giving up too much space which allows receivers to complete short throws underneath. He can also be overly aggressive in coverage biting on double moves.

Johnson's most glaring weakness is in his run support. Undersized during his entire college career, he struggles to get off receivers blocks. Like many corners he isn't a great tackler, often lunging. While he is a willing tackler he doesn't display the love for being physical like some other corners do in this draft.

Conclusion

Kevin Johnson is an experienced college corner who can play both man or zone coverage, at the line of scrimmage or off of it. He has quick feet and a controlled backpedal. He understands defensive concepts and has excellent recognition. It can be difficult for defensive backs to make an impact early in the NFL because of the complexities of pro schemes and the different rules about contact down the field. Johnson's ball skills and route recognition coupled with his quickness should allow him to make the transition more easily in the NFL that is strictly enforcing any contact down field. There is no doubt in my mind that Johnson is one of the best corners in the 2015 draft and he is definitely worthy of a first round pick.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015-nfl-draft-prospects-video-position-list-steelers-board/2015/3/4/8144533/2015-nfl-draft-prospects-kevin-johnson-cb-wake-forrest[/URL]