Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Jalen Collins could be first-round option for Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

CB Jalen Collins could be first-round option for Steelers

Jalen Collins could be first-round option for Steelers

February, 24, 2015
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

Jalen Collins had a rather modest goal for his on-field workout at the NFL scouting combine.

"I don't want to go out there and embarrass myself," the LSU cornerback said the day before he went through the gauntlet of physical tests in Indianapolis.

Collins did more than eclipse that goal; he ran a sub 4.5-second in the 40-yard dash and also looked fluid in movement drills.

The 6-1, 203-pound Collins has the size, length and speed -- his official time in the 40 was 4.48 seconds -- to develop into a top-tier cornerback at the next level. The one thing he lacks is experience, something teams such as the Pittsburgh Steelers will have to weigh if they consider using a first-round draft pick on Collins.

Collins started just 10 games in three seasons at LSU and, he said, the NFL draft board advisory board recommended that he return to school.

But a strong showing at the combine and his obvious physical gifts have positioned Collins well in a cornerback draft class that is lacking in top-end talent.

Collins already has a tie to the Steelers. He has been training at Tom Shaw Performance Camp in Orlando, Florida, and working with veteran Pittsburgh cornerback Ike Taylor among others.

"Just trying to get knowledge from guys that have had experience at the position and success as well," Collins said. "Just trying to take everything in, every little detail to help me get better."

Collins may need time to develop at the next level. But there may not be a cornerback in the draft who has more upside than Collins, and he should be able to at least contribute on special teams immediately.

"I've got a lot of work to do on this kid because I want to like him," draft analyst Mike Mayock said on the NFL Network. "He's not afraid at the line of scrimmage. He's not bailing out. He's just sitting right there and saying 'Bring it.'"

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/12625/jalen-collins-could-be-first-round-option-for-pittsburgh-steelers[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

It seems that the Pittsburgh Steelers have had little to no cap room for years, and that trend is continuing this season. Fortunately, the Steelers have been good enough at drafting for this to barely hurt their winning ways. As the defense continues to age, though, changes are needed.

Adding a physical cornerback who can play right away and still develop would be ideal for the Steelers. Length, height and a tough mindset in the run game are all musts for the Steelers defense, and there is a good fit in this class that they’ve been eyeing. According to Scott Brown of ESPN, the Steelers are interested in Jalen Collins of LSU.

Collins is coming off of a solid 2014 season, but he has just 10 games of starting experience. His strong combine play will help his case for first-round merit, but the fit is very important for him. There are no better fits for Collins than the Steelers, who can offer him a platform to succeed.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2376503-biggest-draft-buzz-for-every-team-from-the-2015-nfl-combine[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't care about measurable. i care about players. Give me a team full of Hines Ward's and I beat a team full of Mike Wallace's every damn time.

Can you tell that Shaz over Mosley still annoys me? Shaz better bring it this year.

Having said all that, only 10 starts scares be, but, Collins seems to be more "football player" than "workout warrior"...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Rookie

User Info Menu

Eh, I still think Shazier will become the better player...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Eh, I still think Shazier will become the better player...
    based on what?

his uniform?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    based on what?

his uniform?
    Yep... and history.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would still like for the Steelers to give him one a chance at outside linebacker, to be honest. I would like to get Collins or Darby in the first or second round (both seem to be first round quality). Collins is a darkhorse for the first for us. That size is what the Steelers need...but do agree that being a 10 game starter and was told he should stay back in school (by the draft evaluation board) really concerns me. It screams Terrell Pryor, in a sense. Hope that is proven wrong.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the history of ozzie newsome being a really good GM?

i hope shazier is as good as some of you guys think he is, but at this point its not based on anything he has actually done in the NFL in a steelers uniform. nobody is going to take your fan card away if you admit the ravens do a really good job of drafting defensive football players

back to the topic, i said earlier that collins should be under consideration. im starting to wonder about the other collins that plays safety. he may be good value at 22, if there

Backup

User Info Menu

Darby ain't all that

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    Darby ain't all that
    Can't be any worse than Cortez Allen's playing as of late.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa