Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Restructure Gilbert

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers Restructure Gilbert

On Twitter...And so it begins.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who gets annoyed that they keep pushing these issues into the future? How about signing the guy to a creative contract that won't need to get reworked one year later.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Am I the only one who gets annoyed that they keep pushing these issues into the future? How about signing the guy to a creative contract that won't need to get reworked one year later.
    You would probably be more annoyed if they couldn't free up the money to extend Ben, DeCastro, Heyward, etc. These moves are all for a reason. Plus it may allow us to get a free agent CB which means we won't have to panic in the draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

According to PFT, the move will create $3.724M this season.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/25/steelers-restructure-marcus-gilberts-deal-for-cap-room/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Gilbert's hit for the next few years is $6.5 until the last year of his deal, when it drops to $5.5 million. The Steelers better hope that he doesn't follow the Woodley diet.

I'm ok with the idea of some restructuring, where necessary,but you end up with some players whose cap hit is well beyond their performance.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Prepare to be really annoyed then. Because LaCanfora is reporting (via twitter) that Pouncey and Mitchell have also been restructured; creating $9.5M in cap room prior to doing anything with Troy, Cam Thomas, and Moore. Plus, if they can get Ben restructured, there "should" be some more cap room created with that move.

[URL="http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/steelers-restructure-contracts-of-maurkice-pouncey-mike-mitchell/"]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/steelers-restructure-contracts-of-maurkice-pouncey-mike-mitchell/[/URL]

Wonder who they have on their FA radar.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And Mitchell's too.

2:27pm: The Steelers have also restructured the contract for safety Mike Mitchell, reports Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (via Twitter). According to Bouchette, the two moves create a total of nearly $6.2MM in cap space, so it sounds like Mitchell’s was a simple restructure as well, converting a portion of his base salary and his entire $2MM roster bonus into a signing bonus. That would reduce his 2015 cap hit by about $2.44MM, creating total cap savings of $6,165,250 when combined with Gilbert’s restructure.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

That is more cap room than the Steelers have had in some time. And they still haven't cut Cam Thomas and Lance Moore, two very easy moves that will free up some extra cash.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey and Gilbert should be around longterm (much to the chagrin of some Gilbert haters), so I don't mind those restructures, but restructuring Mitchell now makes it more difficult to cut him next year if he shows no improvement in year two here. Hopefully he does improve significantly so this doesn't come back to bite us.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Wonder who they have on their FA radar.
    clearing cap room to re-sign Jason Worilds...