Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Harrison training for13th season

Legend

User Info Menu

James Harrison training for13th season

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473450/article/james-harrison-training-for-13th-season[/url]

Published: Feb. 22, 2015 at 07:58 p.m.

James Harrison training for 13th season

Nick Shook

NFL

A year ago, James Harrison was mulling one last shot in the NFL before deciding to retire to spend more time with his family.

This Feburary, Harrison has his luggage ready for a trip to the desert.

Harrison announced his retirement in August after a visit with the Arizona Cardinals, but was back in the league less than a month later when the Pittsburgh Steelers lost two young linebackers -- Ryan Shazier and Jarvis Jones -- to injuries. Harrison filled in nicely, recording 29 solo tackles and 5.5 sacks in 11 games for a Pittsburgh team that finished 11-5 and won the AFC North.

Should he return to the Steelers, the 36-year-old could be useful as both insurance against the development of Jones -- who has flashed his ability but has yet to live up to his first-round selection -- as well as a pass-rushing machine that most offensive tackles will not be happy to face. Harrison's value could also increase if Pittsburgh can't come to an agreement on a new deal with free agent rusher Jason Worilds.

The return to the NFL was apparently enough to convince Harrison he isn't done with professional football yet. Based on his offseason workout videos, he's clearly still in great shape.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yep. He just posted on his FB page, that he's off to AZ for training..
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Yep. He just posted on his FB page, that he's off to AZ for training..
    Hope that's all he's off to AZ for, if you know what I mean...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Hope that's all he's off to AZ for, if you know what I mean...
    Seriously. I think he's going to be a machine this season with whomever he plays for and I hope it's us. He played well this past season and that was without a full off season going full tilt. I still believe in Jarvis Jones but I want Harrison back for his "last ride" and I think the Steeler will be making a mistake if they don't bring him back. Especially if Worilds tests and leaves.

Legend

User Info Menu

After season with Steelers, James Harrison plans to play in 2015

February 22, 2015
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James Harrison has decided he wants to play football for one more season; now it’s up to the Steelers to decide whether they want him to play for them.

Harrison, who turns 37 May 4, ended a brief retirement when he rejoined the Steelers for the fourth game of last season. He played in 11 games and reclaimed his old starting job at right outside linebacker by the end of the season. Despite missing five games, he had 5.5 sacks, just two off the team lead.

He signed a one-year contract in 2014 and would become an unrestricted free agent March 10 if the Steelers do not sign him before then. They have only one outside linebacker with experience under contract, Jarvis Jones.

“I decided to hold off on retirement, so it’s time to pack up and head to AZ to start my training so I can be ready to play another year,’’ Harrison wrote on Twitter and Instagram Sunday evening.

Harrison said last year that the Steelers were the only team he would have ended his retirement to return to play for. He played in 2013 in Cincinnati and said it was too far from his family, who live in Pittsburgh. He said his two boys gave their approval for him to return to play for the Steelers in 2014.

Therefore, it is not likely he would want to play for another team if the Steelers do not want to sign him again. The Steelers have not indicated whether they want him back.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/02/22/After-season-with-Steelers-James-Harrison-plans-to-play-in-2015/stories/201502220225[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Should he return to the Steelers, the 36-year-old could be useful as both insurance against the development of Jones -- who has flashed his ability but has yet to live up to his first-round selection -
    Definitely need the insurance!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

You're in good hands with Harrison!
    One more time James, one more time.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I can't believe I'm saying this but this team needs Harrison even at 36. The guy proved me and every other nay sayer wrong. He still has game and brings an attitude desperately needed.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Crossing my fingers and toes!!!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd be shocked if Harrison signed anywhere before the draft, but I'd love to see him back for one last shot in Pittsburgh. They'll have to limit his snaps, particularly early, but he showed that he can still be a contributor as part of a rotation. If Worilds leaves, Harrison is almost a must sign (unless they sign another OLB).

I'd also think that Harrison's work ethic has to be a positive influence in the locker room.