Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It could be time to get younger at tight end

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Max Williams would make sense. It would be nice to have Heath's success already in house, especially at a position like TE where you can have two contributors on the field at the same time. If Williams and a pass rusher are on the board, that will be a really tough choice.

My thought on TE this year is Williams or bust. I'd rather not draft a mediocre option in rounds 3-5. I'd rather grab Heath's successor or wait a year and find a really good player to solidify the position for the next 10 years.
    The mistake we (including myself here) make every year is to read the scouting reports and watch highlights on a few guys that we haven't seen, then just trust the scouts. They miss, too.

If I told you how many times I heard Tyler Eifert, only to rebut with "but, Ertz is better", which he appears to be so far. I just happened to watch Ertz that year - he was easily the best mismatch maker.

Having said that, I like a few TEs' this year. Don't know that any of them is the next Jimmy Graham, but, of the ones I've seen, there are a few 3rd round or later good/capable TEs with flaws.

- Walford from Miami is a little slow-ish, but, blocks well, gets open, and has good hands. I've seen him as high as 2nd rounder, but, suspect his 40-time will cause him to be available for the Steelers in the 3rd, if they want him.

- the kid at Fla state (O'Leary) is a bit of a throwback. Tough SOB that catches every thing. Will work his arse off to get open, to block. Just a little small-ish (think he's 6'3" or so). Being Jack Nicklaus' grandson, you'd think his eye-hand coordination is just genetic;

- the TE from Louisville (Christian) is a pretty athletic TE - probably the late-round steal this year at TE. They got lucky he left Fla to come join Charlie Strong and crew. This year, they just had crap at QB to throw to him. Again, his problem will be that he's only 6'3" ish, but, that's why he's a 6-FA option
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    February, 17, 2015
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

TE Nick Boyle, Delaware

The good: Another FCS prospect, Boyle has excellent size and sneaky athleticism. The 6-6, 270-pounder showed that in the Senior Bowl when he hurdled a defender after making a catch.

The concern: Not incredibly productive as a pass-catcher at Delaware. Boyle’s production dipped from his junior season when he caught 37 passes for 304 yards and four touchdowns for the Blue Hens.

Mayock on Boyle: “An in-line tight end that’s a great blocker and also a receiver is getting more and more rare. Almost everybody is a hybrid in college football these days. That helps [Boyle]. I like him. He’s a 270-pound guy who I thought had a better Senior Bowl than he actually did during the season. He opened some eyes. I think he’s limited in the pass game but because he’s got such an upside as an inline blocker and H-back/fullback, I think he’s a valuable commodity. Opinions are all over the board on these tight ends. It’s a weak class. I think he’s probably going to go in the fourth or fifth round.”

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/83770/three-non-power-5-prospects-that-could-interest-steelers[/URL]
    totally agree with him here
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

James C Wexell @jimwexell -

Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State, 6-3, 252, met with the #Steelers last night.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

James C Wexell @jimwexell -

Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State, 6-3, 252, met with the #Steelers last night.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]
    I'm guessing defense, defense, defense on day 1 and 2 of the draft (pass rushing OLB, corner, and safety...the order of which we take them will depend upon how the board falls to us), then we transition to young TE and back-up RB with our first two picks on day 3. If O'Leary falls into our laps in the 4th round, then great. If not, then maybe Koyack from ND, James from PSU, or Heuerman from OSU. If we go with a backup RB in round 4 instead (maybe Johnson from Northern Iowa or Langford from Michigan State who has worked with Le'Veon before), then maybe hope for that Boyle kid from Delaware in round 5.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex Kozora retweeted
    Dane Brugler @dpbrugler -

Most impressive interview from day one? #Minnesota TE Maxx Williams. Owned the room. Confident. Only 20 years old. Very, very impressive kid

[URL]https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot -

#NFLCombine TEs are about to run and we are tracking their times here:

[URL]http://bit.ly/1DFjcas[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    The mistake we (including myself here) make every year is to read the scouting reports and watch highlights on a few guys that we haven't seen, then just trust the scouts. They miss, too.

If I told you how many times I heard Tyler Eifert, only to rebut with "but, Ertz is better", which he appears to be so far. I just happened to watch Ertz that year - he was easily the best mismatch maker.

Having said that, I like a few TEs' this year. Don't know that any of them is the next Jimmy Graham, but, of the ones I've seen, there are a few 3rd round or later good/capable TEs with flaws.

- Walford from Miami is a little slow-ish, but, blocks well, gets open, and has good hands. I've seen him as high as 2nd rounder, but, suspect his 40-time will cause him to be available for the Steelers in the 3rd, if they want him.

- the kid at Fla state (O'Leary) is a bit of a throwback. Tough SOB that catches every thing. Will work his arse off to get open, to block. Just a little small-ish (think he's 6'3" or so). Being Jack Nicklaus' grandson, you'd think his eye-hand coordination is just genetic;

- the TE from Louisville (Christian) is a pretty athletic TE - probably the late-round steal this year at TE. They got lucky he left Fla to come join Charlie Strong and crew. This year, they just had crap at QB to throw to him. Again, his problem will be that he's only 6'3" ish, but, that's why he's a 6-FA option
    The thing is this...Maxx Williams is IMO the best prospects since Gronk and Graham. He is a special talent. IMO, his ceiling is much higher than Heaths coming out of college.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex Kozora retweeted
    Dane Brugler @dpbrugler -

Most impressive interview from day one? #Minnesota TE Maxx Williams. Owned the room. Confident. Only 20 years old. Very, very impressive kid

[URL]https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora[/URL]
    If he falls to 22, I think he is the guy. Only 20, Big Ten, huge ceiling and already better than most NFL TEs. He's the guy.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

2015 NFL Combine: Field Drills Recap - Tight Ends

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Minnesota's Maxx Williams is the consensus top tight end prospect and looks like a future second-round pick. Williams had a surprisingly slow time on his first 40-yard dash run of 4.90 with a 10-yard split of 1.74. He bounced back with a time of 4.78 seconds on the redo. In the field drills, Williams had some nice catches along the sideline and did well in the gauntlet, especially on the second rep. Williams had a solid Combine, but didn't do enough to vault himself into first-round consideration.

[URL]http://www.walterfootball.com/combine2015workoutTE.php[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

2015 NFL Combine: Field Drills Recap - Tight Ends

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Minnesota's Maxx Williams is the consensus top tight end prospect and looks like a future second-round pick. Williams had a surprisingly slow time on his first 40-yard dash run of 4.90 with a 10-yard split of 1.74. He bounced back with a time of 4.78 seconds on the redo. In the field drills, Williams had some nice catches along the sideline and did well in the gauntlet, especially on the second rep. Williams had a solid Combine, but didn't do enough to vault himself into first-round consideration.

[URL]http://www.walterfootball.com/combine2015workoutTE.php[/URL]
    Mayock said 2nd rd also?