Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers brass will look for 'truth' about CB Marcus Peters at Combine

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Exactly. Pass.
    I'm not sure here but I think squidkid was actually saying we can't coach up "good character" guys to be a talented CB...Draft a talented CB a teach him to be a professional. Honestly...That is one of the things that can't be gauged through the draft process & attributes to them failing at the NFL level. That is from Top to Bottom in the draft. Even the clean character guys could fail at being a professional. The other is "above the shoulders" as it relates to absorbing the complexity of the NFL game. There are extremely gifted athletes who are drafted high that fail at the NFL level because of these two reasons. The risk in the draft is that those "extremely gifted athletes" are the ones who sit at the Top of the draft & when they fail...They fail hard..."BUST"!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Choir Boys don't win Championships. Choir boys haven't won the Steelers 6. Balance character with talent & becoming a professional. If the Steelers are sold on Peters...I am too.

[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/former-washington-cb-marcus-peters-blames-himself-for-dismissal-163126676.html"]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...163126676.html[/URL]

[URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2364941-marcus-peters-aggressiveness-makes-him-2015-nfl-drafts-boom-or-bust-cornerback"]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2364941-marcus-peters-aggressiveness-makes-him-2015-nfl-drafts-boom-or-bust-cornerback[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

the steelers arent the classy organization that they once were.
    if the owner doesnt care about the integrity of the game, i dont care about the integrity of the players on the field.
    just win.

Legend

User Info Menu

The thing is though, poor character guys can destroy a locker room. It's important for the Steelers to do their due diligence because the last thing we need a first rounder who divide a locker room.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    the steelers arent the classy organization that they once were.
    if the owner doesnt care about the integrity of the game, i dont care about the integrity of the players on the field.
    just win.
    When were the Steelers "squeaky clean"? I keep hearing that there was some golden age of knights in shining armor types, mixed with choir and altar boys, that played for the Steelers and won them championships. Yet, the history, from gun wielding defensive linemen shooting at helicopters, to Joey Porter being in a situation which led to "The shot me in Denver", Stonio's marijuana and Harrison's DV charges show otherwise. There have ALWAYS been character risks on the Steelers championship teams. ALWAYS. The issue facing the Steelers as far as Peters will be is he such a huge character risk that you take him off the board? They've more than likely already started investigating to find the answer to that question and will add to their research this week. Personally, I hope the answer is no, because we could use a talent like that in our secondary.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Marcus Peters worth to the Steelers is all on the Steelers. We can't put value on him because the answers we need will come out in the interviews. The Tape says he is the best CB in the draft...Top 10-15 talent. Would I take him at #22? Absolutely based on tape...A STEAL! But like I said...I need answers to questions before I would pull the trigger. Nobody in here has those answers. If the Steelers pass on him at #22...You know how they feel.
    I concur. He simply won't be on their draft boards when they stack them.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    When were the Steelers "squeaky clean"? I keep hearing that there was some golden age of knights in shining armor types, mixed with choir and altar boys, that played for the Steelers and won them championships. Yet, the history, from gun wielding defensive linemen shooting at helicopters, to Joey Porter being in a situation which led to "The shot me in Denver", Stonio's marijuana and Harrison's DV charges show otherwise. There have ALWAYS been character risks on the Steelers championship teams. ALWAYS. The issue facing the Steelers as far as Peters will be is he such a huge character risk that you take him off the board? They've more than likely already started investigating to find the answer to that question and will add to their research this week. Personally, I hope the answer is no, because we could use a talent like that in our secondary.
    I could live with losing out on a 4th round pick with Ta'Amu or a 5th round pick with Rainey. The risk isn't so great on day 3 of the draft. If we hit on a talent there, great. If we end up having to cut him in year two, no major harm done.

I wasn't happy with using a 2nd round pick on someone with red flags like Mike Adams, so I certainly would not want to risk our top pick on someone with multiple red flags. If he turns out to be great and we pass, so be it. I can live with that. I would not be happy if we took him in the first and he flames out due to similar transgressions on the next level.

I was glad that Blount was cut after his shenanigans, because he was a relatively minor free agent signing in the grand scheme of things. I would hate to see something similar happen with our first round draft pick. Things like that happen to first round picks of the Browns.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Can't play it safe all the time. When we traded for The Bus, the word out of St. Louis was that he had "effort" red flags and that's why the staff there soured on him. There were intelligence and immaturity red flags on Bradshaw. We have taken guys with red flags, even multiple red flags, in the first before and we will again. The question for me is whether or not the kid can be taught to be a professional. If they believe he can, they should pull the trigger if he's the BPA. If not, move on to the next BPA and let someone else deal with the perceived headache.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post

i dont recall saying 'squeaky' clean but there was a time when we released troubled players and avoided headcases on draft day. that owner is gone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If his character isn't a cancer to the team you have to decide if you could live with it. That's what the brass has to determine. This of course would be Part 2 after they are satisfied with the versions of what happened. That part may or may not happen. That's all in the Steelers hands. It appears he is saying the right things & being accountable. If the Steelers are satisfied with the explanation of what happened and feel confident he is genuine & learned from his mistakes...They have to determine if his "character" will fit in that locker room. Let's be honest. The spectrum of character in even the Steelers locker room goes to both ends. The Steelers have to feel the players around him & the coaches will guide him in the right direction. Me personally....The Steelers need a little cocky. If he could Become a professional & produce...I have no problem with that. He will have a little Lee Flowers - Joey Porter in him....So be it. That can rub off in a good way on a defense. To be honest...This young D needs a little of that so they could find an identity.