Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time running out for Steelers' 3rd string QB Landry Jones?

Legend

User Info Menu

Time running out for Steelers' 3rd string QB Landry Jones?

Time running out for Steelers' third-string quarterback Jones?

By Mark Kaboly
    Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015

The Steelers used a fourth-round pick on quarterback Landry Jones not so he could be groomed to be Ben Roethlisberger's eventual replacement, but more to infuse some much-needed youth into an aging position.

At the time, it made sense.

Charlie Batch was 38, and Byron Leftwich was 32 and coming off shoulder and rib injuries.

Two years later, it's making a lot less sense.

Jones has been inactive for every game since being drafted in 2013 and hasn't advanced enough to beat out veteran Bruce Gradkowski as Roethlisberger's backup.

General manager Kevin Colbert isn't sure Jones ever will.

“Has he progressed to the point where he beat out Bruce as the No. 2? No,” Colbert said. “Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I think when you have young guys, at least they have that chance to grow.”

The Steelers have used mid-round picks before in hopes of finding a young and capable backup to Roethlisberger.

They drafted two other quarterbacks since Roethlisberger became their starter, both in the fifth round. Omar Jacobs was picked in 2006 and Dennis Dixon in 2008.

Neither worked out, and the Steelers moved on.

“If they grow, great. If they don't, then you look for others,” Colbert said.

That's not what you want to hear from a general manager who used a valuable pick on a backup quarterback when the team had gaping holes at a number of other positions.

But the Steelers aren't about to give up on Jones yet.

Gradkowski is in the final year of a three-year deal signed in 2013, and the Steelers would like Jones to be ready to take over the backup job by the end of Gradkowski's contract.

Roethlisberger has been healthy the past two years, starting every game and missing only 10 snaps, but those were the only years of his career that he played in every game.

“We wanted to get a young quarterback in the mix,” Colbert said. “It never hurts to have young depth at every position.

“After those two, Byron and Charlie, were out we put someone in between Ben and Landry. Bruce was young depth. He was 30 years old, I think, when we signed him. He was experienced, but he was young. Landry wasn't ready.”

Jones struggled with his accuracy during his rookie year. He was better during training camp and preseason this past season, but not good enough to supplant Gradkowski.

Switching systems from Oklahoma's shotgun, quick-throw offense to the Steelers' pro style has been a process.

Jones, who threw for 16,646 yards and 123 touchdowns in four years as the Sooners' quarterback, was used to throwing from the shotgun or pistol formation in college.

“It's just a lot,” Jones told Trib Total Media in the spring. “It's totally different. Speed is different. Defenses are different. It is just a lot thrown at you.”

Still, Colbert saw signs of Jones getting better last year. His preseason completion percentage went from 45 to 61 percent, but he threw for only 224 yards in three preseason games and not once led a drive that resulted in a touchdown.

“I think he got better definitely from year one to year two,” Colbert said. “He had more extended play this preseason. I thought there were signs where he did some things better than he did the year before.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7764670-74/jones-steelers-quarterback#ixzz3ReYB7Vh1[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

I guess with 5 preseason games this year, he'd better take advantage...

Cue the complaints!
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Jones had a pretty decent career at Oklahoma - the fourth round was about where I thought he should have been drafted.

It looks like he has all the tools in terms of size, foot speed and arm strength.

Is he maybe missing some of the intangibles? Is the pro game too fast for him?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think that QBs from the shotgun/spread offense normally have a tough time adjusting to the pro game. Considering that, for the first time in his career, Ben started 32 consecutive games, there has not been a lot of practice reps for Jones, let alone game snaps. Hopefully, with extra preseason game snaps, he can show some development.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think Kaboly forgot to mention how uncomfortable Landry still looks in the pocket and how he gets happy feet when the rush gets close. I don't mean that he takes off and runs (that might be better) he starts "hopping" and rarely just steps up into the pocket or rolls away from the rush to look for an open receiver. They can cite "progress" all they want, but Landry hasn't shown much to validate that opinion and in my opinion (not that it matters) time is running out for him to do so.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Jones had a pretty decent career at Oklahoma - the fourth round was about where I thought he should have been drafted.

It looks like he has all the tools in terms of size, foot speed and arm strength.

Is he maybe missing some of the intangibles? Is the pro game too fast for him?
    It appears to be the intangibles that are the issue. He never looks comfortable when he's in the game and pressure really causes him angst. His accuracy diminishes and while this past pre-season his completion percentage went way up, he was incapable of leading a drive that ended in a TD. I don't expect him around after this camp. I liked the pick when they grabbed him in the 4th, but he just hasn't panned out, to this point.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

If you give Jones a clean pocket, in a no pressure situation he can throw a pretty ball. But, how often does that happen? This is a head problem not an arm problem.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bill Polian says Landry Jones is the best QB in the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2013

In the 1998 NFL draft, Colts General Manager Bill Polian had a decision to make: Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? He chose right, and as a result his job in Indianapolis was safe as long Manning was there.

Now Polian is playing a different role, analyzing the draft for ESPN, and he was asked to pick the best quarterback in this year’s draft. Polian’s surprising answer? Oklahoma’s Landry Jones.

Polian said he attended the 2011 Oklahoma-Texas A&M game and watched Jones complete 18/38 passes for 255 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and Polian thought Jones compared favorably to Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who was last year’s No. 8 overall pick and is now the Dolphins’ starter.

“He was a good one, and when he had a good supporting cast around him, he was great,” Polian said of Jones. “I was at the game in Norman where he beat Tannehill head-to-head, in a very, very fierce wind. So this guy has been a winner, he’s got stature, he’s got arm strength — he can make all the throws. He sees the field quite well, and he’s a natural leader.”

Polian acknowledged that there are concerns about Jones, including his lack of mobility, and he said he doesn’t see a Peyton Manning in this year’s draft. But he thinks if there’s a quarterback who’s going to make an instant impact for an NFL team in 2013, it’s Jones.

“I don’t think anybody in this group is going to be able to step in right away and lead the team, but if you ask me, who’s the guy who’s most ready, and who’s the guy who’s had the most winning experience, it would be Landry Jones,” Polian said.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/19/bill-polian-says-landry-jones-is-the-best-qb-in-the-draft/[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One of the hardest thing to do is coach someone to stare down the gun barrel. Feet want to get them out of there and it just isn't something many can handle well. Not sure if Jones will make it but the scholarship is now over.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Bill Polian says Landry Jones is the best QB in the draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2013

In the 1998 NFL draft, Colts General Manager Bill Polian had a decision to make: Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf? He chose right, and as a result his job in Indianapolis was safe as long Manning was there.

Now Polian is playing a different role, analyzing the draft for ESPN, and he was asked to pick the best quarterback in this year’s draft. Polian’s surprising answer? Oklahoma’s Landry Jones.

Polian said he attended the 2011 Oklahoma-Texas A&M game and watched Jones complete 18/38 passes for 255 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and Polian thought Jones compared favorably to Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who was last year’s No. 8 overall pick and is now the Dolphins’ starter.

“He was a good one, and when he had a good supporting cast around him, he was great,” Polian said of Jones. “I was at the game in Norman where he beat Tannehill head-to-head, in a very, very fierce wind. So this guy has been a winner, he’s got stature, he’s got arm strength — he can make all the throws. He sees the field quite well, and he’s a natural leader.”

Polian acknowledged that there are concerns about Jones, including his lack of mobility, and he said he doesn’t see a Peyton Manning in this year’s draft. But he thinks if there’s a quarterback who’s going to make an instant impact for an NFL team in 2013, it’s Jones.

“I don’t think anybody in this group is going to be able to step in right away and lead the team, but if you ask me, who’s the guy who’s most ready, and who’s the guy who’s had the most winning experience, it would be Landry Jones,” Polian said.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/19/bill-polian-says-landry-jones-is-the-best-qb-in-the-draft/[/URL]
    Polian has been pretty bad with his draft predictions lately.... like, horribly wrong to the point one wonders if he is trolling or bait clicking with his predictions.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-15-2015 at 10:35 PM.