Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What If

Starter

User Info Menu

What If

Mike Tomlin/Todd Haley would have made that call in the Red zone?? They would have been crucified (rightfully so) These type of things just don't happen here, every coach/organization has this stuff happen.

Starter

User Info Menu

Anyone who would make that call should be crucified.

Starter

User Info Menu

As I sit here today, I can't think of a worst call in all the games I have ever watched.

That said, the fact that the Seahawks were in a position to win that game is nuts to begin with. If it wasn't for that moronic "I know better than everyone call", what everyone would remember was that ridiculous miracle reception that set it up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I can see passing in that situation but not the route they used. Crossing pattern across the middle where traffic is most crowded, and tipped balls abound. Well, it wasn't a tip that did them in; it was the crowd of players. If you're going to pass, use play action to Lynch and lob one to the TE. Or drag a FB diagonally into the flat. The FB gets single coverage at most and often no coverage at all. But fer gawd's sake don't chuck it into a traffic jam.
    Last edited by RobinCole; 02-02-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sure if the Steelers would have made that call they would be calling for Haley's and Tomlin's head. Of course they also would be screaming for LeBeau's head because it's only the Steeler defense that gives up 14 points late in the fourth quarter.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Guess I am one of the few but I think it was the perfect playcall for what they have on offense. The whole world knew Beast Mode was going to get the rock.. There were 8 in the box.. BM was not having a monster night - Vince W was though.. The Quick Slant behind the Pick was a great Call - the only problem was the Guy who had been beaten the play before on some fluke wild Crap was praying for one more chance at Redemption.. He sold out for that one play and Came up Aces. He made a Superbowl winning play.. Thats all.. The percentages were in the Seahawks favor - buddy just beat the odds.

There is no play in a playbook that is 100% undefensible.. Heck the Pats didnt even call a Time out because EVERYBODY KNEW who to look for..
    Sometimes you just have to tip your hat..

Legend

User Info Menu

You run the ball...end of story. If you can get a yard on three plays, you don't deserve to win a championship.

Backup

User Info Menu

And if they had Run up the middle and Lost 8 yards ala Laflunk do you run it again?
    They had a QB who was flirting with Elite, they put the ball in his hands and he came up empty. There was no Guarentee that BM would have made it but the World wants us to believe he would have.. What did he end up with 102 or something like that, he was not setting the world on Fire..
    Everybody who is claiming they should have was also assuming that at the end of the Half they should have settled for the FG with 6 seconds left instead of The TD.
    and as for our fans, we are always claiming No turtle, dont play to lose, Be aggressive - but now when It doesnt work those same folks want to say well you should have played Turtle ball, played it Safe, yadda yaddaa yaddaa.. The Seahawks were in the superbowl because they took chances.. Thats who they were.. Just didnt work last night..

I didnt have a problem with the Quick Slant - The house was coming and the ball had to come out quick..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Mike Tomlin/Todd Haley would have made that call in the Red zone?? They would have been crucified (rightfully so) These type of things just don't happen here, every coach/organization has this stuff happen.
    earlier this year, Haley did about 15 times... and we crucified him for every one of them - even when they did result in TDs (like the Antonio Brown pass)
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    You run the ball...end of story. If you can get a yard on three plays, you don't deserve to win a championship.
    I'm not defending the call to throw the ball into a congested middle of the field. But they didn't have 3 plays to run. If they had run on 2nd down and didn't make it, they would've had to call a time out. Then if they run on 3rd down and don't make it, they can't stop the clock to have another attempt at running on 4th down. To have 3 shots at scoring, they had to pass on one of them and they chose the least obvious down to do it, which I'm OK with. It's just that the actual pass play called was too dangerous.