Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Belicheat at it again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    No, but that's better than an asterisk beside the ones you do win,...just sayin'...

the reality is, the asterisk is only there in our eyes.

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/super-bowl/nfl-investigating-patriots-for-improper-inflation-of-footballs-1.9821346[/URL]

NFL investigating Patriots for improper inflation of footballsUpdated January 19, 2015 9:40 AM
    By BOB GLAUBER [email]bob.glauber@newsday.com[/email]

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The NFL is looking into whether footballs used in the Patriots’ 45-7 win over the Colts in Sunday's AFC Championship game were improperly inflated.

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed in an email to Newsday on Monday morning that the matter is being investigated. Signora declined to offer further details about the matter.

Bob Kravitz of WTHR.com first reported that the league would investigate the possibility that at least some of the Patriots' footballs used in the game were not fully inflated as a way to make throwing the ball easier in the rain that persisted through most of the game.

Kravitz also said that if the Patriots are found to have improperly inflated the footballs, they could have draft picks taken away. Kravitz also reported that on-field officials removed one football from the game to have it checked.

It is unclear as to where a complaint originated.

On his regular Monday morning appearance of WEEI Radio in Boston, New England quarterback Tom Brady called the reports were "ridiculous."

"I think I've heard it all at this point," Brady laughed. "That's the last of my worries. I don't even respond to stuff like this."

According to the NFL rule book, footballs must be inflated to between 12.5-13.5 pounds per square inch (PSI) and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces. There also are specific rules about how many footballs are to be available for each game, as well as testing procedures by the on-field officials.

“Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game to meet League requirements,” according to the NFL rule book. “The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.

“In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a properball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the Commissioner.

"In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center. The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).

“Note: It is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing field.”

This is not the first time the Patriots are faced with controversy about the rules. The team was caught spying on Jets’ coaches during a game in the 2007 season against the Jets. The NFL eventually punished the team with the forfeiture of a first-round draft pick. The team was fined $250,000 and head coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000.

Legend

User Info Menu

so the refs should be under investigation for not doing their job.

Starter

User Info Menu

Nothing,will come of it,it never does when it comes to the Pats.

Backup

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the referee handle the ball on every play? Just sayin!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
    If I'm not mistaken doesn't the referee handle the ball on every play? Just sayin!!
    Not sure Jimbo, I'm not a ball-handling expert....but you could read the 3 articles I've posted as they outline the roles of the officials and the rules and guidelines for the proper handling of game balls....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    no but maybe they practiced all week with it in the rain, when it called for rain.

so when the 1 football was thrown out, the pats were at a huge disadvantage because they spent the whole week throwing and catching a deflated football but then had to use a properly inflated one the rest of the game.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Jesus Christ, some people are so willfully ignorant...

If you read, you will see that each team is responsible for their own game balls...the officiating crew is to verify the inflation. Either they didn't, they were persuaded not to, or the balls were interfered with during the game...

If it isn't important and doesn't provide an advantage, then why have a rule in place?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so when the 1 football was thrown out, the pats were at a huge disadvantage because they spent the whole week throwing and catching a deflated football but then had to use a properly inflated one the rest of the game.
    that makes perfect sense...assuming you are correct in your assumption that there was only one ball affected....which is why they are investigating this irregularity to begin with...to see if there's multiple balls deflated, thus pointing to giving the Pats an advantage...not so sure why you are so passionately defending them?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Because he loves them and wants to marry them...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.