Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drew Brees replaces Ben on Pro Bowl roster

Legend

User Info Menu

Drew Brees replaces Ben on Pro Bowl roster

Drew Brees replaces Ben Roethlisberger on Pro Bowl roster

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 9, 2015

Saints quarterback Drew Brees is headed back to the Pro Bowl.

Brees will replace Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the Pro Bowl roster, the NFL announced Friday. It’s unclear why Roethlisberger will not play in the league’s all-star game, but he did suffer a neck injury in Saturday’s wild card round loss to Baltimore.

This is the seventh consecutive season Brees has made the Pro Bowl and his ninth Pro Bowl nod overall. He completed 456-of-659 passes for 4,952 yards with 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 2014.

The Pro Bowl will be played January 25 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/09/drew-brees-replaces-ben-roethlisberger-on-pro-bowl-roster/[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

no one wants to go to phoenix. hawaii was what made the pro bowl worthwhile.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post

Legend

User Info Menu

I have a question about pro bowl acknowledgement, Ben was selected to the pro bowl but isn't going to play, they're replacing him with Brees, so does Ben lose the selection and Brees get the selection or do both get acknowledged as being pro bowl QBs? It seems if you weren't selected you shouldn't get the acknowledgement, if they selected 4 QBs and you weren't one and now you are then there are 5 selected and that wasn't the intent.

Hmmmm

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    Really? These players can travel anywhere they want I doubt they would give up a pro bowl accolade because the game is in phoenix. It most certainly has to do with an injury.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I have a question about pro bowl acknowledgement, Ben was selected to the pro bowl but isn't going to play, they're replacing him with Brees, so does Ben lose the selection and Brees get the selection or do both get acknowledged as being pro bowl QBs? It seems if you weren't selected you shouldn't get the acknowledgement, if they selected 4 QBs and you weren't one and now you are then there are 5 selected and that wasn't the intent.

Hmmmm

Pappy
    The deck is stacked. Both are recognized a Pro Bowl players, but Brees is recognized as the "Pro Bowl alternate". I think both may get paid...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hmmmm

Pappy
    It's even more complicated now because guys playing in the SuperBowl cant be in the Pro Bowl. So there's gonna be even more alternates.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hmmmm

Pappy
    Both are considered Pro Bowl QBs. As you saw in the article published -
    This is the seventh consecutive season Brees has made the Pro Bowl and his ninth Pro Bowl nod overall.
    Years from now in his HOF induction, Brees will be called a nine-time PBer (as of now).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am ok with it. The pro bowl is a joke.

BUT, no Pro Bowl for Ben, no AP votes or discussion as league MVP. Not team MVP. His best year ever and it's all pedestrian to anyone else. I feel kinda sorry for the guy. The most snubbed QB in many years.

It is for these reasons, and the anti-Steeler bias in the HOF, that Ben will not make it in. He will join Plunkett as the only 2 time SB winners not in the hall.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    I am ok with it. The pro bowl is a joke.

BUT, no Pro Bowl for Ben, no AP votes or discussion as league MVP. Not team MVP. His best year ever and it's all pedestrian to anyone else. I feel kinda sorry for the guy. The most snubbed QB in many years.

It is for these reasons, and the anti-Steeler bias in the HOF, that Ben will not make it in. He will join Plunkett as the only 2 time SB winners not in the hall.
    Well then, he'll just have to win #3 and eliminate any doubt.