Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Column: Keep Worilds, keep building defense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think that's debateable. Harrison is still their best OLB against the run, and it isn't close. Worilds has more speed and offers more in coverage, but he leaves a lot to be desired as a pass rusher.

The fact that there is a question whether a $10 million OLB is better than a 36 year old who started the season in retirement says a lot about Worilds.
    We won't debate. You are right...It isn't close. Worilds is much better than Harrison right now. Harrison only can give 2-3 plays a drive where he wins. That number decreases as the game goes on. I praised Harrison before the playoff game because I didn't think he had it in him. After the playoff game...He proved me right. Harrison was there in the beginning of the game then struggled.

That's the flavor of an aged player...It is a young mans game. Harrison won't make it through camp & preseason then give you 16 games of glory. He won't come back to be a back-up & JJ needs to get on the field...Permanently. We all love Harrison, Kiesel, Taylor, & Troy. They aren't the clear solution...They are the particles that make it cloudy. If they remain...They will become the sediment. NOBODY wants to see that happen to them. It's time for they to call it a game. Us Steeler faithful wanted them to go out kissing the Lombardi. Sometimes you end up going out with a kiss. It is time.

Legend

User Info Menu

In fairness to Worilds, this is his first full season as a starter. There's a lot of changes on the D. And he performed above average. Sure the $10M contract is a lot and he didn't play to the level of that contract, but that doesn't make him a bad player.

He isn't the most dominant OLB we've ever had in Pittsburgh. But his production was still in the neighborhood of Clark Haggans or even slightly less than we got out of Lamar Woodley. And at 26, his best football is probably in front of him for the next 4-5 years.

I just don't see a viable alternative to keeping him if we can.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    We won't debate. You are right...It isn't close. Worilds is much better than Harrison right now. Harrison only can give 2-3 plays a drive where he wins. That number decreases as the game goes on. I praised Harrison before the playoff game because I didn't think he had it in him. After the playoff game...He proved me right. Harrison was there in the beginning of the game then struggled.

That's the flavor of an aged player...It is a young mans game. Harrison won't make it through camp & preseason then give you 16 games of glory. He won't come back to be a back-up & JJ needs to get on the field...Permanently. We all love Harrison, Kiesel, Taylor, & Troy. They aren't the clear solution...They are the particles that make it cloudy. If they remain...They will become the sediment. NOBODY wants to see that happen to them. It's time for they to call it a game. Us Steeler faithful wanted them to go out kissing the Lombardi. Sometimes you end up going out with a kiss. It is time.
    For what its worth, even in the playoff game, Harrison graded out better than Worilds according to PFF (I'm not an absolute believer in their grades, but they can be useful). I don't think Harrison can play a full season next year, either, and I'm not suggesting that the Steelers count on him to be a starter.

But I'd also hate to see them overpay Worilds. Worilds rarely wins one on one matchups. If he comes back for half of what he made last year, that is fine. Even that is likely an overpay. Worilds proved this year that he is not a #1 OLB. He might be fine as a complimentary guy (a Jason Gildon to a Joey Porter), but he cannot be counted on, or paid like, an elite OLB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting discussion on Worilds. He sure is a polarizing figure here.

I don't like the idea that you may have to sign him because he is the best of a bad group. Can you win with this guy? I would not want him on the team if he is a poor option, but the best of many poor options. I would rather move on from him and use the money you would otherwise spend on him to shore up another unit on the D to mask the problems at LOLB. That forces the team to find another player at some point, and probably cheaper. Whether they choose to groom a youngster or grab a FA vet, if Worilds is not the answer then he is not the answer.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think Harrison can play a full season next year, either, and I'm not suggesting that the Steelers count on him to be a starter.

But I'd also hate to see them overpay Worilds. Worilds rarely wins one on one matchups. If he comes back for half of what he made last year, that is fine. Even that is likely an overpay. Worilds proved this year that he is not a #1 OLB. He might be fine as a complimentary guy (a Jason Gildon to a Joey Porter), but he cannot be counted on, or paid like, an elite OLB.
    Bring back Harrison on a one year and have him split time with Jones and hope Jones does something...anything resembling becoming a good player. Curious what everyone considers "overpay" for Worilds. Someone who thinks he should get $3M per year is plain stupid. Market value based on other contracts from the last year and performance would indicate $5-6M. Guys who produced less than him signed for about that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For what its worth, even in the playoff game, Harrison graded out better than Worilds according to PFF (I'm not an absolute believer in their grades, but they can be useful). I don't think Harrison can play a full season next year, either, and I'm not suggesting that the Steelers count on him to be a starter.

I agree & stated...Don't overpay. But in the same reference of PFF on Harrison grading out better in playoff game...

"Worilds played this season on the $10 million transition tag, of course, and had absolutely zero chance of living up to that dollar figure. Which he didn’t. Maybe only J.J. Watt could have done that on the defensive side. But Saturday’s egg aside, Worilds was the Steelers’ only player to take all 998 defensive snaps, and he recorded eight sacks, 16 quarterback hits, 28 hurries, five tackles for losses and an interception, a forced fumble and two recoveries. Of the NFL’s 33 outside linebackers in a 3-4 scheme who participated in at least 500 snaps, Worilds ranked 10th, according to Pro Football Focus‘ grading system."

Don't forget in that playoff game Harrison was going against a rookie UDFA in James Hurst & Worilds was going against 4 Time All Pro Marshall Yanda. Respect to Yanda...He got the better of Worilds but so did the rest of the OL against our defense. The week before against the Bengals Worilds graded out the best & Harrison was one of four in the red. So take what you want from PFF grades.

This year didn't prove Worilds isn't a #1 but it didn't reveal if you can pay him like a #1. Since there are questions with JJ still unanswered...The Steelers are in a dilemma. What this year proved is that the balance of pressure & coverage doesn't exist. The sacks are way down & the big plays are up. The Steelers need improvement on both ends. Here's the problem. Letting Worilds leave & inserting an "unknown" there is a huge gamble that can't be fixed during the season. I don't think anyone, including myself, can say that an upgrade isn't possible but at what expense & at what risk? JJ was the closest thing to a "plug & play" Steelers OLB by experts & many in here. So you could see the problem the Steelers face. NOTHING through the draft is predictable & the Steelers won't pay for PROVEN.

So...Best case for the Steelers. #1 is you HOPE JJ works hard in the offseason & becomes who they thought he could be. #2... You try & retain Worilds at a fair deal for both. I'm of the feeling a 6 mil avg. Escalators for total sacks, % Games started, & Top 5 sack total for his position. Injury clause will be needed to protect him. Would anyone complain if he starts 14 games & gets 10 sacks and it costs the Steelers 7 mil? Would anyone complain if he starts 16 games & gets 12-14 sacks and costs the Steelers 9 mil? I think that would be right in line. #3...Still draft an OLB in the 1st three rounds. You need insurance & competition for JJ. Even if JJ pans out...Wouldn't be difficult to find a way to get 3 pass rushers on the field in sub packages. You combine that with an improved secondary via draft & within....This defense will turn around. The DL & ILBs look promising so we have something to build around.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 01-07-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I agree & stated...Don't overpay. But in the same reference of PFF on Harrison grading out better in playoff game...

"Worilds played this season on the $10 million transition tag, of course, and had absolutely zero chance of living up to that dollar figure. Which he didn’t. Maybe only J.J. Watt could have done that on the defensive side. But Saturday’s egg aside, Worilds was the Steelers’ only player to take all 998 defensive snaps, and he recorded eight sacks, 16 quarterback hits, 28 hurries, five tackles for losses and an interception, a forced fumble and two recoveries. Of the NFL’s 33 outside linebackers in a 3-4 scheme who participated in at least 500 snaps, Worilds ranked 10th, according to Pro Football Focus‘ grading system."

Don't forget in that playoff game Harrison was going against a rookie UDFA in James Hurst & Worilds was going against 4 Time All Pro Marshall Yanda. Respect to Yanda...He got the better of Worilds but so did the rest of the OL against our defense. The week before against the Bengals Worilds graded out the best & Harrison was one of four in the red. So take what you want from PFF grades.

This year didn't prove Worilds isn't a #1 but it didn't reveal if you can pay him like a #1. Since there are questions with JJ still unanswered...The Steelers are in a dilemma. What this year proved is that the balance of pressure & coverage doesn't exist. The sacks are way down & the big plays are up. The Steelers need improvement on both ends. Here's the problem. Letting Worilds leave & inserting an "unknown" there is a huge gamble that can't be fixed during the season. I don't think anyone, including myself, can say that an upgrade isn't possible but at what expense & at what risk? JJ was the closest thing to a "plug & play" Steelers OLB by experts & many in here. So you could see the problem the Steelers face. NOTHING through the draft is predictable & the Steelers won't pay for PROVEN.

So...Best case for the Steelers. #1 is you HOPE JJ works hard in the offseason & becomes who they thought he could be. #2... You try & retain Worilds at a fair deal for both. I'm of the feeling a 6 mil avg. Escalators for total sacks, % Games started, & Top 5 sack total for his position. Injury clause will be needed to protect him. Would anyone complain if he starts 14 games & gets 10 sacks and it costs the Steelers 7 mil? Would anyone complain if he starts 16 games & gets 12-14 sacks and costs the Steelers 9 mil? I think that would be right in line. #3...Still draft an OLB in the 1st three rounds. You need insurance & competition for JJ. Even if JJ pans out...Wouldn't be difficult to find a way to get 3 pass rushers on the field in sub packages. You combine that with an improved secondary via draft & within....This defense will turn around. The DL & ILBs look promising so we have something to build around.
    Excellent article. Thanks for posting. It is right on the mark. The failure of JJ to become what we hoped has put us in a bad position. Also, Worilds has never been as bad as many portray him. I agree with the right amount to sign him mentioned in the article.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I just saw a breakdown of all of Worilds sacks on the site that shall not be named. Of his sacks, he had 1 where he beat a RT. Just 1. With that type of performance from Worilds, the Steelers will never generate pressure with a 4 man rush. So how much is he worth?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just saw a breakdown of all of Worilds sacks on the site that shall not be named. Of his sacks, he had 1 where he beat a RT. Just 1. With that type of performance from Worilds, the Steelers will never generate pressure with a 4 man rush. So how much is he worth?
    I saw the same thing. Doesn't change anything.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I have never understood why people criticize Worilds or any other player for getting sacks where they did something other than just run over someone. A sack is a sack, I don't care how it comes about. That seems like criticizing a running back for a 10-yard gain because he didn't run over two or three linebackers to make those yards.

I would like to see the Steelers retain Worilds. I think the board tends to underappreciate him. He is good sized and pretty strong at 262 lbs. Therefore is he big enough to set the edge. When people suggest Shazier as a replacement, my initial thought is that Shazier isn't nearly big and physical enough to play that position. Worilds is athletic and can cover. He is versatile and has very good ability as a pass rusher. He doesn't seem to have that streak of nastiness like linebackers like Suggs, a prime Joey Porter or Greg Lloyd. But I doubt very much that he is as easily replaceable by a cheap FA or rookie as some people seem to think.

If Worilds and his agent want to break the bank, he is an attractive enough player that someone may give it to him. But I hope his sense of loyalty and that he has found a niche here comes into the thinking. I'll bet the teams who are evaluating talent place a much higher value on him than some of the Pittsburgh fans do.