Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Column: Keep Worilds, keep building defense

Legend

User Info Menu

If he truly left football because of some higher spiritual calling, then he is probably the kind of guy who would tithe 10% of his earnings to his church as well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    so what...

it ain't about the money per say...

Most of these guys make enough to live on but there is a reason most end up broke.

Just seems odd for Worilds to walk away at 27.
    Maybe "walking" away is what he wants to be able to do, rather than end up like many retired football players unable to jog, bend over to put on socks, wake up in pain, go to bed in pain, etc., so, he made a life decision that "I've earned enough money and I don't love the game that much to potentially be crippled by the game when I'm 40 years old." to enjoy life rather than agonize over it every day. I can't say that I blame him, of course, I played one year of football and decided that basketball, golf and baseball were more appealing.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

I found this:

[url]http://www.prosportstax.com/Images/Attachments/rn4b61f78e0a858.pdf[/url]
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Maybe "walking" away is what he wants to be able to do, rather than end up like many retired football players unable to jog, bend over to put on socks, wake up in pain, go to bed in pain, etc., so, he made a life decision that "I've earned enough money and I don't love the game that much to potentially be crippled by the game when I'm 40 years old." to enjoy life rather than agonize over it every day. I can't say that I blame him, of course, I played one year of football and decided that basketball, golf and baseball were more appealing.

Pappy
    sure... I'm not mad at him, just scratching my head since one day earlier Patrick Willis was rumored to retire due to spiritual reasons.

When I saw the text from my friend I thought he was talking about Willis.

Maybe they are spiritual friends.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Some people are happy if they can afford a PS4...

My brother claimed that Worilds had a chance to live the American Dream...to which I responded that Worilds could most likely live very comfortably for the rest of his life and never have to do anything that he doesn't want to do. If that is the case, then he's already got this American Dream thing down...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

My brother claimed that Worilds had a chance to live the American Dream...to which I responded that Worilds could most likely live very comfortably for the rest of his life and never have to do anything that he doesn't want to do. If that is the case, then he's already got this American Dream thing down...
    Amen to that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    sure... I'm not mad at him, just scratching my head since one day earlier Patrick Willis was rumored to retire due to spiritual reasons.

When I saw the text from my friend I thought he was talking about Willis.

Maybe they are spiritual friends.
    I'm with you about the skepticism of the "spiritual" thing and Willis' announcement the day prior, however, looking at Worilds decision independently of Willis, to me it looks like a guy who isn't in love with the game and decided that he's had enough whether for spiritual reasons or otherwise. I wish him well, he's earned enough to do whatever he wants as far as income is concerned, provided he lives like you and me (slightly better), but he can't live like he's bringing in a check for 575,000 (gross, we all know about taxes etc.) every week.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

I agree with you 100%. The life of an NFL player isn't all it's cracked up to be. The physical toll it takes on your body is tremendous. The preparation it takes is non stop. You are away from your family a lot,and no amount of money can make up for that. Mr Worilds is living the American Dream.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Too much support for worilds in this thread lol

Guy underperformed for 5 straight years, its a good riddance

Legend

User Info Menu

The guy is 27 years old, and he gets to walk into the next phase of his life with possibly $10M or so in the bank. Not so bad.