Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryant proud to win Steelers rookie honor

Legend

User Info Menu

Bryant proud to win Steelers rookie honor

WR Martavis Bryant emerged as a deep threat for the offense and was named the Steelers Rookie of the Year.

For the first six games of the season rookie receiver Martavis Bryant stood on the sidelines, watching games in sweats, inactive and just waiting for his turn to get on the field.

Then something changed. Something clicked. Against Houston Bryant saw his first action of the season and responded with two receptions, one of them a 35-yard touchdown. And it just got better from there. So good, that Bryant was selected as the “Joe Greene Great Performance Award” winner by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America, given annually to the team’s outstanding rookie.

“What kept me positive was my life,” said Bryant. “I have always gone through things and overcome it. I just figured it was another thing I had to overcome. I just stayed focused and continued to work. Once I got my chance I just made sure I wouldn’t give it back.”

Bryant, the Steelers fourth-round draft pick, has 25 receptions for 528 yards and seven touchdowns this season, playing in just nine games, with two starts. He has been a deep threat for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, with a touchdown reception of 80 yards and one for 94 yards.

Bryant’s best game was against the New York Jets when he had four receptions for 143 yards and the 80-yard touchdown. He had two games with multiple touchdowns, scoring twice against Indianapolis and Baltimore at Heinz Field.

“I am going to just go out and play hard for the team and give great effort," said Bryant. “If I do that great things will happen.”

[url]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-52610ca94cd5[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    WR Martavis Bryant emerged as a deep threat for the offense and was named the Steelers Rookie of the Year.

For the first six games of the season rookie receiver Martavis Bryant stood on the sidelines, watching games in sweats, inactive and just waiting for his turn to get on the field.

Then something changed. Something clicked. Against Houston Bryant saw his first action of the season and responded with two receptions, one of them a 35-yard touchdown. And it just got better from there. So good, that Bryant was selected as the “Joe Greene Great Performance Award” winner by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America, given annually to the team’s outstanding rookie.

“What kept me positive was my life,” said Bryant. “I have always gone through things and overcome it. I just figured it was another thing I had to overcome. I just stayed focused and continued to work. Once I got my chance I just made sure I wouldn’t give it back.”

Bryant, the Steelers fourth-round draft pick, has 25 receptions for 528 yards and seven touchdowns this season, playing in just nine games, with two starts. He has been a deep threat for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, with a touchdown reception of 80 yards and one for 94 yards.

Bryant’s best game was against the New York Jets when he had four receptions for 143 yards and the 80-yard touchdown. He had two games with multiple touchdowns, scoring twice against Indianapolis and Baltimore at Heinz Field.

“I am going to just go out and play hard for the team and give great effort," said Bryant. “If I do that great things will happen.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-52610ca94cd5[/URL]
    well earned.. CONGRATS
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, I think Bryant was the clear choice. Great year for the young WR. I will say though that Tuitt made a late run at it. The guy has been playing lights out recently.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Glad for Bryant who worked hard at camp as he was not and still is not a finished product. I recall he was labeled as a one trick pony and there was some validity there but he has shown to be someone who has a strong desire to get better and puts in the effort and we are fortunate to have him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree iron city. I think it was Herm Edwards who said "that's why you play the game"

I'm happy to see him prove the naysayers wrong. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and he is saying all the right things. He also has one of the best WR's in the game motivating him.

his numbers are insane and he is gar from a finished product. Once he cleans up his routes and gets into a rhythm with Ben the sky is the limit.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 12-28-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree iron city. I think it was Herm Edwards who said "that's why you play the game"

I'm happy to see him prove the naysayers wrong. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and he is saying all the right things. He also has one of the best WR's in the game motivating him.
    Eventually, its attitude. He has the right attitude, at least so far. He's humble, *wants* to succeed, and will do what it takes. That, with his physical talents, spell a winner. The other skills will come with time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    Eventually, its attitude. He has the right attitude, at least so far. He's humble, *wants* to succeed, and will do what it takes. That, with his physical talents, spell a winner. The other skills will come with time.
    Spot on... we have to see how he handles the off-season and make sure he doesn't let fame go to his head.

There is no way anyone else could get that rookie award. Our season was jump started the moment Bryant caught that TD vs the Texans.

I said I would be happy if he had a few RZ touchdowns... I had no idea he was headed for a 10 to 12 TD season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

his numbers are insane and he is gar from a finished product. Once he cleans up his routes and gets into a rhythm with Ben the sky is the limit.
    You mentioned AB and rightly so as AB's work habits are off the chart.

However I want to toss some kudos to veteran Lance Moore who took Bryant under his wing at camp and worked with him on comeback routes and hand placement getting off the jam. Saw this with my own eyes at Latrobe after practice was over and he had to know Bryant would likely be cutting into his playing time. "Team first" vets are always an asset.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good job Bryant !

Legend

User Info Menu

So what is the difference between what Bryant is saying and J Gordon in CLE? Both say they want to help the team win,.... be the best player they can be, etc etc. The words are nice and what you might expect. The actions tell the true story and speak 10X louder.