Thread: WTF Was the Deal With that 3rd/4th Down??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

WTF Was the Deal With that 3rd/4th Down??

With just over 2 minutes left in the game, we stopped them shy of a 1st down on 3th down. It was clear that they were shy by nearly a full yard. The TV graphic stated it was 4th and 1, but I heard the announcers say that they gave the 1st down to the Chiefs. The ball was snapped and we sacked Smith on what I thought was clearly 4th down. They go to commercial break without explanation and it's 2nd and 14. WTF?

How was that not challenged? How was it even called that way?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    With just over 2 minutes left in the game, we stopped them shy of a 1st down on 3th down. It was clear that they were shy by nearly a full yard. The TV graphic stated it was 4th and 1, but I heard the announcers say that they gave the 1st down to the Chiefs. The ball was snapped and we sacked Smith on what I thought was clearly 4th down. They go to commercial break without explanation and it's 2nd and 14. WTF?

How was that not challenged? How was it even called that way?
    I think it was just outside of 2 min and we had no challenges but I could be remembering that wrong. Either way he was clearly short, even the tv broadcast had them in 4th and 1, but apparently they where given a first down.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was confused too, because I also thought that it was quite clear that he was short.

I don't complain about reffing generally (and even now, I'm not complaining--i.e. we won . But there were many questionable calls today. I would be surprised to see that guy (the head ref's face) doing playoff games this year.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Today's grades:

Refs: F (on the level of some of those guys should be fired and never ref again in the NFL)
    CBS Telecast: F
    Announcers: D

Backup

User Info Menu

Thought I was the only one that was lost on this one (to credit, I was pretty tipsy at the time). Totally rattled my brain.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The head ref was in his first year as an nfl ref. if we had more veteran refs maybe some of these calls go different. But, hey, they may have been a bad thing. We won the game and that's all that matters tonight... Tomorrow we start preparing for cinci and taking the AFCN on Sunday night football in The Burgh!!!!!!