Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ILB isn't the right position for Shazier

Legend

User Info Menu

ILB isn't the right position for Shazier

The last play of the half they had Shazier come off the edge and left the RT grasping for dust, then chasing the QB down from behind. Honestly he may be the fastest LBr I have ever seen play the game. So, why would they stick him inside? Because of need? He played both ILB and OLB for the Buckeyes. I truly believe he could be a special OLB. Let him rush the QB. His strength is not sorting through trash. Give him one guy to beat where he can use that speed to disrupt.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I saw that also.

The problem I see with that speed is he'll be a huge liability in the RUNNING game when he gets upfield too far. Remember the DUNGY Colts Defense??

I think his best asset in the future will be covering TEs and specialty blitz packages.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that Shazier can, and will, be an effective blitzer coming off the edge from time to time. I also think that he'd be a horrible full time OLB. You can't just use a speed rush on every play, and leaving Shazier locked up with OTs on every play will neutralize his speed.

Legend

User Info Menu

move him around like Troy.

when we drafted him we had no idea if Spence would play another down let alone be effective. We also had little faith in VW and he looks like he isn't going to give Shazier the position without a fight.

Starter

User Info Menu

Your probably right. Whether or not it actually happens depends on what they decide to do with Worlids in the offseason. If JW isnt brought back we may very well see Shazier make the switch. It seems like the are really high on Spence, and Vince Williams impresses me everytime hes on the field. Shazier is going to play somewhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The last play of the half they had Shazier come off the edge and left the RT grasping for dust, then chasing the QB down from behind. Honestly he may be the fastest LBr I have ever seen play the game. So, why would they stick him inside? Because of need? He played both ILB and OLB for the Buckeyes. I truly believe he could be a special OLB. Let him rush the QB. His strength is not sorting through trash. Give him one guy to beat where he can use that speed to disrupt.
    Said the same thing recently - that I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him to OLB where his speed could be a bigger asset.. Not sure if they knew what they had in Spence at the time of the draft so they had to go ILB, but, Spence seems to be playing solid. The tandem of Spence and Vince is capable because they compliment one another's flaws.

Furthermore, it would make the upcoming offseason less stressful - let Worilds go see what his price is, knowing you've got Shazier in your back pocket. Against the cap, extending Spence (to cover ILB while Shaz moves over to OLB) would be cheaper than extending Worilds.

Would bump LB down in the list of needs, IMO
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Does he have to get bigger to take on OTs every play?

Not sure if that's going to be his strength. I'd be willing to give it a try a la Timmons. Shazier seems a lot quicker and athletic. Just wonder if he'd struggle and get swallowed up a lot by big OTs?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think he would get mauled on the outside

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I think he would get mauled on the outside
    yeah, me too. I don't see how Shazier would be able to seal and hold the edge, other teams would just ran straight at him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Put him at Right OLB because the 2013 #1 draft pick isn't doing much from that position. Maybe they can swap.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"