Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley deserves some credit

Legend

User Info Menu

Guest: Haley has utilized his big weapons amazingly well this year and his offense put up ANOTHER 40 point game. Is there anything he can do that will get fans to like him and more importantly save his job?

Ed Bouchette: I think he and his offense are playing well enough that he does not have to worry about his job.

GSK: Ed, today may be your first chat without a fire Haley comment...any chance another team takes a look at him for a head coaching position.

Ed Bouchette: There is always that chance. He was interviewed once after his first season as Steelers offensive coordinator for the head coaching job in Arizona.

Scott: I thought Haley denied being interviewed by Arizona after he joined the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: And Richard Nixon said "I am not a crook"

Scott in Dallas: How much are we seeing 8 in the box to counter Bell? Probably not too much with all the air power I bet.

Ed Bouchette: You got it. The balance they have long sought is here and it benefits both their running and passing games.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201412090197[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerogiesPlus View Post
    Simply put for 8 years this team won games by throwing early, throwing vertical early, and then running the ball in the second half.

Now? We do the exact opposite.
    the Steelers lead the NFL in points scored during the fourth quarter, averaging 10.4 points scored per fourth quarter this season. only the Ravens (9.2) and Saints (9.1) are even close...

Legend

User Info Menu

The best player on our offense isnt named Ben. Haley is doing a better job as the season goes on.......
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Haley is doing a better job as the season goes on.......
    the one thing I'd like to see Haley do more of is to design some plays that allow Ben to roll out and move around more and not just be a stationary pocket passer...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerogiesPlus View Post
    Always? No.

But I'm right, far more than I'm wrong.

Simply put for 8 years this team won games by throwing early, throwing vertical early, and then running the ball in the second half.

Now? We do the exact opposite.

But Todd Haley's BIGGEST issues are not using his talent correctly, not protecting his talent correctly, and trying to be cute.

If he just sticks with using said talent, instead of trying to show everyone how smart he is? This team would be 10-2 right now.
    I was convinced I'd disagree with this explanation... but, I can't.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the one thing I'd like to see Haley do more of is to design some plays that allow Ben to roll out and move around more and not just be a stationary pocket passer...
    There are 3-4 things I'd like to see.
    - More aggressive offense early in the game. It seems too often we let teams hang around that shouldn't because we start off very conservative.
    - Legit attempts to get Dri the ball in space instead of power runs. He's a fly weight. Any contact will make him fall. Heck, even Big Casey coulda farted on him and made him fall. I'd like to see sweeps or line him up at WR and let him catch that quick-hitting WR screen. An OC should be able to design a play to use that speed... SOMEHOW
    - Fewer screens up the middle to Heath. Opposite of Dri; he's too slow to get that pass. Even blocked guys are coming around the back to make tackles
    - This last one is just me being annoyed - tired of cute plays in the red zone. There have been fewer lately.

All in all, I'd probably grade him a B- on the season, which is a significant improvement over what I would have given him 6 weeks ago. He has taken an early D grade and peppered in a couple of A performances in recent weeks.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    - More aggressive offense early in the game. It seems too often we let teams hang around that shouldn't because we start off very conservative.
    - Legit attempts to get Dri the ball in space instead of power runs. He's a fly weight. Any contact will make him fall. Heck, even Big Casey coulda farted on him and made him fall. I'd like to see sweeps or line him up at WR and let him catch that quick-hitting WR screen. An OC should be able to design a play to use that speed... SOMEHOW
    - Fewer screens up the middle to Heath. Opposite of Dri; he's too slow to get that pass. Even blocked guys are coming around the back to make tackles
    - This last one is just me being annoyed - tired of cute plays in the red zone. There have been fewer lately.
    Agree with all of these. Also agree that Haley has been improving. Good to see.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is it that Haley is improving or the execution of the plays that is improving? I vote for the later.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

1000% agree. Ben is fantastic at throwing on the move, yet it seems we rarely design a play for him to do that. It seems it only happens when the pocket breaks down and Ben has to move.

Often times I see Flacco do a misdirection and roll out to the opposite side of where everyone else is moving and it gives him all kinds of time and the ability to survey the field well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    1000% agree. Ben is fantastic at throwing on the move, yet it seems we rarely design a play for him to do that. It seems it only happens when the pocket breaks down and Ben has to move.
    $$$$$$$$$
    I've never been able to understand why they don't have more designed rollouts for Ben. They seem to be such an obvious fit for his abilities.