Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You're the coach: Troy and Ike ... start'em against Matty Ice?

Legend

User Info Menu

You're the coach: Troy and Ike ... start'em against Matty Ice?

Will Ike's "injury" still keep him on the bench?

What about Troy?

As bad as they are now, are they still more reliable than the young'uns?

I have to say, I'm not sure of the answer, but I would lean towards having our HOF and almost HOF guys not start ...

I think it goes beyond stats, it's a decision that has to be made on intangibles. Tough coaching decision, IMO.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I start Troy but I keep him deep in a high safety position because he is useless running around like a chicken with his head cut off like LeBeau has him doing at times. Taylor never sees the field again this season if I'm in charge. Put Blake our there and take our chances.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with Ovi.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

If I were in charge Troy would play in spot duty... Ike wouldn't even dress.

Legend

User Info Menu

unfortunately, now is not the time to experiment.
    troys reputation alone may be an advantage
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Starter

User Info Menu

If I was in charge both Ike and Troy would be inactive. The defense was better with McCain and Will Allen out there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    If I was in charge both Ike and Troy would be inactive. The defense was better with McCain and Will Allen out there.
    yup... we gave up 1 or 2 big plays with McCain and Will Allen but overall the D was more disciplined without Ike and Troy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    unfortunately, now is not the time to experiment.
    troys reputation alone may be an advantage
    Troy's reputation now is not the reputation of 2-3 years ago. Opponents don't care about reputation because they have so much data and film that they see better than we fans do that Troy is a shadow of his former self. Troy's worst enemy is our coaches asking him to do what he did a couple of years ago. He can't anymore. He lacks the burst that once made him special and is a step late on most plays. Lebeau and Lake have to face reality and put Troy in position to be successful by limiting the running up to the LOS and dashing back at the last minute which just puts him out of position to do anything. Keep him deep and keep the plays in front of him needs to be the new standard for Troy.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Troy's reputation now is not the reputation of 2-3 years ago. Opponents don't care about reputation because they have so much data and film that they see better than we fans do that Troy is a shadow of his former self. Troy's worst enemy is our coaches asking him to do what he did a couple of years ago. He can't anymore. He lacks the burst that once made him special and is a step late on most plays. Lebeau and Lake have to face reality and put Troy in position to be successful by limiting the running up to the LOS and dashing back at the last minute which just puts him out of position to do anything. Keep him deep and keep the plays in front of him needs to be the new standard for Troy.
    His rep hasn't done a damn thing for us this year. Hopefully Ryan holds onto the ball looking for the long ball and Troy has enough time to get to him on a blitz. When Troy had that burst he would finish off plays.. this year he is always 2 steps too slow.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Let me start off by saying there should not be ANYONE on the Steelers 2015 defensive roster 30 or over except Gay. The 30+ issue isn't about getting a couple of games out of a guy who looks like his old self. It's about a guy putting it together for 16 games plus. It's about a guy that can play at a high level every play he is on the field without taking a play off. None of the 30+'s have shown it. They filled some holes because of injuries but Father time has snowballed them...Move on...But let's finish this one on top for them!

Now...Taylor's benching <cough>...I mean injury is the end of the line. Unless it happened early in the Saints game...He should not see the field as a starter. Taylor was "respectfully" benched. Start Gay & McCain...Blake Nickel. To be completely honest...If BW Webb understands the D give Ike's helmet to Webb. Insert Webb into KR & give him a look there too.

Troy is a liability any deeper than a LB drop. Add his extension to the "questionable" contract list with Mitchell & Allen. He will have to take a 4 mil plus paycut to stick around after this year. I think he will may it easy & retire...Leaving the Steelers with a 4.5 mil souvenir. They should have went the same route they did with Taylor. Anyway, If they can't find a way to play Troy as a LB in nickel then he can't be left playing single high or even 2 deep. His instincts are sharp but he doesn't have the range to recover from false steps. I just hope they have something in Shark because W Allen isn't much better than Troy...But he is better at this point.

Why on the 30+ subject I will say this. Kiesel played a position where the age factor shows up a lot later. He filled in nicely even though he declined. However...The muscle tears are usually the start of the downhill momentum for guys in the trenches. It is the end of the line for him...He will also be missed. That being said...Getting Tuitt forced into the line-up isn't a bad thing. You will see the rewards of it WHEN the Steelers make the playoff run. 4 games to settle in just might be enough for him.

Also...Moats should start & be spelled by JJ. JJ isn't going to be 100% in pass rush maybe at all this year. It doesn't look like he could hinge his wrist yet & you could see he was limited. JH...When he returns...Should help in rotation. Moats could spell Worilds at LOLB if needed & insert JJ or JH.

I won't make any friends with this statement but that never stops me. One thing is evident...This defense is much faster without Taylor, Troy, JH, & Kiesel. That's not a knock on any of them...It is just a fact. Windows close faster all over the field even when a young player gets out of position. As the competition elevates into the playoffs..The Steelers will need that. You plug the young guys & hope they could tighten it up over the next 3 games...And I believe they are capable. Taylor, JH, & Troy can find a role down the stretch but if the Steelers have to lean on them every game...They will be sent home. JH & Troy have a big game or 2 left in them..But it's a marathon. If the Steelers want to last until the end...It's on the young guys!