Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So is everyone looking forward to Ike and Troy's return for our end-of-season run?

Legend

User Info Menu

So is everyone looking forward to Ike and Troy's return for our end-of-season run?

I'm not sure I am ...

I'm worried that after turning on the afterburners in his "new" defense (Gay, McCain and others) this past month or so, DL will fall back into his comfort zone when his big dogs return. I just know that more often than not recently when Troy and Ike were on the field, "comfortable" wasn't the word to describe what I felt when the clock hit 0:00. Ike: so dang many "1st down at the spot of the penalty" fouls because he was burned so badly. Troy: so many WFT decisions on the field that put him way out of position, missing tackles, etc.

Maybe part of what makes our secondary look OK recently is the increased performance and pressure of the guys up front, and we'll continue to do OK in the secondary. Either way, I sure hope we don't lose momentum in these last 5 games ... like someone else said in another post, we have zero margin for error, pretty much on every play!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am

I.think they will solidify the back end

Starter

User Info Menu

I know I sure am. I think Troy and Ike will play their best during the stretch run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

getting those guys back will be huge, especially with a certain comfort level in the reserve guys rotating in now

Legend

User Info Menu

Are Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor better players than Will Allen and Brice McCain or Antwan Blake? Yes. Yes, they are.

Sure, they are old, but still better than retread backup types, just like Old James Harrison and Old Brett Keisel are better than Arthur Moats and Cam Thomas.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know that I am. When was the last time that Troy made a significant impact in a game? It's probably a positive to have more healthy guys in the rotation but I don't necessarily think that having Troy and Ike back is going to make us better skills set wise.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Troy had a pretty great year last season....he doesnt make the same impact he used to, but he definitely boosts the defense

I think we will welcome Ike back for the showdown twice vs AJ Green. Green has always struggled against Ike

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think the current group we have on defense is capable of allowing this team to go deep into the playoffs. If we do make such a run, I'm of the belief that it will be in part due to the return of these guys. Their talent level, and especially in the case of Troy and Ike, their playoff experience, will help us solidify our problematic defense. If that doesn't happen, I don't think we can go too far.

Legend

User Info Menu

we weren't a shut down defense when Ike and Troy were healthy this year...

I say stick with the youth and sprinkle these guys in but I know Troy is starting regardless.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I don't think the current group we have on defense is capable of allowing this team to go deep into the playoffs. If we do make such a run, I'm of the belief that it will be in part due to the return of these guys. Their talent level, and especially in the case of Troy and Ike, their playoff experience, will help us solidify our problematic defense. If that doesn't happen, I don't think we can go too far.
    Ike was set on fire in his last playoff game.