Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey: Blount's Release "blessing in disguise"

Legend

User Info Menu

Pouncey: Blount's Release "blessing in disguise"

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000430790/article/pouncey-legarrette-blounts-release-a-blessing[/URL]

Pouncey: LeGarrette Blount's release a 'blessing'

There's a good chance we might hear more tales of LeGarrette Blount's insubordination in the coming weeks.

The former Steelers running back, who was released following a moment Monday when he reportedly walked off the field before the game was over, didn't make many friends during his brief tenure in Pittsburgh.

Team captain Maurkice Pouncey called the decision "a blessing in disguise" on Tuesday.

"You know what, man, we have a good team," Pouncey said, via The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "If you don't want to be here, don't be here. At the end of the day, you have your decision to make as a man, and he made it."

The biggest concern for Pittsburgh might have been Blount's relationship with star second-year back Le'Veon Bell. The Post-Gazette reported that some were concerned Blount was corrupting the promising feature back.

Now, though, they will work to find someone to supplement Blount in that backup role. Someone whom they know will remain on the field for all four quarters.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh...ount-s-release

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who cares pouncey is overrated and a thug.

God I wish we still had velasco

Starter

User Info Menu

I read some of the quotes from various players today. I LOVED what I read. Pouncey has always been touted as an incredible leader on the offense by others in the locker room but we've never really been able to see it publicly. This solidifies it for me. He also said this:

We have our starting running back. It's probably a good thing that it happened. At the end of the day, if it was a cancer, he ended up leaving on his own. That's a blessing for us. At the end of the day, we're good. We don't need him
    The same goes for Heyward on Defense. Here's what he said:

We're grown men and we need to act like grown men," defensive end Cam Heyward said. "If you're not on the field, that shouldn't be a problem. If you're not on the field, you have to make other contributions. We're a team. If you don't want to be a part of the team, don't be a part of the team. We're trying to win, and that's not going to be acceptable."
    Both Ben and AB also had quotes to the same effect.

On the field, losing Blount my come back to hurt the team, but cutting him was CLEARLY the right move inside the locker room. This reaction shows that we have strong team leadership on offense and defense and a coach who has the backing of the players on this team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I read some of the quotes from various players today. I LOVED what I read. Pouncey has always been touted as an incredible leader on the offense by others in the locker room but we've never really been able to see it publicly. This solidifies it for me. He also said this:

The same goes for Heyward on Defense. Here's what he said:

Both Ben and AB also had quotes to the same effect.

On the field, losing Blount my come back to hurt the team, but cutting him was CLEARLY the right move inside the locker room. This reaction shows that we have strong team leadership on offense and defense and a coach who has the backing of the players on this team.
    we did a great job keeping this in house. I wanted to hear what the players had to say when this was first reported but I guess that would have broke the code.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd like to hear what Bells thoughts are upon this. Assuming these two guys were/are close as friends, teammates this is a huge slap to Bell. If I see my teammate having a crushing day, I would be cheering him on. Blount made it about himself and obviously, not a good thing. I'm curious if Blount will remain out of the NFL ? Will other teams want to roll the dice with him ?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Blounts days are numbered. Maybe one more chance, but probably not this year.

Hes had 2 absolutely tremendous opportunities to be a part of the top 2 organizations in todays NFL with the Patriots and Steelers and he blew it. I just dont get how you can throw away that kind of money he was making. The guy has been a career backup and he came here, at backup pay, to back up leveon bell....but he gets mad they give bell the carries when bell is running harder than he EVER ran before. he was hitting the hole with authority, perfect balance of his disgusting footwork, his patience, and his power.

Some guys just dont have it to stick around in a good situation. He would get carries, split time, be the go to guy if bell got hurt but still get to make thousands of dollars per week playing a childs game

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Redman chiming in:

@ired33: Some guys just don't understand what it means to wear the black and gold. Smh

Backup

User Info Menu

While it's not a bad thing to have a guy who wants to be on the field, I have no idea how Blount could look out there at what Bell was doing and think he should be in the game instead.

Legend

User Info Menu

While I agree that Blount had to go for his behavior and we may be better from a morale standpoint, the fact is we are a weaker team from a football standpoint on what we can put on the field. Our current back-up RB situation is fraught with risk and potential disaster that could cost this team wins and a play off berth. I hope the front office can find a vet to bring in.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    While I agree that Blount had to go for his behavior and we may be better from a morale standpoint, the fact is we are a weaker team from a football standpoint on what we can put on the field. Our current back-up RB situation is fraught with risk and potential disaster that could cost this team wins and a play off berth. I hope the front office can find a vet to bring in.
    Nah, they just need to go with the young player instead of an old vet...young players can only get better by playing in real games where the live bullets are flying...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.