Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorting it all out

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sorting it all out

- We are 7-4. Could easily be 9-2. Or, 4-7. They say you are what your record says you are: We played some good team very well, and some bad team pathetically. Tomlin's horrid record vs. sub-.200 teams is factoring into our season, no doubt. Losing to the Bucs and Jets is mind blowing. Having to practically to kill ourselves to beat Jags and Titans is also revealing.

- If one of your units is weak, you can still win by having your other unit play lights out and your weaker unit to just do enough. That is what we saw last night. Even though the offense struggled in the first half, it did become a beast down the stretch with Bell's excellent rushing the ball. Last night, once the O came to life, the weak D did just enough to save the game, by forcing some 3 and outs, something it had real trouble doing all night long; but when we needed it most, the D did just enough to secure the win.

- We have a weak D. We have lots of injuries, but as someone noted, we seemed just as weak when we had all the starters healthy. I am not sure Troy isn't a liability at this point (regardless of what LaBueue drones on about him). Jarvis Jones hasn't proven anything yet. I think Gay is better than Ike at this point. McClenden might be better at who is at NT now. But it's not very clear cut. But all that being said, the rules and ref calls are such that almost all Dees are rendered weak this season. There are a few Dees better than others (such as AZ, St. L and Detroit) but for the most part, the current environment causes most teams to need to score 30+ or risk losing. We ARE a soft D at times, to be sure. But some of that is caused by a now-out-of-touch/too old DC. Some of the plays called were seemingly retarded. That pass coverage to end the first half was mind-blowingly stupid.

- What is with this O line, giving up 3-4 consecutive sacks multiple times this year? What is going on with that. They look relatively decent much of the game, but then fall into these streaks of consecutive sacks. I don't get it. But we will lose Ben pretty soon if it keeps happening.

- Reality is, we are not a contender. It would be nice to sniff the play offs, but regardless, we have far too many holes to truly contend for a ring. We have some very nice pieces in place, like an all pro QB, one of the very best WRs in the NFL in Brown, a top 5 back in Bell, an aging but still productive TE in Miller, a few solid OLmen in Pouncey and DD. But, we have many subpar players after that. We should probably count our lucky stars to be at 7-4 all things considered.

- We are below average in coaching. Do you think we'd be a better team with a current day Lynn Swann and Bradshaw on the team? Why not? Because as time passes we can't do what we used to do. That is the case with LuBaea at this point. It's time to smell the roses. And Tomlin? He is a flash in the pan. His flash is over. He simply is not a competent coach at this point. He never was a proficient X's and O's guy to begin with. And now we hear of Blount's antics this season, to the point where other players were wondering how Tomlin could let it fester as it was. Where is the leadership? Does Tomlin have any or he is just good at being their buddy? Like a parent, a coach can't always be liked if he wants to do the job. Is it your job to be your kid's buddy or be his dad? He already has other buddies so you better be his dad. I don't know if Tomlin gets that.

- The Titans are not a good team, but they had us on the run for much of the night. This tells me we will be losing to so-so teams as the season deepens, how many, I don't know. This team is impossible to predict. But I know one thing: The coaching isn't helping the situation, on many levels.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you were an opposing team/coach after watching our past games, how would you attack the Steelers ?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If you were an opposing team/coach after watching our past games, how would you attack the Steelers ?
    For one thing, just send crazy pressure at times. And not just QB blitzes but run blitzes as well. They MAY hurt you with Bell at times, but that mode definitely had our O having trouble scoring for much of the game. For a long while, our O only accounted for 6 points. If Ben has time, or even just has to elude one guy who gets to him, he is gonna burn you, with Brown, Miller or Bell getting open. When they sent the kitchen sink, we had real struggles. Of course, the Steelers can counter with max protect and throwing quick passes, which they did a few times last night, but no plan is perfect.

On offense, I would run those zone stretch runs, where the back can take it outside, or cut on a dime and jet up the middle if a hole develops. I have seen Pgh just gouged with that. Our OLBs are falling down in rush defense, our DL struggles, although our best DL is still Keisel; he made some plays last night. And, of course, throw the ball all over the lot. A rookie QB, who was not highly regarded, looked like Marino in 1986, especially on those medium cross routes. They were killing us.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Blitz on D, max protect and pick apart the secondary on O.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lol that sub .200 stat is your favorite stat of all time...you just cant get enough of it.

Every QB that plays against the steelers do not just look like marino or montana....i dont know where this has come from. A little success does not equal hall of fame performances

The roster has some holes but so do the colts, without luck they are a roster that may very well contend for the first overall pick. It wasnt an accident that they went from 1st overall to a playoff team in lucks rookie year.

If the steelers make the playoffs they will contend....if they win the division they would welcome a first matchup vs the chiefs or dolphins at home, not bad at all. They may beat the patriots in foxboro 1 out of 15 times but how glorious would that be? Just because this team isnt the unquestioned best doesnt mean it wont contend, they have to take care of business the rest of the year but theres a reason they have the playoffs and dont just award the trophy to the best regular season team

Legend

User Info Menu

Some fans just don't want the Steelers to succeed because it will entrench Tomlin as the coach and in all likelihood get him an extension, which I believe he will get regardless, but a winning season and playoff win or two would only make it more certain and many fans would absolutely hate for that to happen.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Some fans just don't want the Steelers to succeed because it will entrench Tomlin as the coach and in all likelihood get him an extension, which I believe he will get regardless, but a winning season and playoff win or two would only make it more certain and many fans would absolutely hate for that to happen.

Pappy
    unfortunately you are correct.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    very sad but unfortunately also very true...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Well, everything else aside (SB appearances, SB win, never having a losing season, etc), he is 1-8 vs. teams with a .200 or worse win percentage...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    very sad but unfortunately also very true...
    but these fans aren't Lemmings... they use their brain and realize that anyone can do what Tomlin is doing. Hell, Tomlin isn't even doing anything besides standing on the sideline swinging his headset.