Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: What was LeBeau thinking?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I don't think many here would argue that LeBeau is a brilliant defensive mind. I think some of us would question his play call in situational ball. When a team has to go 80 yards in 50 seconds...you don't get them the sidelines or over the top. You give them 5-10 yards in the middle of the field at worst. Cover 2 man..gives you double coverage over the top. DBs who are shading themselves to the outside of the WR will help eliminate the sideline balls. This is a basic situational defensive call. I do believe Mitchell was supposed to be playing centerfield...I believe it was a cover 1 man. If you are going to play cover 1 in this situation you better have an elite center fielder...which we don't have. And you certainly can't have him creeping into the box.
    The problem is we don't know what was called. Those that want Lebeau gone assume he called a cover 0 defense with 40 seconds and 80 yards to navigate. Those that are happy to have Lebeau on the sideline assume the players lined up incorrectly and there was confusion by the players. The truth will never be known even if lebeau admitted he called the defense or the players admitted they lined up incorrectly, it could be one trying to cover for the other the way a team would do for their coach or players.

Each side of the argument will see it their way and attempt to make it truth.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I meant that as I don't think many would argue that he ISNT a brilliant defensive mind. There are many brilliant men who have done great things in the sport of football that lose their touch...lose their ability to produce for a number of different reasons. But, I don't believe there to be a sane football fan that would argue that LeBeau isn't bright.
    I have never doubted his brilliance and intelligence. I have doubted his willingness to change, especially radical change. IMO he is determined to prove his way works regardless of the talent he actually has. Not an uncommon trait for older successful professionals whose fame and reputation is based on a specific body of knowledge.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I meant that as I don't think many would argue that he ISNT a brilliant defensive mind. There are many brilliant men who have done great things in the sport of football that lose their touch...lose their ability to produce for a number of different reasons. But, I don't believe there to be a sane football fan that would argue that LeBeau isn't bright.
    And yet there are still some posters on here who seemingly believe that they know more about how to play defense than him, which is certifiably insane.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The problem is we don't know what was called. Those that want Lebeau gone assume he called a cover 0 defense with 40 seconds and 80 yards to navigate. Those that are happy to have Lebeau on the sideline assume the players lined up incorrectly and there was confusion by the players. The truth will never be known even if lebeau admitted he called the defense or the players admitted they lined up incorrectly, it could be one trying to cover for the other the way a team would do for their coach or players.

Each side of the argument will see it their way and attempt to make it truth.

Pappy
    Those assumptions are made because these are not pee wee ballers. If LeBeau had called a cover 2...and both safeties crept up and forgot their deep zone responsibilities, then I would be shocked. But, no one was playing the deep zone...not to either side. So, either it was a cover 1 or a cover 0...both of which are not the brightest of calls in this situation.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    And yet there are still some posters on here who seemingly believe that they know more about how to play defense than him, which is certifiably insane.
    I doubt anyone here including the trolls believes they know more about defense than LeBeau. But, in retrospect it makes it easy to call a play into question after the results of such a call have been revealed. I don't think any D coordinator would say it's a great move to call a cover 0 or a cover 1 with a long field and 50 seconds. If you ask LeBeau, I would bet he would say the same thing. So, I'm not sure if the man had a brain fart...or if two safeties decided to forget their deep zone responsibilities. What I do know is that it doesn't take a physician to know when someone has had a finger amputated and they should have stayed away from the power saw.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I doubt anyone here including the trolls believes they know more about defense than LeBeau. But, in retrospect it makes it easy to call a play into question after the results of such a call have been revealed. I don't think any D coordinator would say it's a great move to call a cover 0 or a cover 1 with a long field and 50 seconds. If you ask LeBeau, I would bet he would say the same thing. So, I'm not sure if the man had a brain fart...or if two safeties decided to forget their deep zone responsibilities. What I do know is that it doesn't take a physician to know when someone has had a finger amputated and they should have stayed away from the power saw.
    I'm assuming that Will Allen thought Mike Mitchell was supposed to be deep and Mike Mitchell thought Will Allen was supposed to be deep. Has to have been some sort of miscommunication, I would think.

And that is FACT!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm assuming that Will Allen thought Mike Mitchell was supposed to be deep and Mike Mitchell thought Will Allen was supposed to be deep. Has to have been some sort of miscommunication, I would think.

And that is FACT!
    You may be correct...which would mean LeBeau called a cover one man. That is certainly better than a cover 0...but unless you either have a shut down DB (which we don't have) and/or and unreal FS (which we don't have) then it's not a great call in this particular situation. You have DBs not known for their coverage skills (our best being the guy we cut a few years back) and suspect safeties. Combine that with that situation and it's easy to say we need double team coverage over the top...the DB and the safety. It's why it was a head scratcher. So, it's very possible that both the players AND Coach L got this one wrong and it was a perfect storm. Or it's just possible that the coach called a bad play. But, I don't see anyway to relieve Lebeau of responsibility unless you believe 2 safeties both forgot deep coverage.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And that is FACT!
    I would say your are correct. I think Allen and Mitchell were trying to "fool" the QB by were they were lined up. But that back fired. Another thing I figure is NO WAY Gay jumps the curl if he does not think he has over the top help if he missed the INT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I would say your are correct. I think Allen and Mitchell were trying to "fool" the QB by were they were lined up. But that back fired. Another thing I figure is NO WAY Gay jumps the curl if he does not think he has over the top help if he missed the INT.

No matter how many times you tell yourself not to jump a route the body naturally reacts when a player does a great job selling a fake.

I'll never forget screwing up during a baseball game when I played catcher. Man on 3rd and 1st and 2 outs. Coach told me the guy on first would steal 2nd and told me to throw it to the short stop because the man on 3rd would steal home when he saw the ball leave my hand. When that guy went to steal second do you think I threw it to the SS? Nope...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    No matter how many times you tell yourself not to jump a route the body naturally reacts when a player does a great job selling a fake.

I'll never forget screwing up during a baseball game when I played catcher. Man on 3rd and 1st and 2 outs. Coach told me the guy on first would steal 2nd and told me to throw it to the short stop because the man on 3rd would steal home when he saw the ball leave my hand. When that guy went to steal second do you think I threw it to the SS? Nope...
    I never had that problem. I follow directions very well and was never a player to try to play out of my zone just do what I was asked to do. I did that same play you are talking about many times as a kid as I also played catcher from farm league to pony league. Then moved to First base because of need. Then RF/DH depending. But I bet you had a better arm then me is why you would take the gamble. I am NO gambler at all. Anyway I see your point on Gay who has been playing aggressive it seems. I would just expect the 20yd DL cushion in that situation.
    Last edited by SS Laser; 11-20-2014 at 07:26 PM.