Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Did we pick Archer before D. Thomas

Legend

User Info Menu

On that video, check out a few thing...around second 11...gets put on his backside. Several more seconds in gets washed out on a play. About a minute in he bumps the receiver but then just lets him run wide open...should have been a big gain...may have thought he had help over the top or maybe he had the shallow zone. He misses a tackle at 1:42. 1:50 lets his receiver run free into the end zone. 3:20 another missed tackle. Washed out and on his backside again at the 4:48 mark. 5:07 shoots the gap nicely but misses the tackle. Really watch him miss at the 5:13 mark...terrible.

This was not a good game for Shazier. He struggled most of the game. I counted three good plays. Most of the tackles, he lacked attacking the ball carrier but rather allowed the carrier to come to him and giving up extra yards. Despite his speed lacked explosiveness that game...showed how easily washed out he is in traffic.

He had some BIG games for the Buckeyes...and flashes greatness at times. But, he is a work in progress...more raw than any first rounder the Steelers have selected in years. That's why I made the Raiders comparison.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I never said he's the most consistent, I've seen all of that game and dozens of others. I just really like what he brings to the table, he hasn't had that coming out game like he did in his debut against the bills but I do believe it's coming. Just need to not be getting rolled up on

As I'm sure you know the buckeye defense was truly terrible last season.

Fwiw coverage for a linebacker is rarely a refined skill coming out of school. Willis was a coverage liability for a while and now it's one of his strongest skills
    Last edited by K Train; 11-27-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I want to show you video of Mosley. [url]http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cj-mosley-vs-ole-miss-2013/[/url]

Notice a few things about Mosley. He never lets a blocker get into his body. When he is blocked, he holds his position...keeping them at arms length then sheds them to make a tackle. Notice also how disciplined he is in coverage. He watches a QBs eyes and reacts accordingly. It's how he got that bat down towards the end of the game. Look at how he takes it to a ball carrier when he finds the gap and punishes. He doesn't make the tackle 5 yards down field and get drug for another 2. He is physical, tackles with authority. Also notice how much Bama used him in coverage. The guy is terrific in coverage. Watch at the 7 minute mark the safety. So nice.

Mosley is a beast, NFL ready from day 1 and superior to Shazier in all aspects of the game with the exception of blitz ability. I believe Shazier to be a guy who could be truly special rushing the passer. In all the other aspects of the game Shazier has much catching up to do.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I never said he's the most consistent, I've seen all of that game and dozens of others. I just really like what he brings to the table, he hasn't had that coming out game like he did in his debut against the bills but I do believe it's coming. Just need to not be getting rolled up on
    I believe that day is coming as well. I can see a 12 tackle, 2 sack game coming his way within his next 10 starts. But, that lack of consistency which has plagued him is what bothers me. He is the Willie Parker of the D, and Mosley is the Jerome Bettis. I prefer a physical, well rounded, disciplined ILB...rather than a fly by the pants, inconsistent home run hitter of a player.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've seen almost all of Mosley, I'd say even more of Mosley than shazier. He tied up with blockers less than 50% of the time but he had a far superior defense around him and in front of him.

It's tough evaluating Bama defenders because ALL of them look like stars all of the time. Mosley looked like Keith rivers to me when he was at USC, who was another guy I had trouble putting a finger on.

The reason I still like shazier is 1) because I'm not a fool that give up on a player half way throug his rookie year and 2) because Mosley would essentially be Lawrence Timmons for us but smaller and not as good as a blitzer, shazier offers something extra. I don't really think Mosley (or any mlb) makes a dramatic impact to this defense this year, it's easily the least valuable position on the defense until the rest of the defense is addressed both up front and on the backend. The only reason I'm ok we the shazier pick (usually hate mlbs in round 1) is because of what a special athlete he is along with my complete disdain for darqueze dennard....I do think he will be among the best linebackers in the league, but I also don't just expect him to dominate as a rookie (and I don't really consider racking up tackles dominating, tackling is his main job and Mosley has not been very impactful otherwise in games). It was very easy to be excited after that preseason debut thgh, looked like an early favorite for rookie of the year

It is easy to say this now though since Vince Williams who was the worst player we had last year next t hood has played well and spence was able to make a full recovery....even though he hasn't been very good

Mosley isn't even the best rookie MLB this year, it's 3 rd round pick Chris Borland...watch him tonight, the guy has been good enough to be insanely impactful filling in for bowman and now Willis...just goes to show you that you shouldn't really draft MLBs high

For what it's worth I wanted Barr or one of the WRs in the draft, I am a big fan of shazier though
    Last edited by K Train; 11-27-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I will disagree with most of that. First, no one is giving up on Shazier. Like I said, I think he eventually becomes a great player for us. I don't know if he will ever be as fundamentally sound as Mosley, but I do think he could be that guy who creates havoc, that DCs have to plan for...but that day isn't today. Also, there is no reason to believe that Mosley (one of the top tackling machines in the league) wouldn't be productive for the Steelers. Honestly, he may have been a difference maker for this D this season.

Also, I don't believe it's at all difficult to assess Bama talent. I look less at a LBr shooting through a huge gap, or making an uncontested tackle/sack. I watch for disciplined and physical play. I watch technique. I watch for ability to shed...diagnose plays...cover. It's what stood out on tape when I assessed Patrick Willis before the 2007 draft. Mosley isn't as physical as Willis, but he has the ability to be equally productive. I don't think anyone would say Willis is playing a position without importance.

Borland is a good ILB. But, he isn't Mosley. In the same amount of games Mosley has 99 tackles, Borland has 71...not sure where you get that he is better. I would love for you to point me to some film of Borland so I can assess not only his ability to tackle but his coverage abilities.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    In the same amount of games Mosley has 99 tackles, Borland has 71...not sure where you get that he is better.
    not true, Chris Borland has only started 8 games while Mosely has started all 11.

Legend

User Info Menu

This says he played in 11

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/27605/career/[/url]
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Even the yahoo link game log says 8 games

Rookie

User Info Menu

Borland played in 11 but has only started 5...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.