Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: McLendon

Rookie

User Info Menu

Weren't the Steelers like, #6 in rush D last season? With Thomas and McClendon?
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    With Cam Thomas, his suckiness shows up when you watch the games. McClendon, not so much.
    I agree that Thomas is pretty much below average, but he's at best used as a rotational player. McLendon is a starter. I'm just not seeing it. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm completely underwhelmed. And his inclusion in the starting line-up coincides with pretty much the decline in play of the run defense, and effectiveness in pass pressure from our LB's. Is it him? Don't know. But where there's fire there's....

Wait, I mean where here is smoke there is fire.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Were they? Did it feel like they were? Not up to speed on the 'stats', but what I've seen of late is a Defense that can't dominate in any aspect of the game.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

not good enough, FIRE LeBeau!

oh wait...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not trying to come across as a radical on McLendon- I just do not see any value in extending him beyond the current contract. You can get his level of play from....a bunch of guys. Al Woods could do what McLendon does.

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I'm not trying to come across as a radical on McLendon- I just do not see any value in extending him beyond the current contract. You can get his level of play from....a bunch of guys. Al Woods could do what McLendon does.
    I've never been a huge McLendon guy but he is a much better player than Al Woods. I'd love to see a dominant run plugger in the middle and I think McCullers could be that guy. That said, McLendon is not the liability that he is made out to be. Most of the Steelers problems with the run came out of the nickel when he was out of the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Most of the Steelers problems with the run came out of the nickel when he was out of the game.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I've never been a huge McLendon guy but he is a much better player than Al Woods. I'd love to see a dominant run plugger in the middle and I think McCullers could be that guy. That said, McLendon is not the liability that he is made out to be. Most of the Steelers problems with the run came out of the nickel when he was out of the game.
    This is where I start to come off sounding like I'm bashing McLendon. Thing is, he isn't a 'dominant run plugger'. He also isn't anything like the gap-shooting upfield penetrator that people want to believe he is- which as far as I can tell is his 'saving grace'- "Well, he's not great vs the run, but at least he gets upfield & pressure's the QB"- rubbish. Is he a 'bad' player? Not really. But he has no 1 area of his game where I can sit there & think "just as well McLendon is in the game". There is zero reason to extend him.

He does not command a second blocker, and on the occasion an opposition deigns it worthwhile putting one on him- he's pushed out of the pocket. There is no pocket collapse, he doesn't even anchor on a consistant basis.

I agree the Steelers have issues against the run on Nickel downs. If McLendon was the upfield penetrator he's made out to be- why isn't he in on those plays?

And I'll stand by it- I think Al Woods is a pretty good comparison. But he'd cost way less for '20 snaps a game'.

Light up the darkness.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    This is where I start to come off sounding like I'm bashing McLendon. Thing is, he isn't a 'dominant run plugger'. He also isn't anything like the gap-shooting upfield penetrator that people want to believe he is- which as far as I can tell is his 'saving grace'- "Well, he's not great vs the run, but at least he gets upfield & pressure's the QB"- rubbish. Is he a 'bad' player? Not really. But he has no 1 area of his game where I can sit there & think "just as well McLendon is in the game". There is zero reason to extend him.

He does not command a second blocker, and on the occasion an opposition deigns it worthwhile putting one on him- he's pushed out of the pocket. There is no pocket collapse, he doesn't even anchor on a consistant basis.

I agree the Steelers have issues against the run on Nickel downs. If McLendon was the upfield penetrator he's made out to be- why isn't he in on those plays?

And I'll stand by it- I think Al Woods is a pretty good comparison. But he'd cost way less for '20 snaps a game'.
    We get it. McClendon to you is like LeBeau to Oviedo. Or Jarvis Jones to Ovi. Or any undrafted free agent to Ovi.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Chadman,

McClendon was really playing well before he got injured in the middle section of the season and had a few poor games before turning it on down the stretch. However, when healthy he was a solid NT for our club. See the breakdown below...

[URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/09/steelers[/URL]

This guy is well worth an extension. It takes most players years in our scheme to learn proper leverage, ways to protect your feet, and how to steer and control blockers. Unless we found a superior talent (most likely a high round draft pick), it would be silly not to offer McClendon an extension with a moderate raise.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.