Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McLendon

Legend

User Info Menu

McClendon is one of those guys that you have to have on your team because you can't afford to pay Pro-Bowlers at every position. He fits the mold of Hoke, Keisel, Smith, Foote, good players who get an occasional Pro-Bowl that contribute at a high level for the team. As the play makers around him get better he will look better and better and be highly regarded by the fans in a similar light as the players mentioned above, IMO. He won't be the reason the defense fails, should it fail.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think we could see McLendon have more success if Butler actually plays a more aggressive defense and show more 4 man fronts as we heard when he got the job. McLendon was always more Chris Hoke than Hampton. McLendon seems to be more capable to shoot gaps versus just occupy blockers
    The Steelers did use McLendon as more of a penetrating NT. He wasn't trying to play the Casey Hampton role.

You've always hated that the DL "occupies blockers" but you need that, particularly with a smaller, faster guy like Shazier as a starting linebacker and Timmons, who is not a pure thumper. Who would you rather the defense feature - McLendon or the linebackers?

Legend

User Info Menu

Ovie's defense would be all about bum rushing the QB, and then watching the tailback on a draw play sprinting right past everyone on their way to the QB through a wide open unoccupied lane.

In long yardage nickel and dime passing situtations, sure...go ahead and pin your ears back and penetrate...but on early downs, it is okay for d-lineman to two-gap and for everyone to maintain their gap responsibility. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to just play sound structural defense. The coordinators who think that strong defense is all about being ultra-aggressive all the time end up blitz themselves out of the league in short order.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Ovie's defense would be all about bum rushing the QB, and then watching the tailback on a draw play sprinting right past everyone on their way to the QB through a wide open unoccupied lane.
    in a 4-man front
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

In long yardage nickel and dime passing situtations, sure...go ahead and pin your ears back and penetrate...but on early downs, it is okay for d-lineman to two-gap and for everyone to maintain their gap responsibility. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to just play sound structural defense. The coordinators who think that strong defense is all about being ultra-aggressive all the time end up blitz themselves out of the league in short order.
    Yes of course. That is exactly what I advocate. Rush 11 every play regardless of down and distance
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes of course. That is exactly what I advocate. Rush 11 every play regardless of down and distance
    Rush your precious front four at least...all one gap penetrators.

There is value to a two-gap scheme, it's not some outdated philosophy of a bygone era.

Whenever there is even a hint of a mention of anyone "occupying blockers" you turn into Kathy Bates from the Waterboy.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't see it.

I realise you can't have 11 Pro Bowlers starting on D, but.....for a NT in a 3-4, he's neither stout against the run, or as we want to believe- a pocket collapsing gap-shooter. He makes 'occasional' moves into the backfield, but with little consistancy, and he can't handle double-team blocks. One on one- sure, he's adequate. But he does not free up the LB's at all, and the down-turn in the success of our LB's over the last 3 years just happens to fall in line with McLendon's increased playing time.

You have 2 uber-athletic ILB's that are constantly getting caught up in the muck at the LOS. You pay those 2 guys to be playmakers. You drafted them in Round 1 to be playmakers. They are built to be fast, active heat seekers. And we see them tangled up with OG's & FB's constantly. If McLendon was forcing QB's to run out of the pocket- fair enough. But he doesn't. That's Heyward. McLendon's increased playing time also goes hand-in-hand with the decreasing dominance against the run. He simply does not dominate in the 1 DL position you ACTUALLY need some dominance from in a 3-4.

I don't see it. He's at best, a poor imitation of Chris Hoke. McCullers looks better at holding the line & drawing double-team blocks. The sooner he plays more, the better.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

He plays around 20 snaps a game, and he's the reason why the run D suffered?

He's a good role player and, as pointed out, grades out well when he's on the field. I have no problem with McClendon or the idea of him getting a contract extension. Casey Hampton would have four heart attacks per game if he played now...the Steelers drafted Heyward and Tuitt to be on the field for 3 downs...McClendon and 6th rounder McCullers can split time at NT.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He plays around 20 snaps a game, and he's the reason why the run D suffered?

He's a good role player and, as pointed out, grades out well when he's on the field. I have no problem with McClendon or the idea of him getting a contract extension. Casey Hampton would have four heart attacks per game if he played now...the Steelers drafted Heyward and Tuitt to be on the field for 3 downs...McClendon and 6th rounder McCullers can split time at NT.
    You can't put it all on him, no. But he didn't help it either. And what exactly IS the role of the NT in a 3-4 if not that?

We are all quick to run Cam Thomas out of town & he plays even less snaps. Is he the reason our run D suffered?

Or is it that we just don't have "the guy" needed to actually put our premium players in a position to flourish?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

With Cam Thomas, his suckiness shows up when you watch the games. McClendon, not so much.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.