Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin sounded pi$$#d

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

He should be a little pissy. Harblah saying they're comfortable playing at Heinz, is like a stranger walkin in, slappin' the ol' lady on the rear, and floppin' down in YOUR chair. Somebody needs a butt kickin'.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I actually think the Steelers have good talent on the D side of the ball as well...but they are young and haven't played together...also injured. JJ, Shazier, Heyward, Tuitt are all going to be special. Timmons gets no love here but is a very good LBr. Mitchell is above average. Gay is underrated. There are no doubt some holes on D...but there is talent.
    I think he pointed to talent on one side in the context of this weeks game, not the future.
    Young and haven't played together and injured does not help us now.

We had "going to be special" James Harrison for years before it meant anything to the teams success.

Gay is "underrated" in that if you look hard enough you CAN in fact find worse starting corners. He is in fact a serviceable option. He is by no measure a "good" starting corner by the leagues standard, just perhaps "our" best corner. This is more indicative of the sorry state of "our" corners than a compliment of his ability. No team has worse corners OR WORSE SECONDARY than we have.

Right now....today.....considering the raw or aging state of this defense, the current ability (won't say talent) of the Steeler defense that the Ravens face this week is bottom 10.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-30-2014 at 01:38 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Funny after one big win how the perspective changes.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

IF, this Steelers team plays to their potential, they ARE a better team than the Rats. They have physical talent on defense, they just have not been executing properly. I think personel has not always been used for the best outcome. Getting Cortez off the field, for now, is going to be an improvement. Hopefully Blake will win out as the nickle until Cortez gets his crap straight. I'd like to see McCullers get a helmet, and Vince Williams get more reps. Obviously, there is an incredible stock of whoop arse on the offensive side of the ball. If it all comes together at some point this season, it'll be fun to watch. I feel like the Colts game was a start to better things to come. If they start playing with confidence, some swagger, so to speak, look out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Funny after one big win how the perspective changes.
    Exactly.
    We give up 34 and somehow our defense is now working?
    THAT IS A SEASON HIGH points allowed PEOPLE.

If we scored say 17 and lost 34-17 there would be no talk about how much better the defense was because we blitzed more. Ridiculous.

Next time we lose 20-17 they'll be calling for DLs head again because they are deluded into thinking this defense is loaded.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-30-2014 at 02:03 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WVSteelerfan View Post
    IF, this Steelers team plays to their potential, they ARE a better team than the Rats. They have physical talent on defense, they just have not been executing properly. I think personel has not always been used for the best outcome. Getting Cortez off the field, for now, is going to be an improvement. Hopefully Blake will win out as the nickle until Cortez gets his crap straight. I'd like to see McCullers get a helmet, and Vince Williams get more reps. Obviously, there is an incredible stock of whoop arse on the offensive side of the ball. If it all comes together at some point this season, it'll be fun to watch. I feel like the Colts game was a start to better things to come. If they start playing with confidence, some swagger, so to speak, look out.
    Our hope is in a corner who was unable to stick as a backup joining our other starting corner who could not stick on another team two years ago.

Add to that a guy who LAST YEAR was nothing special IN COLLEGE as a NT. THAT IS OUR REASON FOR HOPE in the defense?

I don't disagree with those moves but it ain't like we just inserted a pro bowler. Of which BTW we will have ZERO on defense this year.

Player for player, where does our defense rank in CURRENT ability in our division?
    Do the same for offense.

Our only chance is that our offense is overwhelmingly good because defensively we are last.

THAT is the promise of the Colts game not that our defense has somehow arrived.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-30-2014 at 02:19 AM.

TCFCLTC-

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I was actually referring to the offense playing the way they did when I spoke of better things to come. The defense, no doubt, is subpar. I was merely saying I think there is a possibility of improving from what we've seen up to this point.

Indi has been one of the best offenses in the league up to this point. 34 points, is certainly excessive to say the least, but it wasn't the Jets scoring 34 on us either. Luck has been near 350 yds or better in 6 of 8. They put up 27 against the Bungles defense that everyone says is pretty good (also shut out the Dalton-Sanu Juggernaut).

The defense is getting better IMO. They aren't getting man handled like they did a earlier in the season.

Are the Steelers elite right now? Of course not. After losing to Tampa, barely beating Jville and then getting throttled by the Stains, it seemed the season might as well be over. Right now is looks somewhat better. Even if we did give up 34 to the Colts.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Exactly.

If we scored say 17 and lost 34-17 there would be no talk about how much better the defense was because we blitzed more. Ridiculous.

Next time we lose 20-17 they'll be calling for DLs head again because they are deluded into thinking this defense is loaded.
    There would be if the D scored on a pick 6 and a safety...and had another INT in the end zone besides that. We would be bemoaning the offense...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Our hope is in a corner who was unable to stick as a backup joining our other starting corner who could not stick on another team two years ago.

Add to that a guy who LAST YEAR was nothing special IN COLLEGE as a NT. THAT IS OUR REASON FOR HOPE in the defense?

I don't disagree with those moves but it ain't like we just inserted a pro bowler. Of which BTW we will have ZERO on defense this year.

Player for player, where does our defense rank in CURRENT ability in our division?
    Do the same for offense.

Our only chance is that our offense is overwhelmingly good because defensively we are last.

THAT is the promise of the Colts game not that our defense has somehow arrived.
    Well, i think the defense actually has improved somewhat. Maybe not in terms of points allowed but the Dolts game WAS a shootout...both QBs were gunning for the seats...in terms of intensity and pressure, they have definitely elevated their game.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly.

This defense still isn't working but it did get some positive results because for one game anyway it went past to its aggressive roots. We need to stay aggressive to make up for the marginal talent we have in some positions. If we don't we will continue to see the inconsistent results and giving up points to average QBs. If you are going to go down, go down hurting the opponents versus the passive play it safe crap we have seen at times this season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"