Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We can stop waiting for a 2008 type of D

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I noticed that in the Colts game we played a nice tight man to man coverage. That proves that we can do that and we saw the results. It will be interesting and telling to see whether they return to their typical loose 10 yard cushion style of play during the next "contest".

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 10.27.14

Guest: How would you rate the defense yesterday? They did give up some big plays.

Ed Bouchette: I heard some players say they thought their defense played "great.'' I'm not going there but they did score six on Willie Gay's pick, they came up with another 2 points on a safety, they averted six more with an interception in the end zone and they sacked Luck three times and pressure him all day. A decent day against the NFL's No. 1 offense, I would say.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/27/Ed-Bouchette-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-27-14/stories/201410270160[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
    I noticed that in the Colts game we played a nice tight man to man coverage. That proves that we can do that and we saw the results. It will be interesting and telling to see whether they return to their typical loose 10 yard cushion style of play during the next "contest".
    Why exactly are their quotes around the word "contest"? I could see someone putting quotes around " coverage" or "cushion" or something like that, but I struggle with the implication that our next game somehow wouldn't be a contest for some reason.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Uhh.... the rules were changed this offeason because of Seattles D.
    And that's why I said defenses are adapting to rule changes.

It's not like they weren't penalized last season by the way they played. They were the MOST penalized team in the NFL and still won the big game. They didn't give up splash plays like we do every game. Saying that our D is anything better than mediocre is false. Dick's defense doesn't give up big plays, and we give them up consistently against both good and bad teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
    Yes, we saw the results. Our defense gave up 34 points in only 20 minutes of possession for the Colts. I wonder what they would have scored if the offense didn't have such a great game?

I'm really confused by the logic of some of the posters. They've been crying for us to blitz, blitz, blitz. Just because we did that you think the defense played well.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think the defense played better because they at least forced some errors instead of only giving up points.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoshBroski View Post
    And that's why I said defenses are adapting to rule changes.

It's not like they weren't penalized last season by the way they played. They were the MOST penalized team in the NFL and still won the big game. They didn't give up splash plays like we do every game. Saying that our D is anything better than mediocre is false. Dick's defense doesn't give up big plays, and we give them up consistently against both good and bad teams.
    but it sounds like you are applying last years success to this years rule changes.

I don't think you can look to last year and say it's possible to do again when the D you used as proof is getting abused THIS year.

Seattle hasn't shown they have adapted IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Yes, we saw the results. Our defense gave up 34 points in only 20 minutes of possession for the Colts. I wonder what they would have scored if the offense didn't have such a great game?

I'm really confused by the logic of some of the posters. They've been crying for us to blitz, blitz, blitz. Just because we did that you think the defense played well.
    well, I don't think we played great but we played much better than we have been IMO.

This was Andrew Luck, not a Jax rookie or a journey man like most of the other QB's we've played. I don't think you can put up 51 points without giving up some yards and some points against an offense like that.

When the Pats hung 55 on us Ben had 400 yards, 4 TD's and we put up 31.

If our offense didn't have a great game DL would probably been more conservative.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoshBroski View Post
    Not trying to be a downer but our defense is bad. When our QB has to set not only franchise but NFL records and the other team is still in the game, there's huge problems. One of them was addressed when we benched Allen.

Seattle proved last year that an elite D will beat an elite O in the playoffs and having one is not impossible with these new rules. D's will just have to adapt.
    And since last year, they have made breathing on a WR too hard a penalty. This year is vastly differently than last. They obviously don't want dominating Ds in this league. The NFL was not happy seeing Manning shut down and have changed game rules/interpretations to address it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think the defense played better because they at least forced some errors instead of only giving up points.
    The D played the #1 offense in the NFL. And they forced some turnovers and hit the QB 7 times - both figured into the win.