Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many of You...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How Many of You...

believed that we had to recover that onside kick or we would lose the game?

I don't want to dim the lights on everyone's dance party, but the defense we saw last night still collapsed in crunch time yet again. I was convinced that if Houston were to recover the onside kick, we would likely lose in overtime. At the very least, I was certain we would give up a 2nd straight TD to tie the game.

They very well may have harassed Fitzpatrick on that last drive, or even picked him off. Based on the flow of that game, either of those outcomes were entirely possible. The far more likely outcome in my mind however, was what we saw on their last drive. Three minutes to go and the defense gets chewed for the first TD Houston needed in just over a minute with a full field at their backs. The drive before that saw the Texans' offense begin to press and that one even got deep into our territory on a big pass play until Mitchell saved our bacon and ripped the ball out.

Our defense continues to fold like tower of toilet paper when pressed by a no-huddle or up-tempo offense. It's disturbing and will likely cost us multiple games, if we can't fix this problem.

The two things I did see last night, which were a marked departure from our depressing defensive trends were the aforementioned turnovers and pass rush. We also made some nice adjustments against the run that have been absent all year...those back to back 3rd and 1 stops were impressive. So, the defense wasn't exactly unworthy of praise and I am in no way hating on their overall performance.

That said, I still smell the turd in the pool.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah. Good thing that didn't happen.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Fla, I texted to a Steeler friend that I refused to start sweating it, and that we had this and I wasn't going to worry a bit. But by the time the onside kick went down, I was sweating it, and then the ball rolled forever, and I ain't gonna lie, I was kind of freaking out. I do believe that if the Texans ended up with that ball, we probably lose. Thankfully, we didn't have to find out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yeah. Good thing that didn't happen.
    I'm just glad we didn't have to find out...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess they could have lost if it went to overtime, but it didnt. Thats the point of an onside kick, to give you a chance to win the game when you are otherwise out of it. They had to do 3 things...recover the onside, score a TD, then score another TD in OT to out right win the game.....they didnt recover the onside.

I guess the steelers could have lost if they didnt improve against the run, I guess if they didnt score 24 points in 3 minutes to close the half the game could have been different but the defense didnt collapse, they forced a late fumble on hopkins and then the offense was robbed of the TD.

Since were doing hypothetical questions, do you think youd be making this thread if Browns TD stood like it should have? Is the defense perfect? Far from it, but they didnt collapse, they played a pretty good game. Mccain had Andre on lock, Mitchell and Timmons were playing possessed, and the defense forced what? 3 turnovers? Yeah........much maligned unit indeed if thats not good enough for us

Legend

User Info Menu

No worries here, most likely scenario if they're 1st and goal on our 1 is Harrison pick 6 for a TD the other way.

Yeah, baby!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just seeing how they marched the opening kickoff from their five and scored and how our Steelers continue to get neutralized after each halftime, I thought for sure the Texans would have tied up the game.

Starter

User Info Menu

The Texans seemed bound and determined to lose that game. But I would have been pretty nervous if they recovered.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I guess they could have lost if it went to overtime, but it didnt. Thats the point of an onside kick, to give you a chance to win the game when you are otherwise out of it. They had to do 3 things...recover the onside, score a TD, then score another TD in OT to out right win the game.....they didnt recover the onside.

I guess the steelers could have lost if they didnt improve against the run, I guess if they didnt score 24 points in 3 minutes to close the half the game could have been different but the defense didnt collapse, they forced a late fumble on hopkins and then the offense was robbed of the TD.

Since were doing hypothetical questions, do you think youd be making this thread if Browns TD stood like it should have? Is the defense perfect? Far from it, but they didnt collapse, they played a pretty good game. Mccain had Andre on lock, Mitchell and Timmons were playing possessed, and the defense forced what? 3 turnovers? Yeah........much maligned unit indeed if thats not good enough for us
    I thought the D played good too, Texans were having a lot of trouble completing passes down the field, that is until Allen got back on the outside. We still struggled with the zone blocking scheme, im not sure why we cant figure it out. Overall I was pretty happy with their performance, 3 turnovers is a very good sign.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I thought the D played good too, Texans were having a lot of trouble completing passes down the field, that is until Allen got back on the outside. We still struggled with the zone blocking scheme, im not sure why we cant figure it out. Overall I was pretty happy with their performance, 3 turnovers is a very good sign.
    Should be able to stop the colts run game....were able to shut down the panthers, bucs, and jags run games....similar power schemes.

Its like a light came on for a few guys....timmons sack just sent them all into a frenzy. Gotta hit luck, they have a bad oline and hes a guy that will try to keep a play alive....if you cant sack him you need to punish him