Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As enjoyable as that was......

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As enjoyable as that was......

....and trust me, it was - euphoria from the win aside - the win was a fluke. Had we not had that furious fluke play perfect storm, we not only lose this game, but we lose it by a wide margin. The Texans were kicking our collective faces in before those fluke plays. They were gutting us running right up the middle of our D. On a 3rd and 6, they ran right up the middle for 20 yards. Pop-gum-armed Fitzpatrick had all night to throw and - even with his super weak arm - was dicing up our D. Foster was just anal raping us. You can't count on a stretch of 3 turnovers in 3 minutes, but that's what it takes this team to win vs. even average teams. Thus, we need to enjoy this now, because it won't be the norm. 90% of the time, we won't get these fluke plays, and that means we will lose most of the time to even average teams.

Enjoy this win. All indications are it won't be the norm. Our rushing D is just terrible...horrid. Pass D not much better. The deficiencies of this team still exist and will doom us. Although a fun game in the end, this will not be the norm; it is the exception. The core problems with this team remain. The D is weaker than a 92-year-old grandpa. Nothing last night changed that. The OL is still a joke.

I will enjoy this one for this week, but I fully know what to expect moving forward. Indy will probably smash us. But enjoy this one while we can.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah, it sounds like you're really enjoying the win.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Starter

User Info Menu

I really hate to agree with you, but I do. I said the same thing last night. I was happy about the win, but I didnt come away from the game thinking we answered any questions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post

I will enjoy this one for this week
    I missed that in the rest of your negative woe is us rant.
    How are you "enjoying" anything when all you focus on is the inevitable crash to come?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like you're really enjoying the win.
    I am, as much as one can while realizing the flaws of this team went no where and we can expect seeing our D getting punked most of season. I was as amped as anyone as bedlam took place, and we scored 21 points in the blink of an eye. But if you think we can count on those kinds of stretches moving forward, I got some great swamp land to sell you.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I missed that in the rest of your negative woe is us rant.
    How are you "enjoying" anything when all you focus on is the inevitable crash to come?
    I can't help but realizing reality. If you can't, you are living life as a lie. I was giddy last night, but that doesn't mean I have to turn off my brain afterwards. Do you think you have to live in a fantasy world to be happy? If you think, moving forward, we can rely on such a fluky stretch, well, OK then. Enjoy your fantasy.

Backup

User Info Menu

1st and 10 at HOU 35 (1:36) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to M.Bryant for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN. S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-B.Wing. 13 10
    - No fluke associated with a beautiful pass and catch to pull w/in 3

2nd and 9 at HOU 6 (1:14) (Shotgun) A.Foster up the middle to HST 4 for -2 yards (J.Worilds). The Replay Official challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) A.Foster up the middle to HST 3 for -3 yards (J.Worilds). FUMBLES (J.Worilds), RECOVERED by PIT-S.Spence at HST 3.
    - Foster fumbling was not a fluke. It wasn't like he juggled the ball. Worilds made a play at an opportune time.

1st and 3 at HOU 3 (1:10) #7 Roethlisberger tosses to #84 Brown. A.Brown pass short left to L.Moore for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-B.Wing. 13 17
    - Trick play? yes. Fluke? no. They caught the defense napping and took advantage of it.

1st and 10 at HOU 20 (1:03) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle intended for A.Foster INTERCEPTED by B.Keisel at HST 24. B.Keisel to HST 8 for 16 yards (B.Jones).
    - Might be the play you could call a "fluke" because of the bounce off Timmons' helmet. But, I remind you that Keisel initiated the interception by making a good football play (swatting the pass).

2nd and 2 at HOU 2 (:1 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short right to L.Bell for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN. S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-B.Wing. 13 24
    - Good football play.

I see one play out of that sequence that could possibly be considered a fluke. The rest were the result of players actually making plays. I do see your point in that it was a "perfect storm" type of scenario and one not to be counted on happening again soon. But, the plays themselves were not "flukes" just players playing good football. That part I hope continues; but given the schizophrenic nature of this team, who knows?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You can't take plays away, if that's the case the Tampa lose was a fluke. But with that said if they can win1 out of the next 2 I will believe.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    1st and 10 at HOU 35 (1:36) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass deep right to M.Bryant for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN. S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-B.Wing. 13 10
    - No fluke associated with a beautiful pass and catch to pull w/in 3

2nd and 9 at HOU 6 (1:14) (Shotgun) A.Foster up the middle to HST 4 for -2 yards (J.Worilds). The Replay Official challenged the runner was down by contact ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) A.Foster up the middle to HST 3 for -3 yards (J.Worilds). FUMBLES (J.Worilds), RECOVERED by PIT-S.Spence at HST 3.
    - Foster fumbling was not a fluke. It wasn't like he juggled the ball. Worilds made a play at an opportune time.

1st and 3 at HOU 3 (1:10) #7 Roethlisberger tosses to #84 Brown. A.Brown pass short left to L.Moore for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-B.Wing. 13 17
    - Trick play? yes. Fluke? no. They caught the defense napping and took advantage of it.

1st and 10 at HOU 20 (1:03) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle intended for A.Foster INTERCEPTED by B.Keisel at HST 24. B.Keisel to HST 8 for 16 yards (B.Jones).
    - Might be the play you could call a "fluke" because of the bounce off Timmons' helmet. But, I remind you that Keisel initiated the interception by making a good football play (swatting the pass).

2nd and 2 at HOU 2 (:1 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short right to L.Bell for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN. S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-G.Warren, Holder-B.Wing. 13 24
    - Good football play.

I see one play out of that sequence that could possibly be considered a fluke. The rest were the result of players actually making plays. I do see your point in that it was a "perfect storm" type of scenario and one not to be counted on happening again soon. But, the plays themselves were not "flukes" just players playing good football. That part I hope continues; but given the schizophrenic nature of this team, who knows?
    None of it was a fluke at all. But it sure is troubling that if you take away the last 3 minutes of quarter 2 the Steelers lose 23 to 6.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    None of it was a fluke at all. But it sure is troubling that if you take away the last 3 minutes of quarter 2 the Steelers lose 23 to 6.
    But you can't take that away. It happened and they won. To be honest, this team is a tease. Show a lil bit here, a lil bit there, but never come up with the whole shebang. If they can put together a consistent effort like we've seen in fits and spurts, they'd be a team to challenge the best the league has to offer. As it is, they are a team that is challenged by the worst the league has to offer. Until they change that, we won't see them "stacking" wins.