Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuitt to vs. Texans

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tuitt to vs. Texans

Just read it on BTSC. I think that shuts the door on McCullers taking the NT spot, for the short-term. I don't think they want to worry about a two-rookie DL. I don't think (Tuitt starting) will make a huge difference in the short-term... I hope I'm wrong. But, like most fans probably, I'm happy to see the change. At least get the kid's feet wet, and maybe this experience is a springboard to next season (and hopefully, even late this season). Hopefully, he can prove to be a stout guy.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Backup

User Info Menu

I can't see how McCullers isn't any better than Thomas at nose. Hell you can get a guy off the street better than Thomas.

Legend

User Info Menu

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/18/Tuitt-will-get-first-start-vs-Texans/stories/201410180087[/URL]

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    On Sept. 30, 2001, the Steelers played Buffalo at Ralph Wilson Stadium. In the their first game after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, they beat the Bills for the first of five consecutive victories en route to a 13-3 record and an AFC Central Division title.

That day more than 13 years ago also is noteworthy for another reason. It was the most recent time the Steelers started a rookie defensive end.

That long drought will end Monday night against the Houston Texans when second-round draft pick Stephon Tuitt makes his first NFL start.

Tuitt, a 6-foot-5, 303-pounder from Notre Dame, will get the nod because of an injury to nose tackle Steve McLendon. Starting defensive end Cam Thomas will move to nose tackle, and Tuitt will take Thomas’ place at defensive end.

“He has great raw material — tremendous size and tremendous athletic ability,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “He’s going to be a good player. You can write that down. You have to give all these young players a chance to grow. He’s making progress. He’s going to be seeing more action because of necessity, but he’s going to be a good player.”

Rodney Bailey, a sixth-round pick from Ohio State, is the answer to the trivia question. He started for the only time as a rookie against the Bills for an injured Kimo von Oelhoffen and registered his first career sack along with three tackles.

The Steelers have taken eight defensive ends in the draft since Bailey in 2001, including two in the first round, and they all had de facto redshirt years. Three became starters, but they did not achieve full-time starting status until their third season or later, a testament to the deliberate way the coaches develop their linemen.

Cam Heyward, a first-round pick in 2011, did not earn a starting job until his third season. Ziggy Hood, a first-round pick in 2009, started nine times in his second season because of injuries, but he did not become a full-time starter until 2011. Brett Keisel, a seventh-round pick in 2002, did not become a starter until his fourth season in 2006.

“It’s going to be fast for him,” said Heyward, who broke into the starting lineup in the fourth game of 2013. “It’s not going to be like practice. “There is going to be a higher level of intensity, and we need him to produce now. If you’re going to play the snaps you wanted, then you have to take advantage of this. We’re not going to scale down for him, so he has to be ready from the get-go.”

Tuitt had been eased into the defense in his first six NFL games. He played a season-high 18 snaps in a loss last week at Cleveland, but he is averaging 11 snaps per game. He figures to get 40 or 50 against the Houston Texans if all goes well.

“The way I’ll get over that is by practicing hard,” Tuitt said. “I need to work on running to the ball, increasing my cardio, just working on everyday things. It is my opportunity to show up. All I can do is prepare and be in the best shape possible.”

In addition to the increased workload there is the responsibility of knowing the playbook. The Steelers defense is famously difficult to learn for younger players, but they will not change their defensive play-calling because Tuitt is a rookie.

“I’m going to try to communicate as much as I can with him,” Heyward said. “Sometimes, as a rookie, you don’t know the calls as well so you play a little bit slower. I’ll be in his ear every play. On the sidelines I’m going to keep talking to him so he’s ready to keep going.

“If there is going to be a bad play, he has to be ready for the next one. I want him to be able to go full tilt.”

Tuitt isn’t the only rookie defensive lineman who will see playing time Monday night. Daniel McCullers, a 6-7, 352-pound nose tackle taken in the sixth round from Tennessee, will dress for his first NFL game. He is likely in line to spell Thomas at nose tackle.

“The more snaps these young players can get, the better off they’re going to be and the better off we’re all going to be,” LeBeau said. “We try to get them in there as soon as we can. There is no experience like game experience, so we’re looking forward to seeing what he can do.”

•NOTES — Keisel, who sprained his knee in the Cleveland game, was a limited participant in practice Friday and is expected to play in a reserve role Monday night. Safeties Mike Mitchell (knee) and Troy Polamalu (veteran’s day off) also were limited. … Shamarko Thomas (hamstring) did not practice.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dick LeBeau View Post
    The Steelers have taken eight defensive ends in the draft since Bailey in 2001, including two in the first round, and they all had de facto redshirt years. Three became starters, but they did not achieve full-time starting status until their third season or later, a testament to the deliberate way the coaches develop their linemen.

Cam Heyward, a first-round pick in 2011, did not earn a starting job until his third season. Ziggy Hood, a first-round pick in 2009, started nine times in his second season because of injuries, but he did not become a full-time starter until 2011. Brett Keisel, a seventh-round pick in 2002, did not become a starter until his fourth season in 2006.

“The more snaps these young players can get, the better off they’re going to be and the better off we’re all going to be,” LeBeau said. “We try to get them in there as soon as we can. There is no experience like game experience, so we’re looking forward to seeing what he can do.”

it's about time LeBeau is starting to realize that in today's NFL you can't start playing rookies in their contract years...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/18/Tuitt-will-get-first-start-vs-Texans/stories/201410180087[/URL]

“He has great raw material — tremendous size and tremendous athletic ability,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “He’s going to be a good player. You can write that down. You have to give all these young players a chance to grow. He’s making progress. He’s going to be seeing more action because of necessity, but he’s going to be a good player.”

What a freakin hypocrite. LeBeau is the only one who doesn't give these guys a chance to grow because he keeps them on the sideline. If not for an injury he would still be playing a bum like Cam Thomas a DE because he is a veteran no matter how bad. In a nutshell this is why this defense has been in decline..talent doesn't win out and takes a backseat to experience in the LeBeau equation.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Young players have always played when they've earned playing time.
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Young players have always played when they've earned playing time.
    So you believe Cam Thomas has "earned playing time?" When the evaluation of "earning it" is set unrealistically high you can ensure a player never earns it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What a freakin hypocrite. LeBeau is the only one who doesn't give these guys a chance to grow because he keeps them on the sideline. If not for an injury he would still be playing a bum like Cam Thomas a DE because he is a veteran no matter how bad. In a nutshell this is why this defense has been in decline..talent doesn't win out and takes a backseat to experience in the LeBeau equation.
    So true,
    That's why Harrison began the season over Jones. Why was JH even on the team? The only reason for him to be on the team is a devastating injury....then as a backup only.

And we should have never even drafted Shazier if we were gonna re-sign Foote make him starter and keep the talented kid on the pine.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-19-2014 at 04:17 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So you believe Cam Thomas has "earned playing time?" When the evaluation of "earning it" is set unrealistically high you can ensure a player never earns it.
    Just wondering what players people think DL has "kept down", for the sake of playing a (worse) vet? Keenan Lewis? I don't recall the circumstances TBH. I suppose they can say Cam, but even with Cam's apparent ability, he still has legit concerns in his game. I can't think of many others, who would've/could've/should've succeeded, if not for Lebeau.

I honestly can't recall. Help me out.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.