Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: soft' and 'finesse'

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

soft' and 'finesse'

Straight from Bill Cowher....

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2014/10/13/6969601/bill-cowher-steelers-offense-finesse-and-defense-is-soft[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think he is wrong about the offense which plays up the gut as far as running maybe inept. but the defense is soft and passive.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Agreed. I think we're trying not to be a finesse offense. But Cowher's description of the defense is not exactly like coming down from the mountain with the Ten Commandments. More like Captain Obvious.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish I could disagree. But I can't.

The offense has the potential to not be pure finesse. However, despite all the power runs, I'm hard pressed to think of the Steelers lining up on and "and 1" and actually using Blount. This week it was an ill-fated toss to Bell outside. The other issue on offense is that there is not a WR who can fight for the ball. You'd like to see that bigger guy that can make a physical catch in tight quarters even when he is covered. Hopefully Bryant turns into that guy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I wish I could disagree. But I can't.

The offense has the potential to not be pure finesse. However, despite all the power runs, I'm hard pressed to think of the Steelers lining up on and "and 1" and actually using Blount. This week it was an ill-fated toss to Bell outside. The other issue on offense is that there is not a WR who can fight for the ball. You'd like to see that bigger guy that can make a physical catch in tight quarters even when he is covered. Hopefully Bryant turns into that guy.
    I'll fated toss to bell? He usually makes something happen on those tosses but the one were gipson came up and tripped him up he was waiting to set up blocks. If he just turned on the jets to grab the corner it would have worked fine. I'm also curious on Bryant.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, my take on it is this- Cowher is correct in saying they are playing a finesse type offense... The no- huddle, passing approach that they started using at the beginning of the year is a finesse offense. Yes, they have been trying to run more, however, they still don't use a FB or even a 2 back formation via Haley's offense. You wanna get down and dirty? Smashmouth style? get a FB in there, a real FB... I did like the game plan Haley was using yesterday at the beginning of the game. However, when they only scored the one FG and the 2nd one was botched, that is when it seemed the game turned. Especially, when Cleve. marched right down and scored. Think how the game would've been different if they were up 14-0 or even 10-0... So, Haley is trying to utilize the run more, however, I would STILL like to see them use a FB in there at times..After the browns got a lead, they pretty much had to abandon the game plan..

Back to the passing game... My main concern with this offense- are the WR's. Outside of AB, they all are avg. We are seriously missing Cotch and Sanders. And maybe even Wallace too.

I believe what Cowher said was spot on...We have no identity on O and the D is soft. Playing monday morning QB here, I would have rather seen them use ALL of their draft picks this year for defense. Archer was a waste of a 3rd round pick, imo.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 10-13-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wheaton isn't average. He just needs to get on the same page as Ben and more confidence needs to be built with that pairing. Wheaton IMO has the tools to Antonio brown good. He's already made some ridiculous grabs. He just missed catching the one Ben cleslry overthrew and the passes he did "drop" were because he wasn't getting around in time. We just need his game to mature. I think he's going to be crazy good. I also think its way to early to declare either way what archer is or isn't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I'll fated toss to bell? He usually makes something happen on those tosses but the one were gipson came up and tripped him up he was waiting to set up blocks. If he just turned on the jets to grab the corner it would have worked fine. I'm also curious on Bryant.
    The bottom line is it didn't work. The Browns Dline was already banged up coming into the game. You brought in Blount for a reason. Especially with Haley seeming still intent on establishing the run into the third quarter, why not use a power run in that situation?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The bottom line is it didn't work. The Browns Dline was already banged up coming into the game. You brought in Blount for a reason. Especially with Haley seeming still intent on establishing the run into the third quarter, why not use a power run in that situation?
    I agree on running blount and I can't say I loved the toss call in that situation. I just thought it was being implied that the toss doesn't work with bell which isn't true. Either way the play calling leaves a lot to be desired.

Legend

User Info Menu

Finesse = too cute. Play simple Offense. You need 2-3 yards. Go straight ahead, use the battering ram which you brought in specifically, and add blockers to help him get there. Cowher is right. There are times this team needs a simple first down & the Steelers find the hardest possible way to make it- or go away from their strengths to achieve it. Ben is 'too locked in' on Brown at times, and is failing to use Wheaton or Heath Miller. Wheaton has proven to be at least as capable as Cotchery. That's good enough. In my opinion, he's got a lot of talent. But he doesn't see enough targets.

Defense = Soft. Right again. We can't win a straight up fight because the DL is not STRONG enough. Forget talent- they are too 'finesse' when a 3-4 Zone Blitz scheme needs power up front. The LB's are supposed to be your 'finesse' in the Zone Blitz. Certainly not your lower than averafe strength NT who is supposed to open lanes for the ILB's. Or the DE's who are supposed to suck in at least 1 double team to free up the OLB's.

They have not replaced Hampton at all, and the play on the field shows as the whole D breaks down schematically.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR