Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scathing FO article on Steelers vs. Tampa

Legend

User Info Menu

It shouldn't be a surprise. For years the offensive philosophy of the Steelers was 'get a lead, then turtle ball, while relying on the defense'. Doesn't always work, but worked more often than not as a testament to making the playoffs in 6 out 10 yrs. Few other teams in the league even sniff that.

The bigger question is whether the offensive philosophy should remain the same. It's something that has certainly been debated in this forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems to be more scathing for lebeau rather than haley, I mean calling him gutless for not going for it on 4th and 3 with a lead seems a little ridiculous. I agree about lebeau I think his scheme is outdated, it works great against teams who run, run, pass in 3rd and long.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It shouldn't be a surprise. For years the offensive philosophy of the Steelers was 'get a lead, then turtle ball, while relying on the defense'. Doesn't always work, but worked more often than not as a testament to making the playoffs in 6 out 10 yrs. Few other teams in the league even sniff that.

The bigger question is whether the offensive philosophy should remain the same. It's something that has certainly been debated in this forum.
    Our offense doesn't play turtle ball, the only time we tried to run the clock out was under 2 minutes with the lead, other than that we where throwing bombs, running end arounds, and doing flea flickers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Clearly, LeBeau needs to go...

Please, go out and find the next Tim Lewis to replace him...

You complain about him while he is here, but you may be crying a different tune once he retires....

You complain about the number of comebacks, which is valid, don't get me wrong, but if the Steelers are never ahead in a game...well, that will also reduce the number of comeback victories our defense gives up, won't it?
    We could just be content with leaving things the way they are until it works or lebeau dies. If he's not getting it done then its time to go, you act lebeau is irreplaceable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wow. that article really digs into the numbers that give credence to the impression many of us have had over the years. playing down to the opponents and not being able to hold the lead.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

No, no but he is the creator of the zone blitz.
    This can't be true.
    We never blow leads.
    We never let inferior teams back into games in the 4th quarter.
    This is what sticks out most to me and has for awhile now
    LeBeau's famed defense puts up great stats - except when it matters most

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    We could just be content with leaving things the way they are until it works or lebeau dies. If he's not getting it done then its time to go, you act lebeau is irreplaceable.
    Well, we're going to find out sooner rather than later...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

You complain about him while he is here, but you may be crying a different tune once he retires....

You complain about the number of comebacks, which is valid, don't get me wrong, but if the Steelers are never ahead in a game...well, that will also reduce the number of comeback victories our defense gives up, won't it?
    A lot of us are crying NOW...

The D is awful, it really can't get much worse without DL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's time...after this season.
    Last edited by sick beats; 10-02-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

True.
    Several factors come into play.
    Our "then" number one defense is paired with a middle of the road or worse offense which means our leads are small.
    We hold them BELOW their average score but the few games we lose tend to be comebacks.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher