Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "Players coach"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Ah, I see...

So, you didn't like his honesty...

I didn't think it was petty or weak...he was asked about it and answered honestly...

For someone who spoke out about standing in judgement of another human being, you seem to have changed your tune in this instance...
    yep, spot on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ah, I see...

So, you didn't like his honesty...

I didn't think it was petty or weak...he was asked about it and answered honestly...

For someone who spoke out about standing in judgement of another human being, you seem to have changed your tune in this instance...
    Nice tactic. Don't address the solid rebuttal of your argument. But, I'll play...no I didn't like the content of his honesty. I think I have made that very clear. To me it appears weak, whiny, and petty. I believe there is a better venue for him to vent if he feels frustrated. If there were some racial issues, he just magnified them. He showed he can be shook by a simple line of questioning. He lied when he said it didn't bother him. Right or wrong, I think a little less of the man after he said it. I am entitled to my opinion, you to yours.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Spin it however you like, this is what Tomlin actually said.
    Dude you miss the point.
    WE KNOW that is what he said. I never said he didn't.
    There is no spin.

Back to my point. Tomlin actually does not act like a players coach. THAT is why he said what he said.

Dick Vermeil....players coach....old white dude.
    But Vermiel hugs his players, cries with them, loves them like family.
    Tomlin ain't saying that those types are NOT viewed as players coaches.
    He is not saying it is wrong to call a black coach a players coach.

What makes HIM a players coach?
    He does not ACT like one. THATS the point

Shawn, you said "players like to play for him".
    Players like to play for a winner.
    They give BB a discount to play for him.
    I guaranty you the more he loses the less players are going to want to play for Tomlin.

Shawn you are a reasonable guy, I really am surprised you missed my point. Let me try again, I'm sure I can reach you.

Im a a black guy from Hawaii.....EVERYBODY thinks I love Obama.
    That is not racist, but do you honestly think for one minute it has nothing to do with my race?

Heck, other BLACK PEOPLE make that same assumption.

NOTHING I have ever said or done would lead someone to that conclusion.
    I never voted for the man, or anybody and could care less.

Tomlin is LESS CHUMMY, not putting his arms around players, never expressing much of any emotion about players. Heck players don't express that much emotion for him. He is cold and impersonal even in how he talks about them.

Think about it, honestly tell me I'm wrong.
    If he LOOKED Like Dick Vermeil, how often is Tomlin called a "players coach".
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-01-2014 at 11:33 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Nice tactic. Don't address the solid rebuttal of your argument. But, I'll play...no I didn't like the content of his honesty. I think I have made that very clear. To me it appears weak, whiny, and petty. I believe there is a better venue for him to vent if he feels frustrated. If there were some racial issues, he just magnified them. He showed he can be shook by a simple line of questioning. He lied when he said it didn't bother him. Right or wrong, I think a little less of the man after he said it. I am entitled to my opinion, you to yours.
    Oh, if there had been a solid rebuttal, I would have addressed it...

At any rate, you are correct, we are entitled to our own opinions...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree it served no good purpose. But I think this may have been a long time coming. But once race comes up people stop hearing each other. So it was bound to be misunderstood so he should not have gone there.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I agree it served no good purpose. But I think this may have been a long time coming. But once race comes up people stop hearing each other. So it was bound to be misunderstood so he should not have gone there.
    Yep. As I mentioned before, as soon as a black man mentions anything about race, he is immediately subjected to being invalidated and/or discredited...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep. As I mentioned before, as soon as a black man mentions anything about race, he is immediately subjected to being invalidated and/or discredited...
    Sadly it often works both ways. It is difficult for people to see a perspective they have not experienced.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-01-2014 at 11:59 PM.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I have no issues with a black man mentioning race issues if it has clear merit. If a white man mentions anything about race he is a bigot. That is the world we live in.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

The more the argument goes on, the less I think it matters.

Who cares?

For mine, Tomlin lost his cool for a short while. He's under pressure. So be it. We can't all be Ice all the time.

Chalk it up as the pressure starting to show a bit. You don't think, for 1 second, that Tomlin KNOWS that his race will ALWAYS be an issue, simply because of the Rooney Rule & being the coach of the Steelers?

I'm betting he tries everything possible to be as 'grey' in his personality as he can be. I agree with Lemming, I think he goes out of his way to appear to 'not be' a players coach. He is rather impersonal. It's always "men" this, and "next man up" that. When was the last time he said "I love these guys like brothers"?

Being called a 'players coach' is a PERCEPTION often brought about by the media. Outside of a poll saying he's the 2nd most popular coach for players wanting to play for (which could as easily be explained as players like success), and 1 selfie with James Harrison, where is the overiding evidence that Tomlin is buddy-buddy with the players?

Why do we assume he is a 'players coach'?

Ask yourself that 1 question.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I have no issues with a black man mentioning race issues if it has clear merit. If a white man mentions anything about race he is a bigot. That is the world we live in.
    However, ones personal experience and resulting world view can color ones definition of "merit". We can easily be dismissive of a POV that we have never experienced.

TCFCLTC-