Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin insulted

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin insulted

Tomlin insulted

by Ray Fittipaldo
    Sept. 29, 2014

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was asked in an interview with Fox about being referred to as a “Players’ coach.”

Tomlin took offense to the line of questioning and suggested he is called a players’ coach because of his race and his age.

“You know, it doesn’t bother me because I don’t worry too much about what people define me as, you know,” Tomlin said. “But at the same time it’s something that I get tired of addressing or answering over the last eight years because invariably, you know, I think it means something about my age and my race, you know.

“And I’ve been doing this job for eight years. And I think anybody that I work with will tell you that I mean business and there’s no blurred lines in terms of the relationships that I have with the guys in terms of their roles and my roles. And I think sometimes it just is somewhat insulting, to be honest with you…

“I just, I get asked it so much and I’ve been doing the job so long I just get tired of it. Dick LeBeau is an old, white guy, that’s got unique relationships with players. He’s a players’ coach. You know, but it doesn’t seem like he gets asked that question quite as much as I do.”

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/09/29/Steelers-notebook-Unlikely-hero-becoming-fan-of-Heinz-Field/stories/201409290113[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

He's got a point...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Deebo "cried" over DL but got no emotion about either Cowher or Tomlin. Point is valid.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Hit a nerve I see.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Deebo "cried" over DL but got no emotion about either Cowher or Tomlin. Point is valid.
    Deebo is no Cowher fan.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Lots of people called Cowher a players coach. A lot of people called my high school football coach a players coach and he was old and white. The only one bringing race into this is Tomlin, and to be honest he has bigger problems right now than this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Lots of people called Cowher a players coach. A lot of people called my high school football coach a players coach and he was old and white. The only one bringing race into this is Tomlin, and to be honest he has bigger problems right now than this.
    Agreed...maybe he should work less on being offended and more on making sure his team stops with the ignorant fouls.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm missing the point of that being a racist remark. Cowher was a players coach I recall, so was the guy that used to coach the Titans and now the Rams. Can't remember his name. And calling DL an old white guy, that's just fine isn't it. I thought players coach meant the coach is approachable, can communicate with his players ? I didn't realize it is now more eggshells to walk upon. That's it Tomlin, start laying the foundation for when the day you do get released, it wasn't about you not getting the job done after so long it, was all over racism.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Agreed...maybe he should work less on being offended and more on making sure his team stops with the ignorant fouls.
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Interesting that he has this much thought into it, and he inserts the race card, when no one else was.

Is he a player's coach? What is a player's coach? He is called that because he cares very much about his players liking him. He was voted as 1st or 2nd most desired coach to play for, from the players themselves. Word gets out. These guys talk to each other about their opinions of their team, owners, coaches. I don't think it's a bad thing to have players like their coach, but when it's too the point that they don't have to worry about punishment, you get what we have: a loose, undisciplined team that screws up from lack of focus. Did you see all the dropped passes Sunday? That is another sign of a team that is just sloppy and that's on Tomlin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin bristles at “players’ coach” label

Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2014

Before Sunday’s bizarre loss at home to the Buccaneers, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin appeared on the FOX pregame show via a previously recorded interview with Laura Okmin.

During the exchange, Okmin raised the perception that Tomlin is a “players’ coach.” Tomlin seemed to have a problem with that label, even though plenty of successful coaches have been described that way in past years.

“That is the first I ever heard if it,” Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said on Monday’s PFT Live. “He also mentioned young coach too, that kind of took that as a not an insult, but he wasn’t real happy with people calling him a players’ coach because he thought it was a little racist and because he was a young coach. There were times Bill Cowher was considered a players’ coach here, and I never thought of it as being a bad thing. Maybe he takes it as such, maybe he thinks people believe he’s coddling the players, which is not the case, I don’t think, any more than Bill Cowher coddled players. I was a little surprised by that.”

To make his point, Tomlin said the defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau could be called a “players’ coach,” too, but that he isn’t because LeBeau is an “old white guy.”

All told, it was an odd moment from a coach who has been with the Steelers since 2007, who has been to the Super Bowl twice, and who won a Super Bowl in only his second year on the job. Players’ coach or not, Tomlin has been successful. And that’s all that matters.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/29/tomlin-bristles-at-players-coach-label/[/URL]