Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does DL get a free pass...

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think the team is the Packers...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yeah, outside of most of the time he's been with the team, which happens to coincide with the only SB appearances since the 70s, he hasn't been all that good...
    There are lots of DCs who could have walked into that 2004 team and had great success. It was loaded with studs in their prime. Same with 1995.

On his fourth **** year here and 8 bad ones in Cincy - that's 12 by my count .

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Interesting analysis and pretty much backs up the idea that the FO is as much responsible for the success of the team as the coaching staff.

Give you three guesses which team is being referred to:
    The FO doesn't pick players in a vacuum. The coaching staff is heavily involved in the draft and FA process.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thankfully, somebody invented Google last night.

[url]http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/37856129.html[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Consistent pressure on the QB and secondary play are the keys to success on defense in today's NFL. We are pretty bad at both. I don't see any changes that could yield significant improvements.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Consistent pressure on the QB and secondary play are the keys to success on defense in today's NFL. We are pretty bad at both. I don't see any changes that could yield significant improvements.
    They were raving about Tuitt in the preseason and then panicked and pulled back Keisel. Tuitt got two snaps on Sunday. They're going to ride the over the hill gang until the wheels fall off, which is hopefully soon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    They were raving about Tuitt in the preseason and then panicked and pulled back Keisel. Tuitt got two snaps on Sunday. They're going to ride the over the hill gang until the wheels fall off, which is hopefully soon.
    Exactly until Mitchell and Dickey leave or get fired expect the same junk.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If we have more 4-3 players then why are we forcing square pegs in round holes? Just because of who the Def Coord is? Pretty much the worse reason in the world.
    How does this team have more 4-3 players? Who would be the DE that would bring pressure with a four man rush and win his individual matchups? This team simply doesn't have that guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    How does this team have more 4-3 players? Who would be the DE that would bring pressure with a four man rush and win his individual matchups? This team simply doesn't have that guy.
    Do they have "that guy" for the 3-4? You keep saying we don't have the guys for the 4-3 and act like we have them for the 3-4 which is proving more laughable this year than the past three. Perhaps we don't have that guy because we don't draft the DE who can step in and play and instead draft a conversion project and wait 2-3 years and hope it works out. I'll guarantee if we were playing the 4-3, our picks would have been different as you well know.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Do they have "that guy" for the 3-4? You keep saying we don't have the guys for the 4-3 and act like we have them for the 3-4 which is proving more laughable this year than the past three. Perhaps we don't have that guy because we don't draft the DE who can step in and play and instead draft a conversion project and wait 2-3 years and hope it works out. I'll guarantee if we were playing the 4-3, our picks would have been different as you well know.
    First, as I've pointed out a number of times, most rookies struggle, regardless of scheme. Go back and look at the pro bowl defense ends last year - most did nothing as rookies playing in a 4-3.

This team doesn't have the personnel for an elite defense in any system. Jason Worilds is getting paid to be a premier pass rusher and he gets no push. He also gets blown out in the run game, something that wouldn't change regardless of whether he puts his hand on the ground or not. We kept hearing from you about how the system didn't fit Ziggy Hood - guess what - he still stinks in Jacksonville, as does their entire defense.

Mike Mitchell jumped an underneath route, leading to the big pass play late against Tampa Bay. Does that change if the team plays a base 4-3?