Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: On D: It's gonna take a long time to fix

Legend

User Info Menu

Heaven forbid we question LeBeau. Heaven forbid we look at whether he is making the changes needed to help the players we have to succeed. We can give him much of the credit when the D is doing well, but we don't dare assign him any of the blame when it's not. When they're winning, dang we're lucky to have such a genius DC...but when they're playing poorly, it's always all on the players, because they are not executing. So it doesn't matter how bad the D sucks, or for how long...DL gets a pass for as long as he wants to be here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Heaven forbid we question LeBeau. Heaven forbid we look at whether he is making the changes needed to help the players we have to succeed. We can give him much of the credit when the D is doing well, but we don't dare assign him any of the blame when it's not. When they're winning, dang we're lucky to have such a genius DC...but when they're playing poorly, it's always all on the players, because they are not executing. So it doesn't matter how bad the D sucks, or for how long...DL gets a pass for as long as he wants to be here.

Doesn't get a pass, but the idea of replacing him at this point is shortsighted.

3 years removed from the #1 scoring defense, 2 yrs removed from a top 5 scoring defense. The core of a very good defense has been gutted in the last 3 yrs. Farrior, Hampton, Harrison. A team cannot loose that level of talent and experience without going through a few years of mediocrity. And even that is assuming good players are just behind them, which is not a given at this point.

Keeping opponents to under 20 pts/gm while the offense scores more than 22 pts/gm should be enough to get to the playoffs in most seasons.

Neither side of the ball is even close to getting those numbers at this point. Does Haley get a pass? One could argue the offense is far under expectations compared to the defense given the returning talent and high draft picks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    no one is calling Lebeau a fraud.. some are wondering if the scheme can only work with HOFers and that's a good question to ask.

change is good when the DC is 77. I'm sorry but there is no way you can convince me it's better to hold onto a coach until he decides to leave when the D is horrible. If Lebeau gets things turned around this season then you guys can laugh us off...

HOWEVER, if we continue to see this D ranked in the bottom half of the league after drafting high picks on defense year after year you really have to be batty to defend Lebeau keeping his job.
    I'm not calling DL a fraud. Just saying that he is too old. Been saying that for a few years now. The scheme is fine (bend don't break, make the tackle, eventually cause an offensive breakdown that leads to turnover). But our players are slow (can't break down to make the tackle), and they don't cause turnovers (they are where the offensive players think they are--i.e. jolting them to knock ball out).

What we need to do now, is get the young guys out there. They will make mistakes, but speed and energy will also cause POSITIVE things to happen, thereby mitigating the (granted) mistakes they'll make due to inexperience.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Doesn't get a pass, but the idea of replacing him at this point is shortsighted.

3 years removed from the #1 scoring defense, 2 yrs removed from a top 5 scoring defense. The core of a very good defense has been gutted in the last 3 yrs. Farrior, Hampton, Harrison. A team cannot loose that level of talent and experience without going through a few years of mediocrity. And even that is assuming good players are just behind them, which is not a given at this point.

Keeping opponents to under 20 pts/gm while the offense scores more than 22 pts/gm should be enough to get to the playoffs in most seasons.

Neither side of the ball is even close to getting those numbers at this point. Does Haley get a pass? One could argue the offense is far under expectations compared to the defense given the returning talent and high draft picks.
    You aren't being straightforward and honest. Whatever rank we ended up having in 2011, this defense has not been good. (And I'm not talking "Steelers defense good".) They don't force turnovers. They miss tackles, there is lots of open space for runners--because we are too slow and not in position (because the lack of speed).

WE DO NOT FORCE TURNOVERS.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can somebody explain this one? DL surprised that a 4-6-1 goal line D couldn't stop passes at the goal line?

• It didn't quite turn out like it was planned in its debut, but the new Steelers goal line defense doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

The Steelers unveiled a goal line defense last week against the Ravens that featured four defensive linemen, six linebackers and only one defensive back.

“No it isn't anything new,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “They did a good job with it really other than the passes. We'll be working on goal line passes this week but we played the run pretty good down there really.”

Read more: [URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6806675-74/game-injury-related#ixzz3DrjpRv5S[/URL]
    Follow us: [URL="http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive"]@triblive on Twitter[/URL] | [URL="http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive"]triblive on Facebook[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

No, Haley doesn't get a pass. Both the O and D have a lot of high draft picks, and I think a lot more talent than some want to give them credit for. Unless they get things turned around, I'd like to see them send both DL and TH packing at the end of the season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You aren't being straightforward and honest. Whatever rank we ended up having in 2011, this defense has not been good. (And I'm not talking "Steelers defense good".) They don't force turnovers. They miss tackles, there is lots of open space for runners--because we are too slow and not in position (because the lack of speed).

WE DO NOT FORCE TURNOVERS.
    $$$$$$
    This is more important than ever in today's NFL. With the rules the way they are, favoring the offenses, you'd best be able to find ways to take the ball away.

Legend

User Info Menu

“No it isn't anything new,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “They did a good job with it really other than the passes."

I'll bet Kubiak's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree when he saw what we were doing on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    The problem is we're drafting DL high in the draft now. The reason they go high is because of their ability to crush the pocket. And then we re-educate them for years, trying to get them to stand up and be "gap sound". It's a bad mix.

Time for Tomlin to bring in his own 4-3 guy. This could be our defense next year (if not sooner).

Tuitt-McCullers-McClendon-Heyward
    Jones/Spence-Shazier-Timmons
    Richardson-Thomas-Mitchell-Allen
    i've said that for years. it doesnt make sense to me. a reason why i was against the hood and heyward picks at the time they were drafted.

iof they go 4-3, then draft all the DL high every year for all i care. i have no problem spending picks year after year on what the focus/strength of the defense should be. and any defense's focus should be getting to the QB