Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I Put This Loss on....

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Pete Carroll's didn't...

Amazing what a different time and talent makes...
    Really? So you're implying Pete Carroll has never made an adjustment or has thrown in new wrinkles to his schemes EVER? You're implying he's never adjusted his defenses to the talent he had at the time rather than try to hammer square pegs into round holes?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Really? So you're implying Pete Carroll has never made an adjustment or has thrown in new wrinkles to his schemes EVER? You're implying he's never adjusted his defenses to the talent he had at the time rather than try to hammer square pegs into round holes?
    Just as you are saying LeBeau has never made adjustment or thrown in new wrinkles...

Of course, both coaches have...but, both coaches have a base defensive philosophy that they have stuck to for years and have experienced success with their respective philosophies...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Just as you are saying LeBeau has never made adjustment or thrown in new wrinkles...

Of course, both coaches have...but, both coaches have a base defensive philosophy that they have stuck to for years and have experienced success with their respective philosophies...
    Then maybe the coach that currently isn't having success is no longer a good fit with his current team.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Perhaps. Or, perhaps, not...it remains to be seen...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Perhaps. Or, perhaps, not...it remains to be seen...
    Fair enough. My concern is the organization feels that they absolutely must keep their coaches for a long time even when it's not working. Just because Noll and Cowher were kept for as long as they were doesn't mean it's a good idea with Tomlin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Bite your tounge, this is total heresy
    When you have a HOF coach you force your players to adapt to the system.
    You absolutely never use your players strengths as an asset.
    Even if it takes 3 or 4 years to have them adapt, you need to force them by any means.
    This is the word of St. LeBeau.....
    Just curious...which players' strengths in particular are you referring to that are absolutely never being used as an asset?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

This year or the past?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is just a massive assumption based on the current state of the defense...without watching the defense they are running so far this year at all

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/43332-Next-Game?p=615569&viewfull=1#post615569[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Fair enough. My concern is the organization feels that they absolutely must keep their coaches for a long time even when it's not working. Just because Noll and Cowher were kept for as long as they were doesn't mean it's a good idea with Tomlin.
    Well, here's the thing about keeping coaches for long periods of time. Since 1969 there have been a few constants with the Steelers as an organization and during that time they have won the most Super Bowls and I believe are the wining-est franchise in the NFL. Now, maybe this model doesn't work any longer, but I don't think that a 2-3 year sample is enough to give up on the model.

1) Build through the draft, regardless of draft success or failure
    2) Keep the coach consistent for as long he's willing to keep the job
    3) Make your own free agents a priority over other team's free agents
    4) Patience in developing players

The hype surrounding DeCastro and Jones is playing a big part in a fans perspective of what is happening. We are expecting these two guys to be All-world because of the hype that accompanied them in the draft and the fact that every mediot felt like the Steelers got great players and great value as well. That hasn't happened yet, so fans believe the players are great and the coaches must not know what they're doing, otherwise, these two would already be great.

Maybe the team needs a new perspective on defense and/or offense I don't know. I don't see a reason to change what has been successful through multiple decades and many rule changes.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu