Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers way.. One thing I don't understand

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers way.. One thing I don't understand

Why do they sign their own players that are mediocre (Gilbert )Instead of going after known big time players, The Dolphins tackle comes to mind who signed a few years back for about the same amount of cash. At first I thought it was a decent contract but looking at his play and the amount of sacks he allowed last year (13) I think ,it seems like a waste of a signing to me.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

It's called a salary cap that has forces you to but Fords and Chevys versus BMW and Mercedes. When you have a franchise QB who consumes like one-sixth of your cap you have to shop for your "second car" at a more affordable dealer. Watch what happens to Seattle once their QB gets his next contract. You are starting to see the effects in SF now that Kapernick got his money.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's called a salary cap that has forces you to but Fords and Chevys versus BMW and Mercedes. When you have a franchise QB who consumes like one-sixth of your cap you have to shop for your "second car" at a more affordable dealer. Watch what happens to Seattle once their QB gets his next contract. You are starting to see the effects in SF now that Kapernick got his money.
    they stomped Dallas...

until I actually see a decline from the 49ers I will take a wait and see approach. I think Kaep's deal is cap friendly but don't quote me on it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's a good point, but Gilbert ain't making chump change. So why not spend it on a BMW instead of a Yugo.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    they stomped Dallas...

until I actually see a decline from the 49ers I will take a wait and see approach. I think Kaep's deal is cap friendly but don't quote me on it.
    Effect may not be immediate but over the next two years or so they won't be able to keep some players they would like to and their depth will suffer. I agree that they won't go off the ledge THIS season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kaepernicks deal is friendly in that they can cut him after a few years without being on the hook, but as long as hes there its a pricy deal.

They also have to work out a deal for Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Aldon smith if they decide to retain him past the 2015 option, Mike Iupati, they also have cap hits of $8m, $9m, $9m, and $10m over the next 4 years for bowman, and they have to decide if they are going to pay willis again to retire a 49er.

Not in bad shape right now, but theyve got some young, cheap talent that wont last much longer at the current price tag

Starter

User Info Menu

The NFL's salary structure is absolutely designed so no one team stays alone at the top for very long. Good teams find ways to rebound without having disastrous, bottom-scraping years. The Steelers are currently in the re-build process after going to 3 (and winning 2) Super Bowls in the last 10-years.

I see them getting better and better as the year moves forward and finishing at 10-6 this season. If 8-8 is "scraping the bottom" for this team then we as Steelers fans have to consider ourselves very lucky!

Starter

User Info Menu

^ There it is!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Why do they sign their own players that are mediocre (Gilbert )Instead of going after known big time players, The Dolphins tackle comes to mind who signed a few years back for about the same amount of cash. At first I thought it was a decent contract but looking at his play and the amount of sacks he allowed last year (13) I think ,it seems like a waste of a signing to me.
    I couldn't agree more. We get a new OL coach, and giving Gilbert a new deal and.......................he still sucks. I have maintained all along that Gilbert is good at two things: holding calls and letting the DE blow by him. Last game just proved my point further. Gilbert sucks and the Steelers were fools to sign him to a new deal. I mean, how can they be this stupid? This is their job.

Legend

User Info Menu

Effect may not be immediate but over the next two years or so they won't be able to keep some players they would like to and their depth will suffer. I agree that they won't go off the ledge THIS season.
    Depends on if these teams win a SB and try to keep old vets for one last run.

Maybe they lose a few players but I don't think we will see the drop off some are expecting unless .500 is considered falling off a cliff.