Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worilds in Run Defense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

PFFs motto should be "We watch every snap, so you dont have to"

Blindly quoting PFF saying "he graded out _______" means absolutely nothing. He played a fine game, had one bad missed tackle but overall looked pretty good, an overall good showing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well I will take someone who gets paid over some personal vendetta fans any day until I rewatch the tape.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I used to follow PFF grades pretty closely, but find their entire system flawed. Having no knowledge of the plays that are called, on O and D, give them very little insight into the results of jobs done by Olinemen and defenders.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I used to follow PFF grades pretty closely, but find their entire system flawed. Having no knowledge of the plays that are called, on O and D, give them very little insight into the results of jobs done by Olinemen and defenders.
    While that is true, but so are the fans perspective. So everything should be taken the same way then.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I like everyone has a "skewed" opinion including PFF. That's why it's an opinion. What I know is my eyes said JJ is standing out a bit more...seeing him fly around. Actually on one play I thought it was the old Troy...dude looked fast. That sack he had was a nice one...beat a couple guys to get it.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    While that is true, but so are the fans perspective. So everything should be taken the same way then.
    I agree. PFF is probably more objective than the fans "eye test" that is skewed to supporting their own agendas. I don't think anyone can argue that PFF probably has a better and more systematic and rigorous approach to analysis and it probably a better indicator than what fans bring to this.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree. PFF is probably more objective than the fans "eye test" that is skewed to supporting their own agendas. I don't think anyone can argue that PFF probably has a better and more systematic and rigorous approach to analysis and it probably a better indicator than what fans bring to this.
    This is coming from the guy that is the least objective person on this board.

I've worked on a Business Intelligence (BI) & Analytics team that is much larger and difficult than PFF's operations for the past several years and I can tell you that PFF is flawed in a major way when it comes to player grades. I'm a big believer in BI, analytics and statistical analysis but you have to put things into context and sometimes football knowledge and common sense still applies. It's 1 tool... not the end-all, be-all.

Anyone watching the game could tell that Jones played better than Worilds especially in run defense. Obviously, the Browns thought so because they continued to attack his side and saw success doing so. Obviously the Browns didn't consult PFF before calling those successful plays. lol
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So what are we going to do about it? This cannot persist far into the season.
    I would suggest playing Kiesel and Heyward at the ends on running downs until someone else proves they can do it
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    So what are we going to do about it? This cannot persist far into the season.
    I would suggest playing Kiesel and Heyward at the ends on running downs until someone else proves they can do it
    #1 - Find a new NT. McClendon is not a legit starter. McCullers? Dr Archer?

#2 - Get better play from Worilds. He's getting paid HUGE money. Most importantly, he needs to stop trying to guess whether it's a pass or run. He's trying to get a jump on RT for a sack but the Browns knew it, so they started running right at him and he's eliminating himself from the possibility of making the tackle. It's a selfish play on his part and is not team defense.

#3 - Reduce Cam Thomas' playing time with even more rotations. Keisel, Tuitt and even McClendon (if McCullers sees time at NT).
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

The left side of the defensive line had real issues with gap control and run defense. I was hoping Thomas would be a little more stout than what the Steelers had in the past, but alas Thomas was pushed and shoved pretty much at will by the OL. I'm willing to give him a mulligan for his first game with the Steelers, but if this is a sign of things to come, the Steelers might need to check the waiver wire.