Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No-huddle offense gives Steelers defense fits

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCitySteel View Post
    Come again?

The 2nd half was about a rookie coaching staff handing ours its lunch.
    Let me fix that for you "The 2nd half was about a rookie coaching staff handing our Legend, genius, Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator his lunch"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    Some healthy skepticism is never a bad thing.
    You have to be skeptical of the NFL and the bookies. That second half was a bit shady but hey, the Steelers won and the Browns covered the spread so it's all good I guess.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Out coached. Out smarted. Lack of preparation. Cover the spread issues tongue in cheek.
    Browns ran 64 plays Kiesel made 2 tackles and Thomas 1. Now when you can't stack and shed or get to the passer it does look like you're out smarted but the answer is more simple then that. Our DE's in the 5 teck must be able to stack n shed and they have got to at least help move the qb off the spot. Now McClendon had a few moments and Heyward too but just not enough. Could they have gotten worn down? Possible that conditioning was a factor. I say McCullers may need to be active on game days to keep d line fresh and Tuitt needs to see more reps. We got next to nothing out of Thomas and that is going to be seen by the coaches and change will come.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers D has sucked against the hurry up passing teams for the last 10 years. How was this anything new?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    The Steelers D has sucked against the hurry up passing teams for the last 10 years. How was this anything new?
    Shouldn't have been. Makes it all the more incredible that they weren't at all prepared for it. Steelers' players were looking to the sideline for direction, but not getting it in time. Very poor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Let me fix that for you "The 2nd half was about a rookie coaching staff handing our Legend, genius, Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator his lunch"
    It was also about our offense coordinator keeping the defense on the field with overly confusing and, at times, mind boggling play calls.

Yes, the defense stunk, no question. But on a day that was really hot in the son, it would have been nice for the offense to give them a bit of a breather.

Starter

User Info Menu

I read this morning that the Browns were snapping the ball so fast that the Steelers d coaches weren't getting the calls in to the players fast enough. Led to many snaps where guys were standing up waiting for the call when the ball was snapped.

That's gotta get fixed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It was also about our offense coordinator keeping the defense on the field with overly confusing and, at times, mind boggling play calls.

Yes, the defense stunk, no question. But on a day that was really hot in the son, it would have been nice for the offense to give them a bit of a breather.
    I'd agree with this accept that the browns came out of the half and marched 80 yards in 6 plays as if the Steelers didn't have anyone on the field. And then they did it again with their second possession (59 yards). There's no excuse to be gassed after a first half where the O had that much time of possession and they just had halftime to recover.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'd agree with this accept that the browns came out of the half and marched 80 yards in 6 plays as if the Steelers didn't have anyone on the field. And then they did it again with their second possession (59 yards). There's no excuse to be gassed after a first half where the O had that much time of possession and they just had halftime to recover.
    On the fist drive in particular, absolutely, I agree with you. I was more focused on later in the third and into the fourth.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I read this morning that the Browns were snapping the ball so fast that the Steelers d coaches weren't getting the calls in to the players fast enough. Led to many snaps where guys were standing up waiting for the call when the ball was snapped.

That's gotta get fixed.
    Here's my question about the hurry up offense against any defense, not just the Steelers. If the offense wants to run no-huddle, they give control of the offense to the quarterback who basically becomes the OC. Can't a defense do the same? When the Browns went no-huddle isn't the first thing that has to happen is turn control of the play calling over to the signal caller of the defense? If that guy see's the offense changing personnel, shouldn't he be able to make personnel changes to reflect what is happening? Why were the Steelers trying to get defensive calls into the huddle from the sideline?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount