Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers surprised by no-huddle

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers surprised by no-huddle

How is an NFL team surprised by this nowadays? It's not like this is 1988...well, it might be like that.

But unlike the Eagles, the Browns didn't run the no-huddle during the preseason, and the Steelers were caught off guard.
    “It was a nice little curveball they threw in there,” safety Troy Polamalu said.
    The Browns didn't use the no-huddle in the first half, and the offense was stagnant. They came out in the second half and ran it on 29 of their 40 plays. The Browns didn't plan to go to the no-huddle that much, but facing a 27-3 halftime deficit, Cleveland coach Mike Pettine figured to give it a try.
    “Just a change-up,” Pettine said. “Forcing teams to think a little faster, getting lined up, getting some first downs. It gets them tired.”

Read more: [URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6749261-74/steelers-browns-huddle#ixzz3CgoTR7Fu[/URL]
    Follow us: [URL="http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive"]@triblive on Twitter[/URL] | [URL="http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive"]triblive on Facebook[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

The crowd sucked yesterday. I was freaking screaming my head off whenever we were on defense, and during the second half, except for 3rd down when the freaking scoreboard had to tell the fans to start making noise, the only other person that I could hear making any noise whatsoever in my section when we were on D was my 9 year old daughter. I couldn't believe that they were able to run no huddle and Hoyer could audible as he pleased on the road because the fans didn't seem to care enough to get loud.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

We are up 27-3 and surprised by the no huddle? Not buying it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The crowd sucked yesterday. I was freaking screaming my head off whenever we were on defense, and during the second half, except for 3rd down when the freaking scoreboard had to tell the fans to start making noise, the only other person that I could hear making any noise whatsoever in my section when we were on D was my 9 year old daughter. I couldn't believe that they were able to run no huddle and Hoyer could audible as he pleased on the road because the fans didn't seem to care enough to get loud.
    That sucks to hear... I was watching from home and could tell the same thing. Noone getting loud or obnoxious trying to make it harder on the Browns offense.... Are we THAT spoiled?? Or was everyone just black out drunk after halftime when we were up 27-3??

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Unfortunately, our game day fan base has evolved/degenerated into a really pathetic bunch. Yes, there still are the diehards mixed in but more and more of the fans are sitting in the stands paying more attention to their fantasy teams on their phones than the plays on the field. The way the game has evolved also has not helped maintain the intensity of our gameday fan base. Hard hitting/ knock their heads off defense is what get the traditional Steelers fan going...unfortunately that type of football is being eradicated by GODell. Fortunately, they still play renegade a few times to stir the blood but even that's becoming a beaten dog.

I'm pretty much done paying a premium to go to games. If someone wants to throw some tickets my way when I visit home, I will not pass them up but I'm not going out of my way to get them. (I would pay the premium to go to a home AFC Championship game as an exception but that's a special case).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree. How about our defense just doesn't have any answers like most of the defenses in the NFL right now.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I do. Sadly, I think they were genuinely surprised...adds to my concerns about this coaching staff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Considering the Steelers O has been talking about adding a lot more no huddle on their side of the ball since last season wouldn't the D have had more than ample opportunity to practice against it?

And no-huddle or not, Hoyer carved them up for 80 yards on 6 plays coming out of the half. NO excuse to be tired for that or the next drive when he took another 6 plays to go 59 yards. Pathetic excuse making.

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably because fans are getting tired of screaming their lungs out on 3rd and long and watching teams convert while we rush 3 or 4.
    Announcer said Heinz was empty after halftime.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I do. Sadly, I think they were genuinely surprised...adds to my concerns about this coaching staff.
    I feel for you if you believe they were surprised...

sorry, not buying that lie.