Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: Steelers lucky to have Mike Tomlin as coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    "the measure of a great coach is what they do when the team is losing." I wouldn't say it's THE measure but it's certainly a factor. One of Noll's greatest coaching jobs may have been with the 1989 team, which lost to Cleveland 51-0 in the opener and then lost 41-10 to Cincy in week two. Who would have thought that team would beat that same Cleveland team later in the season and make the playoffs?

Last year, to be blunt, we didn't have a very good team going into the season. No Heath Miller, no Bell, a mediocre corps of RBs, a poor O-Line, and topped off by the Pouncey disaster five minutes into Game One, which not only ended Pouncey's season but affected DeCastro mentally for a month or so. So we go 2-6 and the cry was "Tomlin has lost the team". Then I guess he found the team in the next eight games.
    And these are great points. If we are to debate about a coach, race shouldn't play a factor in our discussions. I was impressed with the come back last season after going 0-4...it told me much about Tomlin as a coach. He didn't pack it in nor did the players. They showed heart and that starts up top. With that said, I want to see progress this year. Another 8-8 season or worse and the fire Tomlin talk will start.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Crazy lofty expectations are..... crazy. Cook isn't talking about those who are critical of Tomlin for the last 2 seasons. He is talking about fans who never wanted Tomlin and want him fired every offseason.

Cowher didn't get away with losing or having unprepared teams? Hmm... I think he did.
    No Cowher never got away with having unprepared teams...or losing squads. Were you at the Trib when Cowher was coach? Ok, if not then you don't know what you are talking about. Cowher got much more grief than Tomlin. Why? Because people are afraid to criticize him for fear of being labeled. But, obviously you believe because Tomlin is black is being unfairly critiqued...please.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    if ANYONE dismisses the fact that MANY ppl don't like TOMLIN because he is black.. they are morons... this isn't the ANDY GRIFFITH show. This is the real world....

I run a few groups on facebook and i see MANY MANY racial undertones being thrown all the time... it's disgusting.. my friend who got me into the Steelers never wanted to give Tomlin a chance because he is black.. He still won't respect him until "HE WINS Us" another Superbowl..

Recently he told me that we have to Support him because we are stuck with him.. Same as the president.. haaa.

some ppl man..
    And? What I don't understand is this...why bring up ignorance? This isn't the majority of white America. A black man wouldn't be the most powerful person in the world (second term might I add) if the majority of white America were racist bigots. But, yet here we are...don't critique the black coach...he is getting unfair ridicule because of racism...people are harder on him than Cowher. Come on...I don't believe that. While there will always be a very vocal small minority...and they love to spout on public forums...that isn't the attitude of most decent white folks. So how about we let sports just be sports. If we want racism talk just turn on CNN.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

True, the actions of the few reflect upon the many. Sometimes those few refer to a coach in the midst of a Super Bowl winning season as an "overpaid janitor."

Sometimes I start to think that we may becoming a more tolerant society, but then I read YouTube comments where the most vile garbage is still spewed openly.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    SOME fans care about winning...end of story...
    Only some? Really? Who do you hang out with? Unless you hang out with a different crowd than myself...then I must believe the VAST majority of fans only care about winning.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

BTW: I work with a white Bengal fan who loves his coach...but thinks Tomlin is all polish and is a subaverage coach. Is he a bigot?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    True, the actions of the few reflect upon the many. Sometimes those few refer to a coach in the midst of a Super Bowl winning season as an "overpaid janitor."

Sometimes I start to think that we may becoming a more tolerant society, but then I read YouTube comments where the most vile garbage is still spewed openly.
    I agree with much of this...fair or unfair the actions of a few reflect upon the many. When you read 15 year old kids spewing things on youtube because of a lack of accountability and maturity...it reflects upon the whole. When a grown man calls Tomlin an overpaid janitor with obvious racist undertones in the mist of a SB winning season...it reflects on the whole. When a few corrupt cops act out of racism...it reflects upon the whole. And when blacks loot and riot in the name of "justice" it reflects upon the whole. That is my entire point. When guys like Cook bring these things up, it gives the ignorant minority power to influence public perception. When CNN shows Ferguson footage 24/7 for weeks on end...it gives the ignorant minority power to influence public perception. It divides...and is a form of media segregation. Instead of dividing society by bathrooms and bus seats we do it in peoples minds through the media. I have no idea about the facts of the Ferguson case...what I know is that looting and rioting isn't the answer. It doesn't help...it sets things back...and the media overplaying it further propagates that. When a white cop shoots an unarmed black kid...and it gets overplayed in the media it reflects poorly upon all cops...and brings suspicion to good cops. Same goes for the media hyping racism over criticisms of Tomlin. No different...sells papers and internet ads.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    BTW: I work with a white Bengal fan who loves his coach...but thinks Tomlin is all polish and is a subaverage coach. Is he a bigot?
    I liked the Lovie Smith hiring in Tampa, but didn't quite feel the same way about the Jim Caldwell hiring in Detroit. I must be a bigot like your Bengal loving friend.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And these are great points. If we are to debate about a coach, race shouldn't play a factor in our discussions. I was impressed with the come back last season after going 0-4...it told me much about Tomlin as a coach. He didn't pack it in nor did the players. They showed heart and that starts up top. With that said, I want to see progress this year. Another 8-8 season or worse and the fire Tomlin talk will start.
    Tomlin could easily have lost the locker room last year. In fact, it seemed like some in the media were like vultures circling and waiting for it to happen. It never did. I don't give a rats rectum what the fans think of our Coach's words. We don't have to buy it. The players do. They rallied like champs when it looked for all the world that it would be a lost season. The excuses were there for the taking and they manned up and finished strong. Like you said, that starts from the top.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Didn't catch that. That makes Cook look ignorant. Is it possible that some fans didn't like Cowher because he was white? Probably...yet you never see that mentioned. Why? When we criticize a white coach...ok. When we criticize a black coach it obviously means we are a bigot. I see it the opposite. When people stop using the same standard to gripe, whine, moan, complain whatever you want to call it for ALL coaches regardless of race...that is a problem. We griped about Cowher, probably Noll and now Tomlin...that's how it works. I would bet good money that the vast majority of fans could care less if the coach was pink as long as he is putting up winning teams.
    This is a very bogus argument especially when Cowher coached seeing 99 percent of coaches then was white. And also today that means not to many fans would like any coach because the percent is still high. When a person criticize a coach for winning along with two SB appearance winning one, never have a losing season and 12 win seasons four out of his first seven seasons. And the best thing they come up with is winning with a former coach players is definitely something else motivating them.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]